• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Pirates off the Somali Coast thread

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Constructive... what is YOUR solution to the failed state?

Uganda and Burandi already has troops in Somalia working with the AU as we speak. We already fund them as well as the UN, EU, and League of Arab states.

In my opinion increased funding would be better than having the US come in and take military lead or make tomahawk strikes.

Containment. Look at the history. Our support for Ethiopia's war against Somalia (spurred by Ethiopia's Christian leadership's own desire to stamp out a possible Islamic insurgency at home) overthrew the relatively moderate Islamic Courts Union and birthed in its place the Shabaab. The AU forces control only the capitol and have a lick of a chance of regaining any territory because the Transitional government has no legitimacy outside of the city and itself is alleged to have links to pirate group.

This is not a problem you can throw money at proxies to fight for.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's O.K., Slash ... we'll just agree to disagree on this ... and probably 99% of what else goes on in life.

I'll opt for 'action' vice 'talk' anyday, anyway. I learned that hard and valuable lesson 40 years ago ...are you even 40 years old, yet ??? :)

Fine by me, I'll continue to live in the real world and you can continue to enjoy that retirement you keep telling us about. ;)

Does age really matter?

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
What prevents merchantmen from arming themselves?

Legally there is nothing stopping them however;
If you're going to arm the crews, then you will need to train them. The company will obviously have to pay for additional training for the crews.
Not sure how the cost of the insurance on the ship would change if you armed the crew. The ship owners may not be a big fan of additional costs.

Until recently most of the pirates did not harm the crew of the ships they took. However, if the crew of the ship started shooting at the pirates, the violence would escalate.
What would be the liability to the shipping company if some of the crew died in armed combat with pirates??? I'm sure some family would look to get rich of the deep pockets of the shipping company after someone died in a shootout with the pirates, following arming and training by the shipping company.

Historically the shipping companies have looked at the costs of piracy (increase insurance premiums, past along to the customers) as the cost of doing business in this part of the world.

SkywardET

Contrarian
Apparently Somali pirates need to unload some ships/hostages to make room for new acquisitions. Is this another example of how "the system works" in reducing the effect of piracy, like how a Dutch passenger noticing someone trying to light their underwear on fire was also how "the system works." Sorry, that's unfair to a certain inept cabinet secretary.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,749507,00.html

Gee, I guess all those bothersome questions like, what are we going to do about the thousands of future hostages, might have been a little overblown?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Helo bubbas light up, kill pirates attacking merchie

Navy: Helo fires on pirate skiff, killing 4

Naval Enquirer says that a helo off Bulkeley lit up a pirate skiff off Somalia, under the principle of 'extended self defense'. Merchie continued on their way, helo RTB, four less pirates to trouble the high seas. Sounds like a win to me.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Naval Enquirer says that a helo off Bulkeley lit up a pirate skiff off Somalia, under the principle of 'extended self defense'. Merchie continued on their way, helo RTB, four less pirates to trouble the high seas. Sounds like a win to me.

A buddy from that squadron told me about this this morning as we were both waiting to get probed for our flight physicals. Good on the det. I just hope they don't write an Approach article about it.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

This is the way we should be doing business with pirates. Great job done by the crew of the helo.

Yarr
That must've been pretty awesome for the tanker crew. You go from being attacked and calling MAYDAY, to having the cavalry come in with guns blazing and saving the day. BZ!

SkywardET

Contrarian
Next up in Post-9/11 campaigns: intensified action inside and over Somalia?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/06/somalia-piracy-idUSLDE7650U320110706

Ransom payments are illegal, according to the UN. The money worms its way to al-Shahaab and therefore to al-Qaeda. Now the UN is acknowledging the link which is apparently news to most governments. We've done combat operations over Libya for far less. Any bets on the next phase of Operation Whack-a-Mole/Terrorist?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
^ Either Navy Times meant to say Suez Canal, or that truly was an unusual cruise.
finalcountdown1.gif