• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Interview

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
Warning: Long post.

Academy Appointment nomination and NROTC scholarship season is here again. This mostly applies to NROTC or Blue & Gold Academy interviews, but it is probably useful for any commissioning interview.

This was provided by a former squadron mate who is a current carrier C.O. I asked him to do a trial interview for my son prior to his NROTC and Blue & Gold interviews. I doubt you will ever encounter someone in the interview process who will be as intense as he was, but if you can review this checklist and answer the questions in some degree of detail, the interview will go well. Good luck.

- - -
Whenever you are interviewing, there are a few basic rules that always apply. Be mindful of them throughout the entire interview process:

Rule 1 - Water seeks its own level.
Rule 2 - Dress and act the part.
Rule 3 - First impressions are lasting.
Rule 4 - Competition is fierce.
Rule 5 - Be true to yourself.

Just like competitive sports, it is important to prepare for any interview. While you may want to reference one of the many "how to" books, the following will help you prepare:

1. Know all you can about your interviewer and the organization he / she represents so that you sound interested in the position. Additionally, your answers will reflect that you did your homework - something the interviewer is looking for.

2. Prepare a short list of central themes you can incorporate into your answers. Fully develop and memorize these talking points so you can speak intelligently, passionately, and convincingly.

3. Make a list of predicted questions and formulate and rehearse your complete answers.

4. Be well groomed and appropriately dressed.

5. Make arrangements to arrive a few minutes early. If the interview is on base, leave ample time to get through security and obtain a visitor's pass (extra 15 minutes).

6. Leave your phone and other toys in the car or turn them off to avoid distraction.

7. Bring a resume of other background information, or even a portfolio or scrapbook, if appropriate.

Understanding the qualities you are being assessed on can be very useful in preparing your answers to possible questions. When conducting interviews, I attempt to evaluate the candidate on the following general characteristics:

1. Did the candidate do his / her homework about the organization and position?

2. How badly does the candidate want this job?

3. Does the candidate look and act the part?

4. Does the candidate possess the character traits my organization values?

5. Does the candidate possess the skill set to perform the job?

6. What is the candidate's potential for future growth?

7. Will the candidate be worth the training investment?

8. Does the candidate possess good communication skills (listening, speaking, writing, and body language)?

9. Is the candidate someone I would want to work with?

The following are some general tips for any interview:

1. The interview begins at first contact.

2. Show basic courtesies.

3. Control your mannerisms.
3a. Avoid doing anything distracting (fidgeting).
3b. Appear relaxed and self-confident, but not cocky!

4. Be a good communicator.
4a. Maintain eye contact.
4b. Be passionate and convincing.
4c. Come back to your central themes.
4d. Use stories when appropriate to illustrate your point.
4e. Be prepared to ask the interviewer some insightful questions.

5. Always answer the question as completely as possible.
5a. Try and determine the underlying purpose behind each question.
5b. Take a moment to formulate your answer.
5c. It is alright to add or change a question you already gave.

6. Don't be bashful - now is the time to toot your own horn.
6a. Talk with pride about your accomplishments and qualifications.
6b. Give insights into your personality and character.

7. Be honest at all times and avoid even the slightest exaggeration.

8. Smile.

9. Follow up with a written thank you note and ask for feedback on how to do better next time.

Specific advice for the Naval Academy Blue & Gold Officer interview.

1. More than likely, he bleeds Navy Blue & Gold. He loves the Naval Academy and the Navy. He is looking to spend his energy on those qualified candidates who are like minded. Remember, water seeks its own level.

2. He may have several candidates pursuing his time (especially in a Navy town) and can't spend equal time with all of them. You must convince him why he should put you on his "short list." Being a good student and varsity athlete is not enough by itself. You must also give him insight into your character so he can accurately assess traits he views as important, like motivation, persistence, patriotism, integrity, and courage.

3. In his mind, going to the Naval Academy is an extremely high honor. He will assess your understanding of that as well as your burning desire to join the very exclusive rolls of those who have graduated from there.

Good luck!

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
I need a minute to get my eyes functioning correctly again but...good post, thanks.

tomcatblitz

Oh hey, I've been looking for something like this for a while. I still haven't figured out the search function, sadly enough :eek: But this here answers pretty much all of my questions about the interview. Very nice, thank you! :D

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
Oh hey, I've been looking for something like this for a while. I still haven't figured out the search function, sadly enough :eek: But this here answers pretty much all of my questions about the interview. Very nice, thank you! :D

No sweat. Somewhere I have a copy of the grading criteria (i.e. what equates to a 1 and what equates to a 5) for an interview. I think it was specific to NROTC, but the concept is pretty similar across the board. I seem to recall it ran something like this:

Motivation:
5 - Candidate is gung-ho about Navy. If not selected will probably reapply for OCS upon graduation.

3 - Candidate desires a scholarship, but if not selected, he's done.

1 - Candidate only came to the interview because his parents made him. Has no desire to be an officer.

They had several categories.

If I can find it, I'll post it. It isn't something you can memorize, but it will help you better understand the process.

tomcatblitz

No sweat. Somewhere I have a copy of the grading criteria (i.e. what equates to a 1 and what equates to a 5) for an interview. I think it was specific to NROTC, but the concept is pretty similar across the board. I seem to recall it ran something like this:

Motivation:
5 - Candidate is gung-ho about Navy. If not selected will probably reapply for OCS upon graduation.

3 - Candidate desires a scholarship, but if not selected, he's done.

1 - Candidate only came to the interview because his parents made him. Has no desire to be an officer.

They had several categories.

If I can find it, I'll post it. It isn't something you can memorize, but it will help you better understand the process.

That would be outstanding if you did find it :). I need as much help as I can understanding the process, its a bit confusing in some areas.

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
Same Carrier C.O. says he often asks a candidate what his/her favorite movie is, to get them to loosen up, as well as to determine what motivates them.

He asked my son.
Son replied "Topgun."
C.O. then asks "Why?"

Typical answer is usually one of the following:
- The flying scenes were awesome
- I liked the camaraderie
- I like the sense of teamwork
- Landing on an aircraft carrier looks like a real challenge
- etc.

Son is slightly caught off guard, but thinks about it a moment and says
"The Navy pilot got to bag Kelly McGillis."

C.O. says "I think the interview is over. Good luck in the Navy. I think you'll do just fine."

Ventilee

pilot
Contributor
Interview Questions

I was wondering what kind of questions everyone here was asked during their various interviews while they were seeking a commission. I had one of my interviews for a Congressional Nomination last weekend and I was caught off guard by some of the questions and I do not want this to happen again. So, what types of questions were you guys asked during your various interviews? It doesn't have to be Academy-specific I assume, NROTC, BDCP, PLC, and any other commissioning programs are going to ask the same types of questions.

The questions that I can remember from my interview are:

"What will you do if you do not receive an appointment?"

"Why the Naval Academy, why not the Military or Air Force Academy?"

"Why You?"
Probably the one I had the most trouble with, I thought I had a decent answer, but when it came out of my mouth it just did not sound right :(

"Why do you want to join the Military?"

"What is your particular Leadership Style?

"What leadership positions have you had and how have did you handle
them?

"Has there ever been a time when you needed to adjust your leadership style to suit a certain situation?"

"How are your activities that you are currently doing show good time management skills?"

"What about your extra-curricular activites in high school?"

"What is the most difficult thing you have ever done and how have you handled it?"

"How much and what type of research have you done about your life decision?"

Other questions that people encountered that I have read about from other forums were:

"What do you think about women in the military?"

"What was the last/favorite book you read?"

Some people were also asked their opinion about various current events.

Another great resource for interview advice is this thread by a-6intruder

Also, I have a question about answering the 'Why should we choose you?' question. One of the reasons that I think they should choose me is that I know through personal experience that when I am in a fight and I am beginning to lose, instead of giving up/turtling, I will start to hit harder. Would this be a good thing to mention to a board/recruiter/BGO? I am by no means a fighter, just a few scraps at some try-outs to try and impress the coaches, but I feel as though it is something that separates me from other candidates. I am just unsure if they will view the fact that I've been in a few hockey-fights as a positive or negative.

BullGator

Great post! I have an interview coming up (my first), so if any one can help it will be appreciated.

Lobster

Same Carrier C.O. says he often asks a candidate what his/her favorite movie is, to get them to loosen up, as well as to determine what motivates them.

He asked my son.
Son replied "Topgun."
C.O. then asks "Why?"

Typical answer is usually one of the following:
- The flying scenes were awesome
- I liked the camaraderie
- I like the sense of teamwork
- Landing on an aircraft carrier looks like a real challenge
- etc.

Son is slightly caught off guard, but thinks about it a moment and says
"The Navy pilot got to bag Kelly McGillis."

C.O. says "I think the interview is over. Good luck in the Navy. I think you'll do just fine."

I know I'm bringing back an old thread here but I just found this linked in ventilee's thread about interviews and had a good laugh out of than answer, its perfect haha :D.

Lobster

Ventilee,

You pretty much summed it up. In my two interview with BGO's, which proved to be useless because I didn't get into the academy on either attempt, I got asked the same questions, "who are you and what will you do for the navy"

And I feel like you might want to leave the hockey scraps out of the interview. While I agree its a plus during training camp and I myself have been offered a contract after a fight, it doesn't really fit the clean cut navy officer mold that you're going for. I said the same sort of thing in my personal statements but worded it by saying that I have experience failure and understand how to push through, or re-evaluate the situation, try again and succeed. I also said that I continually push myself to be the best and have always been in relentless pursuit of excellence. Just make it understood that giving up is not an option. Not to knock getting in a tilt on the ice, I just don't think its what they Navy is looking for, and many people don't understand the game of hockey or fighting in it so you're better just to stay away from it, someone could take it the wrong way and make you out to be Oogie Oogalthorp, which I'm pretty sure the navy doesn't want.