• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Pirates off the Somali Coast thread

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Or better yet, CIWS in surface mode.

Which is indeed cool...I saw a live-fire when they were first introduced, and four words: Wrath of God, Motherfucker. But it'd be a trick getting them aboard merchies.

Like NavAir said, killing the SOB's isn't the problem. We've obviously got the tools at our disposal. It's finding out who's who in the zoo in order to kill the actual pirate scum. The same guys are fishing or running coastal light cargo two days a week, out pirate-ing another two, and zapped out on khat the rest of the time. Shit, they're the only people in Somalia who have jobs. Looking suspicious really isn't enough to light them up, much fun as that would be, and by the time they actually do anything, it's usually too late and they're aboard the merchie and our problem becomes less War at Sea and more hostage rescue.

Now if we could just get the pirates to start flying Jolly Rogers again, boom, problem solved.

I would bet money that eventually the solution will be a combination of convoy, faster merchies, private security aboard, and a few plausibly-deniable raids when all else fails. Money talks, and the lines are losing money on ridiculous insurance premiums, even if they themselves aren't losing ships.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Now if we could just get the pirates to start flying Jolly Rogers again, boom, problem solved.

Well therein lies the answer then...we just need to get some PSYOPS underway to convince these guys they would be 200% more badass if they hoisted the skull and crossbones.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None

We could start with the Sea Shepherd idiots from "Whale Wars":
img_5922.jpg

navy09

None

swerdna

None
Contributor
They'll probably return them to Somalia and destroy their weapons. It's not like they're going to Guantanamo Bay (I am being serious that is not a threadjack or an instigation to debate GITMO).