• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery, Troisième partie: la vengeance!

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Took some pics of the outdoor museum at Peterson AFB:

What's the deal with the side mounted searchlight on the Canadian Hornet?

Can't tell you how many models I built of the F-86D - seconded only by models of the A-1 Skyraider:

This T-33 served until 1985 - I had no idea!!

What is it?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Can't tell you how many models I built of the F-86D

My civilian flight instructor (whom I've told some second hand stories about here in the past) flew, among other things, the F-86D. For a birthday gift at some point in HS, he gave me his -86D Dash 1 (or whatever the NATOPS was called). It would be fun to go back through it now (I still have it in my office....I think). I devoured that thing at the time, but my comprehension was probably only 15% of what was in it.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
If that is the horizontal stab with the 4 degree and 12 degree markings, it's probably the angle between min and max trim settings. We had something similar on the DC-10, B717 and B767. I can't remember if we have markings on the A330 because I never do a walk around, the FOs do them. I did one or two during my IOE 7 years ago and none since.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
That searchlight on the left side was (is) to help visually ID what were usually Russian bombers on night intercepts. They first put those on the Voodoos and kept doing it on the Hornets. I don't think they did it on earlier aircraft doing that mission (there don't seem to be any on old pictures of Clunks with the searchlight mod).

Last edited:

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Is this beaver-beater a “Clunk?” Since we are discussing Canada do I need to add this? Est-ce que ce batteur de castor est un clunk?
View attachment 30486[
That's the one. They have an obscure claim to fame for an aviation first: antiskid brakes. When your mission is being the first wave of defense (defence?) against the waves of communist bombers that would be flying over the pole to attack the free world and your bases often have snowy or icy runways then "all weather" takes on a new meaning.

Other than that, it's an early jet (obviously with that wing), two crew, two engines, a radar, and guns and rockets, comparable to the Lockheed F-94.

(Not really naval aviation related...)

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Blues at USNA this week.
the sneaky low, fast pass while most everyone is looking at the diamond loop overhead
50' on the radalt, according to #5 at McGarvey's that evening

View attachment 30892View attachment 30891
Several of my coworkers live along the Severn, this week was fun for conference calls with the Blues practicing and performing. First time I experienced the surprise, low, fast fly-by was in Newport, RI, plenty of "Holy ^$%#" followed by "That was awesome!"