• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery, Troisième partie: la vengeance!

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Stopped by the New England Aviation Museum the other day and among some other cool stuff, they had a huge Kaman display including this clean and waxed SH-F
View attachment 35240
My very first ride in a Navy helo - SH-2F HSL-34 as a Mid - The AW ran a paper tape for sonobouy readings, The radar was the LN-66 commonly used on fishing vessels. Still the classic Navy cold war helo and a good portion of my winging class went H-2's.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Talked with a Docent at Air & Space who flew a Huskie in Viet Nam. He had some cool stories about working with airfield crash crews.
The HH-43 invented CSAR. Unlike Navy, the AF experience with the Husky caused them to realize the mission required dedicated specialized aircraft employed in a top down systemic operational structure that ultimately became incredibly effective. Navy HC/HS pursued a bottom up organic asset structure and depended on the ingenuity and courage of the crews/units.

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Also give this a read…

Tells a fantastic story about how “all around” a true HC squadron used to be. First image is a UH-2 with a chin turret. And don’t forget, a CH-46 rescued Cunningham and Driscoll!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The AW ran a paper tape for sonobouy readings,

@Hozer can correct me, but I believe the paper tape was for the MAD. This is where the term "pin banger" came from, as the AW would hold his finger over the printer arm when doing a MAD run, but could still focus on the display. If he felt the printer arm bang into his finger, it was a MAD hit (assuming they weren't in a turn). The Bravo would display this digitally, but the term would still be used by the more salty AWs. Romeo needs to bring that back.

That picture is interesting...there's ASE (fish eyes), but it's not installed. I'd be curious to if it was removed for the display or if there's some other explanation (like a FMS bird or it was a hulk before it was refurbished...but I doubt that given its condition).

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...it was a hulk before it was refurbished...but I doubt that given its condition.
My restoration team did pretty well with a hulk. Last duty was LA NG. Actually had sea shells hornets nest and sand in it. Corrosion everywhere. More than 75% of fasteners had to be drilled out. Don't underestimate a bunch of old retired military folks.
20161118_100008.jpg20170126_105829.jpg20181128_080115.jpg20181102_095637.jpg