• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
8 Blade Prop Herc? Da Hell?
The Air Force has a couple on the other side of the fence here. I think the J models come factory equipped with 8 bladed props.

I’ll probably be eating my words later for not backing up the second sentence. Who cares; I'm off to open a cold beer.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
There is a show on the Smithsonian Channel I believe that has a documentary of the 109th. Really in depth about the squadron...highly recommended. Very unique mission. Sucks for the people that they have to resupply in the Arctic.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
There is a show on the Smithsonian Channel I believe that has a documentary of the 109th. Really in depth about the squadron...highly recommended. Very unique mission. Sucks for the people that they have to resupply in the Arctic.

I think it's odd that the a NYANG from Schenectady, NY resupplies people in AK and what not. Sounds like a good job for the AKANG. I'm sure there are no politics involve in that one at all... (smiles in effect)

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
I think it's odd that the a NYANG from Schenectady, NY resupplies people in AK and what not. Sounds like a good job for the AKANG. I'm sure there are no politics involve in that one at all... (smiles in effect)

Sorry Swanee; I think you have your Northern and Southern poles mixed up.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Sorry Swanee; I think you have your Northern and Southern poles mixed up.

Wait... Arctic is North; Antarctic is South... They were around to resupply all those listening/monitoring posts that were waiting for the Ruskies to come bomb us from over the top of the world...

81montedriver

pilot
Why the hell do some Hercs have 8 and others 6?

Do their 8 blades suck as well?

I'm surprised another Herc guy hasn't beat me to it. J-model Hercs are equipped with 6 bladed composite Dowty R-391 props. It's how they come out of the factory.
Now the 8-bladed props on Hercs are not as common but all it is, is a retrofit. They are NP-2000 props. Aren't those the same as on E-2/C-2's?

I have seen them on Cheyenne ANG Hercs as well as the LC-130's pictured above. I can't speak for the LC's, but the Cheyenne ANG also had an avionics upgrade done to their aircraft.
Apparently the 8 blades give more power at slower speeds and it eliminates the LC's from having to use JATO on shorter strips.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Has the diameter of the props also been shortened significantly with the upgrade (Either 6 or 8 blade updates)?

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
They are NP-2000 props. Aren't those the same as on E-2/C-2's?

Apparently the 8 blades give more power at slower speeds and it eliminates the LC's from having to use JATO on shorter strips.
Yup. Same one. Yeah, as MB and others have said, great "as-advertised" system, reality... slightly different.

Has the diameter of the props also been shortened significantly with the upgrade (Either 6 or 8 blade updates)?
No idea about specifics but they look almost identical, I'm sure a slight difference, like an inch or two either way but pretty close. Someone please correct this CAT1 if I'm talking out my ass yet again.

MasterBates

NP2k is 13'6" IIRC.

It's been a LONG 36+ hour duty "day" at this point, so if I'm wrong.. NATOPS nazis can stick it up their butt.

FastMover

NFO
None
182089_10150402025580174_71553655173_17424345_1728962_n.jpg

Intruder about to unleash some Snakeyes in El Centro.

Status
Not open for further replies.