• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery, Troisième partie: la vengeance!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
North Arabian Sea summer of 1984 during USS America IO deployment. 102 days at sea got us 2 Beer Days. Small compensation for continuous IMC weather due to Summer Monsoon. Sunset above 20K almost looked normal but it was crappy below....every day!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
An EA-18G Growler from the "Star Warriors" of VAQ-209 flies alongside an P-8 Poseidon from the "Screaming Eagles" of VP-1 during a maritime integration exercise in the Pacific. Both squadrons are stationed out of NAS Whidbey Island, WA but are forward deployed to Misawa, AB Japan in support of INDOPACOM forward presence and stability operations. #TeamWhidbey #FlyNavy Commander Naval Air Force Reserve

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
@HJ, would you run a prime lens in the back or would you run a variable? And if a Prime, what would you run? Or was it however the mood struck you, constantly nerding out on lenses like a NFO would do?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
@HJ, would you run a prime lens in the back or would you run a variable? And if a Prime, what would you run? Or was it however the mood struck you, constantly nerding out on lenses like a NFO would do?

if I understand the question, I always had 2 cameras; one with slide film and one with print film. My go-to lens was a TAMRON 28-135mm that allowed me to shoot close up wingmen or reach out a bit further. For most of my airborne shooting “career”, that was my preferred lens. This was well before autofocus and IS lenses. I always added an autowinder to my camera bodies but disdained autofocus because it could waster time when I my hand/eye was faster. 26464
To answer your question further, most of my captures were spur of the moment. I always had cameras prepped and ready to go in top of a padded Lowepro bag for protection. If I saw an opportunity like this one, it was a simple pull and shoot process. Sometimes, the ideal shot needed a bit of repositioning so I’d ask for a little elevation or left wing down with top rudder, etc. pretty much what is going on here.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Gotcha. I figured you'd typically run a variable lens for flexibility, and that size seems like it would be perfect.

jmcquate

Contributor
Are ready room fines applicable to actually saying the name of the movie, or simply alluding to it?