• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The great NWU's

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't know nuthin' about the Chiefs doing anything else other than what command leadership requires/desires. YMMV.
Not even the CMC got out of his "box" during my time. Others defined the "box". Outside of the box? "CMC…take care of the troops…stay in grass-roots touch….lemme know what their concerns are. Fix/help where/what you can at your level. I'll do my own "management by walking around". Let's agree to keep each other fully informed. Check?"
R1,
Command Master Chief (now called CMDCM) life has changed quite a bit since your time. Some CMDCMs get their own 1-man/woman staterooms aboard the CVN.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
o
Don't know nuthin' about the Chiefs doing anything else other than what command leadership requires/desires. YMMV.
Not even the CMC got out of his "box" during my time. Others defined the "box". Outside of the box? "CMC…take care of the troops…stay in grass-roots touch….lemme know what their concerns are. Fix/help where/what you can at your level. I'll do my own "management by walking around". Let's agree to keep each other fully informed. Check?"
The wardroom is the command. Don't know too many COs who want E7-E9s undermining their Officers, particularly O-3/O-4s standing OOD, by "correcting" made-up uniform violations in front of entire watchteams. But that doesn't stop the Goat Locker from trying... and sent back to their proverbial box right quick.

MasterBates

I've had 2 COs out of 9 "Fleet COs" (excluding TRACOM with no CPOs) pretty much let the CPO mess way overrun their bounds, to the protest of the XO both times.

Shit changed real quick when the XOs fleeted up, but it's not a great dynamic when what the CPOs want is what happens barring legal issues.

CPOs deciding what the uniform standards were during NWU rollout was the biggest problem.

CMC dictating when JOs can and can't wear bags was problem with the other one. One VAW one HSL, so it's not specific to either community.

Chiefs have a role.
Good Chiefs know their role.
Great Chiefs help the JOs learn their role if they need help with finding where the "this is standards, that is opinion" line is and how to enforce.

But, most CPOs will go with the CMC unless there is a good reason not to, just as most JOs will go with the XO unless there some legal issue. When you have a CMC who thinks he's the CO, and not the CO's right hand man for all matters Enlisted, and the CO lets him do that, is where you get the problems.

exNavyOffRec

Chiefs have a role.
Good Chiefs know their role.
Great Chiefs help the JOs learn their role if they need help with finding where the "this is standards, that is opinion" line is and how to enforce.

Well said, and great CPO's help turn those good CPO's into great CPO's.

The mess knows what CMC's think they are the CO, and we quietly let the new CPO's know that isn't the right way, generally you can figure out what CMC's think they are the CO because the CPO mess is fractured, some will follow that CMC because they want to be in the inner circle, but when that CMC goes it is interesting to see how far out of favor those inner circle guys fall.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.

The mess knows what CMC's think they are the CO, and we quietly let the new CPO's know that isn't the right way, generally you can figure out what CMC's think they are the CO because the CPO mess is fractured, some will follow that CMC because they want to be in the inner circle, but when that CMC goes it is interesting to see how far out of favor those inner circle guys fall.
Yeah but that CMC can be there 3+ years. And its not just the CPO mess that gets fractured, but the wardroom/CPO relationship as well.

exNavyOffRec

Yeah but that CMC can be there 3+ years. And its not just the CPO mess that gets fractured, but the wardroom/CPO relationship as well.

The longest I have served with a CMC is 2 years, good ones often were pulled sooner for better things.

You are right, once the fractures start they spread.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Never wore wash-khakis ashore. I guess we were always forced to wear crisp "awful-awfuls". With ribbons and highly-polished low-quarter browns. Shame on us.

Fair enough. I'm not a fan of khakis in general, but that's me personally. Flight suits are the norm today unless you're standing duty, and I'm not complaining. Kmac has the right idea in reducing the seabag. Bags afloat, type III nwus ashore, blues for dress. Three uniforms, three boots/shoes, a few accessories (ribbons, medals, bow ties, ties, covers) and you're covered for it all.

KBayDog

Never wore wash-khakis ashore. I guess we were always forced to wear crisp "awful-awfuls". With ribbons and highly-polished low-quarter browns. Shame on us.

Over which hip did you wear the onion on your belt? I'm guessing the left hip, because it seems to me that if you put the onion over the right hip, it might interfere with your saluting arm.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Very true. We had a CMC who had already successfully fractured the mess. Well, to be honest, it wasn't that fractured because most were fed up with the CMC. The Wardroom was fed up, as well. At one point there was some initiative being pushed forward by the CMC that was going to cause issues for the Maint. dept. My Maint. Senior Chief, my MMCO, and I were all on the same page. My CO asked that we come up and break it down for him so he could weigh the options. The CMC would be there, as well. No sweat, we had the info we needed.

Unfortunately, a new E-8 who hadn't figured out the dynamics of the squadron yet tried to snuggle up to the CMC during this discussion, wrongfully thinking this would make him points. When he showed up to the meeting (which he wasn't invited to), he started to see that the CMC didn't have the stock that he thought the CMC had. The CO heard the arguments, quickly figured out that not everyone one in Maint. was on the same page (which wasn't really true, just the E-8), and kicked everyone out. I hung back and we started the, "that was weird...what the heck..." discussion.

Not surprisingly, the CO went with our recommendation when we presented him with actual facts and metrics and not an emotional plea with no real substance, something that was common with that CMC.

This particular CMC was highly encouraged to seek orders elsewhere eventually. The front office had to get the ducks in a row first, so it took time, but it did happen.

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
Over which hip did you wear the onion on your belt? I'm guessing the left hip, because it seems to me that if you put the onion over the right hip, it might interfere with your saluting arm.

Smiles and all...