• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery, Troisième partie: la vengeance!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I always thought it was odd that the F-16 evolved into a multi-mission, all-weather airplane- and a pretty expensive one while the F-20 went nowhere (and took years and years to get there). I understand all of the politics in the progression of both airplanes as well as the technical/business/sales side of them. The story kinda comes down to a case of sometimes it's funny how things turn out.

I think the F-16/79 is kind of an interesting footnote that is part of a bigger picture from that era. Weird concept that unsurprisingly went nowhere, like a four cylinder Ford Taurus of foreign military sales. The F-18L also comes to mind as an interesting footnote but for different reasons. Also the IAI Lavi and one or two others, all of them eclipsed by the straight F-16 (and the F-18 having a respectable second place showing). The SAAB 39 overlapped the same era and somehow it survived.

Wiki doesn't even mention the F-16/79 (the page for the J79 engine barely mentions it but only in passing).
As I recall, it was just the one plane. Personally, loved the F-20. Seemed like a no brainer with the F-5 proliferation around the world. But like you said, complicated.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
P
I always thought it was odd that the F-16 evolved into a multi-mission, all-weather airplane- and a pretty expensive one while the F-20 went nowhere (and took years and years to get there).

The F-20 was far more to the liking of the Fighter Mafia led by COL John Boyd who had pushed for the Lightweight Fighter competition but felt even the F-16 had suffered too much in performance due to adding more multi mission capability. The F-20 had plenty of promise and appeal, but potential buyers all wanted an aircraft that the US had in inventory and would sustain and upgrade thereby yielding benefits to the potential buyer(s) as well as providing the all important training component. If USAF had adopted the F-20, the buyers would be knocking at the door.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
Got this rare Viper in Yuma 1981.

Great pic. This pic was probably taken when SECNAV Lehman and his designated front-seater were taking this a/c on a publicity tour to many bases, trying to drum up interest and get backing for procurement. I was instructing in Kingsville when they came through there. COMTRAWINGTWO and base CO, both of them fighter-types, got rides in it, if my memory serves me right.

BenDog

VF-201 at NAS Dallas flight line. Circa 1975.

View attachment 26519

The picture posted is of the VF-201 flight line with the VF-202 flight line in the back. In the olden days of great reserve flexibility my father commanded both VF-701 and VF-703 at NAS Dallas. Both squadrons initially flew the North American FJ Fury (I’ll try to scan some pictures). 701, 703, and VMF-111 and 112 all got F-8’s in early 1964. My father retired from the reserves just before all the squadrons at Dallas we’re redesignated VF-124D1 just long enough to be de¬commissioned in 1970 and redesignated VF-201 and VF-202. By 1975 or 76 most of the jets in the picture were shipped off to the Philippines.

I believe both reserve squadrons eventually flew F-4’s and then F-14’s. Not sure if they made it to the world of VFA.
Yes. 201 did go VFA. I remember those F8's. We moved from Houston to Dallas in 75. If I behaved, mom would take me out to the base to watch the jets come and go. Did that into my early teens. Little did I know that in 1995, I would become a Hunter. Stayed till the decom.

Last edited by a moderator:

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
View attachment 26561
Gypsies heading back to CONUS from Rosey Det summer of 91

We should never have gotten rid of Rosey Roads. When I was in PR a few years ago doing CNT Ops, whenever the locals found out the Navy was in town, they asked the same question: "Is Roosevelt Roads coming back?" Shutting that base down tanked the local economy and I think many of the older generation are regretting that decision now.