• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The impossible to make separate thread (Ghost F-35)

taxi1

pilot
Not speculating, but- if it’s true- I’m genuinely curious as to the nature of the issue that would drive a pilot to eject from a powered aircraft with a working autopilot.

Seems odd. Not saying it was the wrong decision. Just… odd.
Reminds me of the E2 over the Med, where they jumped out and the burning plane continued on autopilot.

Obviously a much greater motivation to have it on auto since you have to crawl your way out.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’m wondering how even an autopilot would compensate for a jet with no canopy, multiple hundreds of pounds of weight removed from the cockpit, and a big rocket pushing the nose down. Methinks the software wasn’t written for that.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’m wondering how even an autopilot would compensate for a jet with no canopy, multiple hundreds of pounds of weight removed from the cockpit, and a big rocket pushing the nose down. Methinks the software wasn’t written for that.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had a buddy punch out of of a War Hoover after the pilot misdiagnosed postal gyrations for a spin and applied the wrong control inputs. Punched out going through 10,000 feet out of control, The in trim aircraft continued to fly for some time even though it had two smoking holes in the canopy and two people fewer sitting out in the nose, plane was followed by a contract learjet providing cruise missile practice to a frigate. Once out of fuel It eventually made a nice gentle landing on the surface of the Pacific out in W291.All it took was forcefully removing the pilot from the control stick. once the guy behind the stick was removed rather dramatically the aircraft wanted to fly and did.

edit Sorry guys. On reading my original post I see my stroke damaged brain was guiding my typing, you will likely see some sketchy posts from me for awhile. Therapy is focusing on walking and opening gin bottles with my left hand, not AW posts. ;)

Last edited:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not speculating, but- if it’s true- I’m genuinely curious as to the nature of the issue that would drive a pilot to eject from a powered aircraft with a working autopilot.

Seems odd. Not saying it was the wrong decision. Just… odd.
One needn't think too hard to imagine a half dozen scenarios where this would be justified. Also worth noting that initial reporting - especially through the media (to include PAOs) is usually inaccurate.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I contend that the base fucked away their public messaging on this. Saying they lost the jet and need the public's help to find it was dumb. If people saw something, or find something, they're going to blast it across social media or report it to 911 on their own accord. They don't need prompting from the base PAO. This avoids a lot of the media shit storm/scandal/conspiracy theories/etc. Simply saying the jet is down, pilot OK, recovery efforts ongoing was the better move here.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Local news back home is reporting the debris field is in Williamsburg County near Indiantown, about 7 miles away from the crossroads of Hemingway which I mentioned a few days ago in the BBQ thread.

Note: The Presbyterian Church in Indiantown was burned by the British Lieutenant Colonel Tarleton during the Revolutionary War.

taxi1

pilot
Note: The Presbyterian Church in Indiantown was burned by the British Lieutenant Colonel Tarleton during the Revolutionary War.
Going through Swim-Phys for the last time at Pax, and we had a Brit in our class. As they made him go back and repeat the helo dunker the instructor said, "This is for burning down the Whitehouse in the War of 1812."

Last edited: