• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Sorry Rage, but I had to post the pics of the centennial Goshawks. I'm probably biased but I think the Kingsville bird looks better.

36061_1565126840428_1003106020_1588840_5276213_n.jpg

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Sorry Rage, but I had to post the pics of the centennial Goshawks. I'm probably biased but I think the Kingsville bird looks better.

36061_1565126840428_1003106020_1588840_5276213_n.jpg

Have to agree with you there. Kinda looks like Meridian cheaped out and decided not to paint the nose

Pags

N/A
pilot
Just wondering. Guess I've spent too much time on AF bases lately where they have a bunch of those little shortened F-250's running around.

I was on an AFB and we asked if we could get a golf cart to help the Sailors take tools out to the bird. The next day the AF comes back and says, "sorry, we couldn't get you a golf cart. Will this F-250 do?"

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
When the sailors come here they always take my golf cart and I end up hoofing it to the plane. It really sucks when the plane is on the other side of the ramp. For the most part it gets used as a shuttle by everyone though. On a side note, the Air Force has 6 of their own golf carts/ gators to use. I guess they have deep pockets on that side of the fence.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Stolen from CDR Salamander, 60s era CV ops:
Wow. Pre A-7 days with Spads still in the airwing. That makes it early Vietnam era. Amazing to think of what has gone on in the 50 years since both in the Navy and in the world. The Enterprise fire, race riots and fires on Forrestal, the Hanoi Hilton, Linebacker raids, Eagle Claw, the Libyan business, the end of the Cold War, Tailhook '91, Desert Storm, Kosovo, GWOT, etc. etc. etc. Listening to the way they describe that "small Asian nation" as if it wasn't going to be a searing wound on the national psyche for the next generation.

It's amazing the stuff that still looks and sounds the same, or similar though. The dude standing up in front of everyone briefing still sounds the same even if the content is different. Crusty LDOs still sound the same. I think they still use the same USGI stencils to mark random boxes. A carrier is still a carrier, even if we do have ISIS instead of greaseboards now. :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Wow. Pre A-7 days with Spads still in the airwing. That makes it early Vietnam era. Amazing....
It was a great time to be in Naval Aviation, to be sure ...

'READY ON ARRIVAL': this film was a staple of TRACOM WX days when we had nothing better to do but sit around & wait for a sucker-hole to appear ... I think we saw it 200+ times :icon_wink. It represented our period 'MOTIVATION' film. When the A-6's would smother the target w/ ordnance in one clip, everyone would cheer (the film was produced by Grumman, just a coincidence, I'm sure) ... when the A-4's and SPADs would get 'close', everyone would taunt ... and when the ship's C-1 COD was at the ramp, everyone would hoot & holler & cat-call ...

One of my formation & weapons instructors is @ 6:36 (the carrot-top/freckle-face guy -- I can't remember his name) ... the A-4 @ 20:12, ship 302 belongs to 'Bud' Southworth, one of the stalwarts of the Skyhawk community ... the A-6 'ron, the "Sunday Punchers", a.k.a. VA-75 started off as an SDB 'ron in WW2 and was there w/ the A-6, first to last ... and the galley ... if I close my eyes and try 'real hard', I can 'smell' the warm fresh-baked bread when 4-5 of us would sit down in the dirty-shirt Mess after FLT OPS w/ a jar of peanut butter & a jar of jam and finish the whole thing -- GREAT!!. I can almost taste the JP in the H2O in my stateroom -- they said it put 'hair' on your chest.

I always was mystified and fascinated by the 'skills' demonstrated by guys who could write 'backwards' on the grease boards. I was always AMAZED at the S.A. of the HANDLER, the BOSS, their assistants, and the courage and professionalism of the people who worked the 'ROOF'.

Toward the end of the film ... you see a plane captain assisting a pilot who's 'giving the plane back'. Sometimes when you're dismounting at the end of a 'hard' hop & trap ... and you're physically and mentally spent ... the kindest thing ANYONE can do for you is to assist you in putting your flight boot into the next step on the ladder ...

W/ the exception of WW2 ... I'd argue that this was THE BEST time to be in Naval Aviation. In any case, I'm grateful that I was able to live my boyhood dreams and be a part of this & participate with some of the best gents I've ever met during those heady years ... we were 'good' ... we knew it ... and all was 'right' in the world. :)

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It was a great time to be in Naval Aviation, to be sure ...

'READY ON ARRIVAL': this film was a staple of TRACOM WX days when we had nothing better to do but sit around & wait for a sucker-hole to appear ... I think we saw it 200+ times :icon_wink. It represented our period 'MOTIVATION' film. .....

.......In any case, I'm grateful that I was able to live my boyhood dreams and be a part of this & participate with some of the best gents I've ever met during those heady years ... we were 'good' ... we knew it ... and all was 'right' in the world. :)

A4s said it all, accurately!
(And beat me to my comment.... somewhat rare for the slower and lumbering, lite-attack pukes... but did save me a longer post. :D :icon_smil )

That classic flic was our motivational entertainment while in training. Little did we know we would become real world leading actors in it, within a few years.

Brings back a lot of great memories, and a real sense of pride.

Status
Not open for further replies.