• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Universal Health Care Debate w/Poll (note: it just passed both houses)

Are you in favor of Universal Health Care?

• Total voters

Clux4

Banned
Ok, since you brought it up, who WOULDN'T be affected by this policy.
For starters, folks like you and I; the military.

If the majority of Americans don't understand the underlying issues, then how can they agree that there is need for reform? Furthermore, how do you know either? You've already said you don't give much credence to the polls.

Because I do not understand how my car works does not make me unable to detect that there is something wrong. Ironically, the same works for the human body.

I don't know. I never said I did. I am just questioning the basis for making such a statement. I don't think the polls can accurately measure our response as a nation to healthcare reform. It is just like polling the country for their take on Immigration reform.

@Exhelodrvr: Polls are misleading and with a complicated issue as this, polling errors will abound. Don't forget the prediction that Thomas Dewey was going to defeat Truman in the 1948 election. I will leave you with this, disapproval of the handling of healthcare reform, most likely similar to sausage making (it really ain't pretty) may be low but that does not equate to disapproval of the policy in and of itself.

exhelodrvr

pilot
Clux,
Yes, people love it when politicians promise magical things. But when they find out that they are in fact, not magical, but will result in higher prices and lower quality, they tend to disapprove. And the fact that the Senate is trying to rush this through is the proof that the Senators know that the more the people find out about it, the more people will disapprove.

NUFO06

None
How is bribing Senators to vote for a bill not corrupt, just because they are doing it in the open does not mean its not corrupt. Why is Dodd the only one in the country getting 100 million dollars for his hospital. There is so many payoffs in this bill i dont know how its legal, and if it is legal then it should not be.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
How is bribing Senators to vote for a bill not corrupt, just because they are doing it in the open does not mean its not corrupt. Why is Dodd the only one in the country getting 100 million dollars for his hospital. There is so many payoffs in this bill i dont know how its legal, and if it is legal then it should not be.

How is pork (funding going to his State) a bribe? It may be distasteful to the rest of us, but he's certainly doing right by his constituents.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think it is going too far to point out corruption...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34551523/ns/politics-health_care_reform/
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/20/AR2009122002956.html

Just because this stuff is becoming the norm, doesn't mean it isn't corruption....

The first link describes state attorney generals looking into federal action, I guess they missed the part on federal law being supreme. The second link is pork, not corruption, as mmx1 points out.

How is pork (funding going to his State) a bribe? It may be distasteful to the rest of us, but he's certainly doing right by his constituents.

It is not illegal, if the Senator was to somehow personally benefit then it would be, but I have seen no suggestion of that and thus it does not meet the legal definition of corruption.

exhelodrvr

pilot

How is that not a bribe?

Merriam-Webster:
1 : money or favor given or promised in order to influence the judgment or conduct of a person in a position of trust
2 : something that serves to induce or influence

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For starters, folks like you and I; the military.
For starters, I'm not in the military. Furthermore, everyone gets out of the military at some point. You think the VA system is a bunch of sunshine, rainbow, and lollipops? Think again.

clux said:
Because I do not understand how my car works does not make me unable to detect that there is something wrong.
Ahhh, so I see. Then it is true that people don't need to have a general understanding of the issues in order to know they're against this health care reform. Because, as you say, they just need to be able to detect something is wrong.

Clux said:
@Exhelodrvr: Polls are misleading and with a complicated issue as this, polling errors will abound.
Have you done ANY reading on polling. Any reading at all? To be fair, I used to think exactly along the same lines.

Clux said:
Don't forget the prediction that Thomas Dewey was going to defeat Truman in the 1948 election.
Apples and oranges comparison. People will commonly go into the voting booth with their mind made up with who they're voting for and then change it at the last minute. The psychology behind the act of voting is vastly different than answering a poll.

ryan1234

In the State of Virginia and probably every other state in the country, you are required to have an insurance or you pay a fee mandated by the state(uninsured motorist). Insurance companies set their prices and we are at their mercy. Yes, you are not forced to pay if you do not own a car.

As a point of clarification, the top end of auto-insurance is pretty highly regulated, and auto insurance companies generally pay out more in claims than they take in for premiums (an underwriting loss) - the companies make money based on investments from capital of premiums. The web of comparitive risk and profitability are regulated by the particular state. It is pretty complicated, but all in all, we are not at their mercy - we are at the mercy of the regulators.

Clux4

Banned
As a point of clarification, the top end of auto-insurance is pretty highly regulated, and auto insurance companies generally pay out more in claims than they take in for premiums (an underwriting loss) - the companies make money based on investments from capital of premiums. The web of comparitive risk and profitability are regulated by the particular state. It is pretty complicated, but all in all, we are not at their mercy - we are at the mercy of the regulators.
Yes, they make money through investment of premium but there is also the concept of shared risking that plays a bigger role. It plays a bigger role than you expect. Here is something that talks a little bit about it.

Insurance companies cannot bank their net profit solely on investment gains.

Clux4

Banned
For starters, I'm not in the military. Furthermore, everyone gets out of the military at some point. You think the VA system is a bunch of sunshine, rainbow, and lollipops? Think again.
Thanks for your service to this great nation. You questioned my dedication to this great country in a previous post as if my presence in your military offended you.
Healthcare reform WILL NOT affect VA or TRICARE. I hope you are no implying that.The proposed changes to the VA system will make the claims process run better. I believe Shinseki is going to get the necessary upgrade as he has promised.

Ahhh, so I see. Then it is true that people don't need to have a general understanding of the issues in order to know they're against this health care reform. Because, as you say, they just need to be able to detect something is wrong.
Don't try to twist it. The people are in support of reform. You can't make the stretch that they are against it when the average is not certain that they know enough to make a decision, either way on what is good for them.

Have you done ANY reading on polling. Any reading at all? To be fair, I used to think exactly along the same lines.
Yes. Along which lines?

Apples and oranges comparison. People will commonly go into the voting booth with their mind made up with who they're voting for and then change it at the last minute. The psychology behind the act of voting is vastly different than answering a poll.
Mostly undecided voters change at the last minuet. They change because they do not vote along party lines. Considering the fact that we have a large majority of voters hovering around center on many issues, you assertion buttresses my point, that support for healthcare reform could go either way. So, it is really dangerous to take the results of an inaccurate poll and run with it.
All I am saying is that we cannot take the results of these polls to the bank. They are nothing but that; polls.

@Exhelodrvr: We need our law makers to act fast and move on to other pressing issues. Drawing out this process does not guarantee the success of the passing of the bill. We can always make amendments in the future to correct issues. This Bill is 30 years behind its time. If we are just now getting to it, we definitely have a lot of catching up to do.

exhelodrvr

pilot
@Exhelodrvr: We need our law makers to act fast and move on to other pressing issues. Drawing out this process does not guarantee the success of the passing of the bill. We can always make amendments in the future to correct issues. This Bill is 30 years behind its time. If we are just now getting to it, we definitely have a lot of catching up to do.

LOL! That's perhaps the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard!! Please cue John McEnroe yelling "You can't be serious!!"

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
LOL! That's perhaps the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard!! Please cue John McEnroe yelling "You can't be serious!!"

In his defense, there are a lot of people who would like to see a single payer system of socialized medicine in this country. I'm not one of them, but it's not such a ridiculous concept. It's pretty mainstream in the developed world, so while we may not agree that it should be instituted here in the US, it's not as though it's a completely ridiculous or outrageous concept.

Brett

exhelodrvr

pilot
In his defense, there are a lot of people who would like to see a single payer system of socialized medicine in this country. I'm not one of them, but it's not such a ridiculous concept. It's pretty mainstream in the developed world, so while we may not agree that it should be instituted here in the US, it's not as though it's a completely ridiculous or outrageous concept.

Brett

It's a totally ridiculous concept to say that they should be "acting fast" on this. If the real intent was to reform the healthcare system, and not just grab power, it would be done in a series of smaller, close-to-independent steps, that could be looked at individually, and carefully. The reason that this is being rushed is not because of the urgency, it's because they don't want people to realize what the effect of the legislation will be.