• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The importance of mathematics...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonG

Hello everybody. I recently found out that officers have the math courses they've taken on record with the navy. Why is this? Does it have a affect on a pilots career? I am a non tech-major and calculus is not necessary, I can graduate with -HS- math. If it makes all the difference I will take calc. Also, does one have to have a technical degree in order to get into test pilot school? I know it's mandatory for AF pilots but was wondering if the same applies with the navy.

Thanks again as always for the time to answer my questions.

Later,
Jason

Raptor2216

As far as the Test pilot school is concerned, it would be wise to have a technical major listed on your degree. From what I have heard in past, TP school is very competetive and you must have an excellent academic record if you even want to be considered. Again, this is what I have heard from other test pilots, but i'm sure it is correct.

Dawgfan

Pending
pilot
I took calculus, but damnit if I can't figure out what 134 plus 180 is when I'm trying to intercept a radial or something. I think I'm going to bring my TI-82 into the simulator with me.

aviatorshade

Catfish
pilot
Test pilot school is extremely competitive and they look at a few big areas. Taken into account are your pilot skills, military qualities, and academic backround. The people who attend normally have a degree in engineering, a physical science, or math, but you can make yourself more competitive by taking some specific college courses on your own time. It would make sense to have a pilot who can speak and understand the physics of flight so he can give better feedback to the flight engineers. By the same token you wouldn't want a guy in there that is going to turn himself and an x-plane into a smoking hole in the ground. They seem to want well rounded aviators that are unusually strong in all areas. Thats why those astronaut pilots are sh-thot.

Semper Fidelis

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Matt-
One thing I've noticed going from OCS through the first part of Primary is how some people manage to "get by" despite failures or an inability to learn well. The only attrites I know of right now are due to medical or personal problems. Have you encountered anyone beyond Primary, and more specifically in your squadron now that you have to wonder how they made it?

Status
Not open for further replies.