• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery...part DEUX

Status
Not open for further replies.

exNavyOffRec

Apparently it was the Connie during Fleet Week 2000: Launch1 @ 0:53 & Launch 2 @ 1:35

In the early 90's the USS Nimitz suffered an main engine issue and had to return to PSNS vice going to do carrier quals, she had been at fleet week in Seattle and had a small compliment of aircraft, launched them all in front of downtown Seattle.

also.... the ME issue was fixed within a few hours of returning to PSNS, but CQ was still cancelled.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^^ This! Worked for me and my pilot…13 September, 1978.
True that, but without that option........
For my own PRODEV, how does one avoid becoming encapsulated upside down underwater?
*For tactical jets (varies for different A/C types)

Know two things by heart & blindfolded:
1. Your total harness quick disconnect procedure (from seat and/or chute).

2. Know your canopy system emergency operation - open/jettison procedure (clamshell, sliding, or other).

These are the two major items that could trap, or as you put it, 'encapsulate' you in the cockpit. Keep in mind also, with a clamshell (if they still exist?)... the deeper you sink, the greater the water pressure, the harder to open/jettison. Blow it quickly.

On being inverted underwater, that's where the"Dilbert Dunker" simulated the escape. I've heard that's been discontinued, true?

*Modern canopy systems may be different... if so, please ignore this post.:rolleyes:
BzB

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If it's still being done, it isn't at API. We only had to do the helo dunker.
You also had the Shallow Water Egress Trainer (SWET)....that's inverted in the water. My sinuses hated that one.
9h21.jpg

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
You also had the Shallow Water Egress Trainer (SWET)....that's inverted in the water. My sinuses hated that one.
9h21.jpg
This is true. They claimed it was supposed to be set up for a "crawl, walk, run" kind of training environment, but really, once you were upside down underwater, it was more like your dad throwing you into the lake to teach you how to swim. I had to do something resembling this to clear my sinuses:

Homer J

I'm with NAVAIR. I'm here to help you.
F7U-3.jpg

F7U-3 Cutlass aircraft of Fighter Squadron (VF) 81 pictured in flight near Naval Air Station (NAS) Norfolk, Virginia, on December 10, 1954, fifty-nine years ago yesterday.

Homer J

stol.jpg

F-35 Integrated Test Facility pilot Dan Levin performs a short takeoff in F-35B Lightning II test aircraft BF-1 with external stores Dec. 5 at Patuxent River, Md.

Homer J

F3F-1.jpg

View of an F3F-1 of Fighting Squadron (VF) 4 in flight on December 12, 1938, seventy-five years ago today, the "4-F-1" on the side indicating that it is the aircraft assigned to the commanding officer of the squadron, Lieutenant Commander Wendell G. Switzer.

Homer J

F4U-4 Wright Bros.jpg

A formation of F4U-4 Corsairs of Marine Fighter Squadron (VMF) 212 from Marine Corps Air Station (MCAS) Cherry Point, North Carolina, fly over the Wright Brothers Memorial at Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina, on December 17, 1948, the occasion of the 45th anniversary of man's first powered flight.

Status
Not open for further replies.