• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Hump...

marmoset54

Final Select Supply Corps
*Mirrored from usnavyocs.com*

Re-reading "Star Ship Troopers" written by Robert Heinlein (1959) for the umpteenth time, a section of the book caused me pause. Juan Rico receives a letter from his former History teacher, Lieutenant Colonel Dubois. In this letter, LTC Dubois mentions that he held off sending such a letter until Rico was "over the hump" in Mobile Infantry School. Many people fall out, be it through injury or lack of will power.

Yes, I am using science-fiction to draw parallels to OCS, but it's a fantastic novel and one I plan to use this fall for my students.

Is there a "hump" at OCS? Is there a point where you KNEW that you were through? Was it week five? Week one? I'm curious as to your comments.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^ This is 100% correct. It ain't over until the morbidly obese lady is singing....

beaverslayer

pilot
^^ This is 100% correct. It ain't over until the morbidly obese lady is singing....

True statement. However that being said, there will be a point when you realize that basically the only way you could fail out is to do something really stupid or get badly hurt, which you can't help anyways so no point in stressing over it. For me it was after ORLP, because I realized that all we had left was academics (which NOBODY rolls for), the personnel inspection (which was a joke), and Candio phase (yeah it sucks, but you have to try pretty hard to fail out at that point).

As long as you don't cheat on your finals or lie to your class officer (our only two washouts after ORLP) you'll be fine.

MasterBates

There are 1000 things that can "kill you" before commissioning.

As simple as rolling your ankle on the run THE MORNING OF.

Poor bastard spent 3 months in GTX.

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
Is there a "hump" at OCS? Is there a point where you KNEW that you were through? Was it week five? Week one? I'm curious as to your comments.
When your senior chief is calling you Sir and telling you to "go over the horizon" and "never come back."

beaverslayer

pilot
How the hell did that happen?

This guy just decided he didn't feel like going to a mandatory all-hands brief for some reason. Our class officer bumped into him by chance in the hallway and asked why he wasn't there, so the guy told him that another officer had sent him on some errand. It took our class officer all of about 5 minutes to find the other LT and ask him about it. They realized the candio was lying and he was gone within a day.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
To echo the above, when I crossed the RI state line in my SDBs.

marmoset54

Final Select Supply Corps
This guy just decided he didn't feel like going to a mandatory all-hands brief for some reason. Our class officer bumped into him by chance in the hallway and asked why he wasn't there, so the guy told him that another officer had sent him on some errand. It took our class officer all of about 5 minutes to find the other LT and ask him about it. They realized the candio was lying and he was gone within a day.

:bigeyes2_

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
I haven't had my chance at OCS yet but I did go through Air Force basic training.. The one thing I learned is that people coming in from all over the country will bring random viruses.. I think the time I went there was actually something on the news about it back in 2003, how at Lackland everyone was getting sick. I remember I got sick pretty bad and thought I was going to get washed back. I tried not to say anything for the longest time in fear of going back in time.. It wasn't until the "Airman's run" that I lost my vision in front of my training instructor. With the sound of him screaming at me, the medic finally pulled him away. I was taken to sick call and finally felt better and was told I had a 103 degree fever and on the verge of bronchitis. Moral of the story is, I was 18 and fearless.. at the age of 26, you just realize somethings are not worth it. If you're sick you're sick, make sure you go to sick call if the moment calls. It's just training and not worth damaging your health over.. If you have to stay another week or two then that is what has to happen.

I'd imagine when you start getting liberty passes and allowed to go out on the weekends, is when you can start feeling comfortable being there.

tomcatfan

Final Select OCS 25 MARCH SNA
I haven't had my chance at OCS yet but I did go through Air Force basic training.. The one thing I learned is that people coming in from all over the country will bring random viruses.. I think the time I went there was actually something on the news about it back in 2003, how at Lackland everyone was getting sick. I remember I got sick pretty bad and thought I was going to get washed back. I tried not to say anything for the longest time in fear of going back in time.. It wasn't until the "Airman's run" that I lost my vision in front of my training instructor. With the sound of him screaming at me, the medic finally pulled him away. I was taken to sick call and finally felt better and was told I had a 103 degree fever and on the verge of bronchitis. Moral of the story is, I was 18 and fearless.. at the age of 26, you just realize somethings are not worth it. If you're sick you're sick, make sure you go to sick call if the moment calls. It's just training and not worth damaging your health over.. If you have to stay another week or two then that is what has to happen.

I'd imagine when you start getting liberty passes and allowed to go out on the weekends, is when you can start feeling comfortable being there.

I'm hoping my working at a hospital, mainly in the ER, has given me a super immune system :icon_lol:

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Once we took over as Candios. I knew if I wasn't retarded and didn't do something stupid (like the above candidate), I'd be OK.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
Once we took over as Candios. I knew if I wasn't retarded and didn't do something stupid (like the above candidate), I'd be OK.
You live and you learn right? Besides that was 8yrs ago.. From what I remember, lots of trainees there were like that. There was something going around the dorms. All I remember is the less I brought attention to myself the better until that blew up at the end ;)... Oh well, anyhow good luck to the OP.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
You live and you learn right? Besides that was 8yrs ago.. From what I remember, lots of trainees there were like that. There was something going around the dorms. All I remember is the less I brought attention to myself the better until that blew up at the end ;)... Oh well, anyhow good luck to the OP.

I meant the dude who skipped the mando meeting. Getting sick is a GIVEN. That has no bearing on making it.