• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovebug201

standby, mark mark, pull
None
^^
No doubt A4's would say the same thing, but you have got to take a shot when the moment presents itself - All in good fun :D

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Old R.O. Picture of the Day for 6 Dec 2008

The F-4 was a warhorse no doubt about it, and I loved working around them. But my heart belongs to the "Tinker Toy.":D

Steve

VF126VF301A4F4.jpg

How's about both in one pic?
VF-126 A-4E, VF-301 F-4S

GroundPounder

This afternoon @ KAGS

Taken when I should have been working.

Attachments

• DSCF0243.JPG
    DSCF0243.JPG
    613.7 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCF0239.JPG
    DSCF0239.JPG
    655.1 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCF0253.JPG
    DSCF0253.JPG
    658.2 KB · Views: 77

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Old R.O. Picture of the Day for 7 December 2008

CubiPits.jpg

VF-21 F-4J and VA-145 KA-6D in the NAS Cubi Point hot fuel pits, summer 1974.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
HJ....was that shot during Ocean Safari??
That's an ELINT bird....Bear D...correct?? Not a missile shooter.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ocean Safari 85

HJ....was that shot during Ocean Safari??
That's an ELINT bird....Bear D...correct?? Not a missile shooter.

Yep. Ocean Safari '85 it was. Bear D was the targeting platform that had to be intercepted at NLT 200 nm and held at risk. They operated in pairs. Dedicatede ELINT was handled by other platforms. These guys came later in cells of three and were the shooters:

Badger.jpg

HJ Photo (also Ocean Safari 85)

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I remember reading Red Storm Rising and the chapter about the outer air battle 20 years ago ....and being utterly fascinated. I couldn't believe that the Tomcats were duped by the drones thinking they were the Badgers and Backfires.....and let the "Vampire" AS-4 and AS-6 get through. The Tomkittys redeem themselves later in the novel.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Were the Badgers significantly faster, in terms of an intercept, or was their cruise roughly the same? Definitely interesting snapshots of a different era.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Were the Badgers significantly faster, in terms of an intercept, or was their cruise roughly the same? Definitely interesting snapshots of a different era.

The Badger supposedly had 100 knots on the Bear, but they all were operating at max range speeds. Our wings never programmed aft so it wasn't any sweat in either case. The Bears were no slouches as they came in pretty high. You could hear the drone of their counter-rotating props over the sound of our ECS. Can't imagine what it was like to be inside that beast.

Another Bear caught during Ocean Safari (we were hit daily once USS America started operating inside Vestfjord and the Bear D couldn't "see" us with their radar. Lots of action for the fighters and tankers.

F-14_with_Bear.jpg

HJ Photo

Status
Not open for further replies.