• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Funny isn't it when someone is about to slam you they always add "With all due respect"

A freind of mine once told me that whenever I use that phrase.....stop talking. Nothing good will come of it.

Don't bring fleet values into the forum. Treat the audience like they will one day work for you because they probably will.

I believe that the fleet gouge is integral to helping the target audience on this forum. Sometimes it helps to see a little farther down the pipeline so things make sense now. As a former RAG instructor, I truly believed that I was making my next combat wingman every flight. There was more of a need for mentoring and less need for "harassment package", which does occasionally have it's place. I hope that mentoring continues throughout a career. Why contain this forum to the very basics and standard info found in the written regulations?

BTW: That JOPA crap is for the birds. It never kept me out of hack.......no, I'm not perfect but I've learned how to survive!

The JOPA should be a state of mind and fraternal group of support. It won't keep you out of hack (I, too, know this firsthand), but it might get you the gouge to keep from getting there in the first place.

s/f,

Bevo16

pilot
As soon as I selected SNA, my dad (an old school aviator) bought me an aftermarket leather jacket so I could have one to put the "Been there..done that" patches on. I don't ever wear it, but it looks cool.

If you did buy a non-issue jacket, you could put whatever you wanted on it and wear it all the time. There is no regulation that says you can't buy a jacket, put patches on it, and wear it out in town.

OBTW,

http://www.flightjacket.com

does some nice patches, and they don't take anywhere near as long as the tipsy gypsy. They will put the velcrow on for you.

Pags

N/A
pilot
As soon as I selected SNA, my dad (an old school aviator) bought me an aftermarket leather jacket so I could have one to put the "Been there..done that" patches on. I don't ever wear it, but it looks cool.

If you did buy a non-issue jacket, you could put whatever you wanted on it and wear it all the time. There is no regulation that says you can't buy a jacket, put patches on it, and wear it out in town.

OBTW,

http://www.flightjacket.com

does some nice patches, and they don't take anywhere near as long as the tipsy gypsy. They will put the velcrow on for you.

my squadron is in the process of getting leather patches from them. and i got one of their jackets to wear in lieu of the crappy one i was issued. awesome jacket.

Skeeterman

Banned
The New G-1 Leather Flight Jacket

This is my first post here. So, here goes. Received my gold wings in April 1950 at P.Town. Also was issued a M422a leather flight jacket, the last of the old WWII models. Between that time (1950) and 24 years later, I've collected seven G-1 flight jackets. I still have them all, although they are a little small for the old body of today.
I came upon a photo today of one might call a new G-1. A lot different than the G-1 of past. This one lacks the mouton collar, knit cuffs and waistbands.

Does anyone know if this is a new revision of the old G-1.

Thanks,

call sign.. Skeeter.

web_061103-N-2908O-003.jpg

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Must be a Blues thing. Dare I say it looks like the USAF model flight jacket. Welcome aboard, Skeeter. I'm sure your sea stories will amuse and delight us all.

Brett

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Welcome aboard Skeeter... from your profile it looks like you'll have some great things to offer the forum. Can't wait for the stories.

Skeeterman

Banned
Although the years have past, the lingering, waking up at night from a nightmare of those combat missions in Korea from 1951-1953, is not the best for one to remember. The flak fields in Korea where notorious for disabling a aircraft, and if you were lucky to get back to the carrier, one had to deal with a pitching deck in total darkness, and many times a cold frozen icy landing. Three tours of the Korea war taught you how to avoid dying, and just maybe you had a lucky streak.

Than, when you thought it (war) would never come again, Vietnam was your destnation..two tours, and trying to avoid the Sam's, if you were lucky again. So, sea stories (or in combat terms)..survival missions, is not likely remembered as in flight log book.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Although the years have past, the lingering, waking up at night from a nightmare of those combat missions in Korea from 1951-1953, is not the best for one to remember. The flak fields in Korea where notorious for disabling a aircraft, and if you were lucky to get back to the carrier, one had to deal with a pitching deck in total darkness, and many times a cold frozen icy landing. Three tours of the Korea war taught you how to avoid dying, and just maybe you had a lucky streak.

Than, when you thought it (war) would never come again, Vietnam was your destnation..two tours, and trying to avoid the Sam's, if you were lucky again. So, sea stories (or in combat terms)..survival missions, is not likely remembered as in flight log book.

I understand sir. Thanks anyway for that slight glimpse.

East

东部
Contributor
This is my first post here. So, here goes. Received my gold wings in April 1950 at P.Town. Also was issued a M422a leather flight jacket, the last of the old WWII models. Between that time (1950) and 24 years later, I've collected seven G-1 flight jackets. I still have them all, although they are a little small for the old body of today.
I came upon a photo today of one might call a new G-1. A lot different than the G-1 of past. This one lacks the mouton collar, knit cuffs and waistbands.

Does anyone know if this is a new revision of the old G-1.

Thanks,

call sign.. Skeeter.

I think HEYJOE can shine a light on that one, as he has written a book on USN G-1s. Haven't seen him on the board recently, though....

Pags

N/A
pilot
Almost looks like a leather version of the green nomex jacket....check the pockets.

But the G-1 still looks the same...just the issued ones aren't goatskin anymore and they don't have a mouton collar anymore.

Some mods get this gentleman some wings?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Whoah. The gentlemen in question have chosen not to participate anymore. End of story. This isn't the wives' club, no gossip.

Back to jackets.

Skeeterman

Banned
Sorry to be late for muster. Made a little trip up to Minnesota..

To follow-up on the new G-1 or whatever it will be labeled. I called an old Admiral bud out on Point Loma, Ca on this. He called some one on NAS North Island, Ca, and they told him there was a new modern version that was being issued. He didn't know all the details, but would find out and let me know...

I'm a member of the Vintage Leather Flight Jacket group, and those old 1950s-1970s G-1 are worth a lot of money. In fact, I have five from the 1950s that I could sell on ebay and get approx. $1500 to $2500 each as they are old squadron and name tag patched.