• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
(VX-30 bird)

That looks a lot like Frenchy to me - if it isn't a VX-30 bird then it sure has an evil twin of their CO.

I've known John for 25 years - great guy and there are a lot worse CO's out there.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I agree...I believe that IS in fact Frenchy. Worked with him in IA in Iraq. Great American!

-ea6bflyr ;)

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
It's the VX-30 bird.

VX-30_S-3B_with_1940%27s_Paint_Scheme_%28on_ground%29.jpg

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I never realized how big the S-3 actually is. How much room is inside of one and how much payload/buoys could it carry?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
The cutlass reminds me of that adage: "If it looks wrong, it probably is" when it comes to aircraft design.

teabag53

pilot
(VX-30 bird)

That looks a lot like Frenchy to me - if it isn't a VX-30 bird then it sure has an evil twin of their CO.

I've known John for 25 years - great guy and there are a lot worse CO's out there.

I agree...I believe that IS in fact Frenchy. Worked with him in IA in Iraq. Great American!

-ea6bflyr ;)

It's the VX-30 bird.

IM

Yep, the second picture is the VX-30 plane (with Frenchy) on the line at Mugu. It's not the plane from the video above the picture...

markkyle66

[video]http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675042012_Jet-aircraft_pilot-in-cockpit_black-smoke-rising-up_bombing[/video]

[video]http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675042017_Jet-aircraft_pilot-in-cockpit_black-smoke-rising-up_bombing-bridge[/video]

Pretty cool website. Alot of old stock footage from the 1960-70's. I particularly like the one of this Skyhawk!

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I never realized how big the S-3 actually is. How much room is inside of one and how much payload/buoys could it carry?

The Viking has two pylons that can have racks for up to 3 weapons & a bomb bay for 4 more. Capacity varied by load. It can carry MK-82, 83, 84, Harpoon, SLAM-ER, Maverick, mines, MK-48's & Rockeye. Of course a buddy store & drop tank was much more common. Who cares about buoys?

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
The Viking has two pylons that can have racks for up to 3 weapons & a bomb bay for 4 more. Capacity varied by load. It can carry MK-82, 83, 84, Harpoon, SLAM-ER, Maverick, mines, MK-48's & Rockeye. Of course a buddy store & drop tank was much more common. Who cares about buoys?

Don't forget Mk-46 & Mk-50 torpedoes! I've done many an ASW exercise when I'd be in a dip calling out range and bearings and two S-3'w would be doing a racetrack making multiple weapons run on the target.

gflyer

Geriatric entertainer extraordinaire
Sitting on the beach this weekend in Central Florida and these flew by. Any ID on them?

IMG_9883.jpgIMG_9881.jpgIMG_9886.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.