• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It would be really cool if they could organize a flyby with all of the throwback paint schemes from the TRACOM. Next to impossible to get a 34 and 45 at the same speed I know (and illegal I think?), but maybe just park them all together at some airshow this summer. If I can think of it, I hope someone else already did, and the plans are being worked out.

I'm sure you can find a similar picture online, but in the academic building at South Field (where all the sims and classes are), there used to be a pic (it might still be up) of a Hornet and T-34 in form. The Hornet's nose is pointed at the moon and the T-34's nose is pointed at the ground, but they're in form, cruising along. I'm sure the T-34 was at 1015 the whole time, too....

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
T-45 could fly form with a T-34......it wouldn't be ideal, but it could be done. Speaking of which, there is a pic I have seen of a Phrog in formation with a Hornet....that one made me scratch my head

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I've done some form on an F-18C with an HH-60H back in 04.
I was pretty much max blast and he was about as slow as he felt safe...

Attachments

• EWEX 13JAN 013.jpg
    EWEX 13JAN 013.jpg
    632.6 KB · Views: 103
  • EWEX 13JAN 011.jpg
    EWEX 13JAN 011.jpg
    663.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 50 cal w hornet in back2.jpg
    50 cal w hornet in back2.jpg
    480.8 KB · Views: 128
  • 50 cal w hornet in back.jpg
    50 cal w hornet in back.jpg
    454.5 KB · Views: 105

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
I'm sure you can find a similar picture online, but in the academic building at South Field (where all the sims and classes are), there used to be a pic (it might still be up) of a Hornet and T-34 in form. The Hornet's nose is pointed at the moon and the T-34's nose is pointed at the ground, but they're in form, cruising along. I'm sure the T-34 was at 1015 the whole time, too....
Wasn't there something in NATOPS or something forbidding dissimilar formation flying? I can't remember reading it, but I heard somewhere that a 34 crashed with a Tomcat back in the day doing a gear inspection. Maybe a TW SOP difference?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Wasn't there something in NATOPS or something forbidding dissimilar formation flying? I can't remember reading it, but I heard somewhere that a 34 crashed with a Tomcat back in the day doing a gear inspection. Maybe a TW SOP difference?

Yes, it's a TRACOM rule. Not an issue (within reason, of course) in the fleet, though don't be surprised if it involves 3 pages of ORM.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I've personally seen a Goshawk fly wing off an F-5E as well as a Rhino for demo ACM flights, though there were IP's at the controls of the -45's

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

NATOPS only prohibits night forms. TRACOM says that it has to be the same type of aircraft. We aren't even supposed to get an airborn gear inspection from a T-6 in a T-34.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
NATOPS only prohibits night forms. TRACOM says that it has to be the same type of aircraft. We aren't even supposed to get an airborn gear inspection from a T-6 in a T-34.

You mean night forms with dissimmilar aircraft? Cause there is an entire stage of night forms in the jet VT's

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
There is no general prohibition against night formation flight, between similar aircraft or not. That's probably just in the T-34 NATOPS.

Dissimilar formation, night formation, and IMC formation are daily, run of the mill, simple parts of normal operations throughout the fleet.

Not a big deal.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
There is no general prohibition against night formation flight, between similar aircraft or not. That's probably just in the T-34 NATOPS.

Dissimilar formation, night formation, and IMC formation are daily, run of the mill, simple parts of normal operations throughout the fleet.

Not a big deal.

Yes sir, it's in the T-34 NATOPS. I should have specified.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor

IIRC, there was a mishap in the early 90's where a T-34 did a gear check on a Hornet and the pilot f'd it away and got sucked into the underside of the Hornet.

That may be the genesis of the whole T-34's being prohibited from dissimilar form.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

Never noticed wings under your name until now.....congrats!

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
Thanks Jac, happened a while ago, but I've been away from AW for a while and to clear things up, I was only referring to dissimilar form flying with the T-34 b/c of what helolumpy said. Now that it's cleared up, someone better get cracking on that heritage flyby this summer. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.