• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Pirates off the Somali Coast thread

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, this time last year- and even today... According to open sources we have six warships sitting there... I know you are good at looking stuff up, you could do a quick search and find news articles from recent years about the Somali pirates and our Navy's interactions.

Flash, whether you think its important or not pirate activity in that part of the world is something that we send assets to cover. Sometimes that means parking a DDG or 3 (yes, I've actually seen three sitting right off the shore there- with several other ships steaming in circles a little farther out) off the coast to encourage the release of hostages and vessels. I really don't forsee this changing in the near future.

Open source, huh? Well, all I can say is live by the gouge, die by the gouge. I know exactly how many ships we have there and if you have access to SIPR it would be very easy for you to know too.

Like I have said before there are usually several allied ships in the area, and supposedly a Russian one is coming soon, that keep an eye on the pirates. This includes the Brits, Danish, French and others, so you may have seen those ships. And occasionally we will 'surge' to a few more than usual and others will be transiting through there. But with all of our other numerous commitments, we do not have the ships to maintain a large standing force off the Somali coast. Believe me when I say this, Somali pirates are pretty damn low on our priority lists usually.

Dingobat

Guess she don't like the Cornbread either...
mac500x312.jpg

Deploying a "warship"??

Granted I'm a civilian and therefore suck, but this s-can doesn't really conjure up warship for me.

mtp_33.jpg

I was hoping for this ^

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
crsshhhht - "fun police pull over" C'mon Joe that was nothing compared to the '88 version of "Fighter Fling"

I understand but it was fun while it lasted