• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery...part DEUX

Status
Not open for further replies.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
How did Kate get her callsign?:D
Evidently, in the old west, they were as hot for 'callsigns'/nicknames as we are in Naval Aviation. Looks like Kate Elder (John Wayne's momma?), picked up hers from the size of her bulging proboscis (she was not particularly foxy). Pictured on their wedding day, Big Nose Kate & "Doc" Holliday. Her life story is fascinating, hung out with the Earps. She died in 1940 at age 90, in Prescott, AZ.
BigNoseKateDocHolliday.jpg
BzB

Last edited:

BleedGreen

pilot
Did anyone else make it out to the speedfest on NAS North Island? I only had a few minutes to check out the aircraft just outside the main event.
20130921_111251_zps24dd3870.jpg

The Providers...
20130921_111514_zpsd228a399.jpg

20130921_111324_zpsf3086f01.jpg

20130921_110506_zps414f6901.jpg

I've seen this artist's work on AW before, very cool to see it in person.

This was not part of speedfest, however, still a flawless machine...
20130723_090246_zps709b884e.jpg

20130723_090424_zps557b8e9d.jpg

20130723_090300_zpsd72a4438.jpg

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Where is VA city, NV? Might have to stop and check that place out while I'm out here....
if you are familiar with western Nevada (been to Fallon?), About halfway 'tween Reno & Carson City and a bit off to the east. Check the map on Google.
VA CITY NV.jpg
BzB

Last edited:

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Awesome authentic scrapbook photos of a truly heroic ship USS FRANKLIN (CV-13) & CAG-13. Sure hope the photos have been scanned for anti-deterioration purposes. They are a meaningful part of Naval Aviation history.

As most are aware, FRANKLIN was seriously damaged at Okinawa on 19 March 1945, about 5 months after CAG-13 sunk the Japanese carrier cited in your post. Hit by multiple kamikazes, she was severely crippled, with the loss of 700+ crew & many more injured. She recovered enough to steam at a max of 14 kts to Ulithi Atoll, thence to Pearl Harbor (both for temporary repairs). Leaving Pearl, she headed for New York city via a Panama Canal passage. She steamed proudly (with open battle scars), into New York harbor on 29 April 1945, enroute to Brooklyn Navy Yard for extensive final repairs.

I remember that arrival vividly. I was 10 1/2 years old on that day. I wasn't there, but we lived in CT just 50 miles up the coast from NYC, and my Dad was a Sailor on a merchant ship home-ported in Brooklyn, so I took great notice in the Navy exploits during the war.

New York accorded "Big Ben" FRANKLIN a rousing, well deserved heroes welcome, which essentially lasted throughout the extensive overhaul/repair. Photos of her triumphant entry into New York Harbor flooded newspapers nationally, as she was adopted by NYC, as their 'Hero' ship, survivor of a tremendous battle, with great casualties and damage, then limping back home under her own power. I would imagine few Big Ben Sailors ever had to buy their own drinks while the ship was "in town"!

USS FRANKLIN burning at Okinawa
USS_Franklin_(CV-13)_burning_aerial_view.jpg

"Big Ben's arrival in New York Harbor
USS_Franklin_(CV-13)_approaching_New_York,_April_1945.jpg
BzB

Pags

N/A
pilot
Awesome authentic scrapbook photos of a truly heroic ship USS FRANKLIN (CV-13) & CAG-13. Sure hope the photos have been scanned for anti-deterioration purposes. They are a meaningful part of Naval Aviation history.

As most are aware, FRANKLIN was seriously damaged at Okinawa on 19 March 1945, about 5 months after CAG-13 sunk the Japanese carrier cited in your post. Hit by multiple kamikazes, she was severely crippled, with the loss of 700+ crew & many more injured. She recovered enough to steam at a max of 14 kts to Ulithi Atoll, thence to Pearl Harbor (both for temporary repairs). Leaving Pearl, she headed for New York city via a Panama Canal passage. She steamed proudly (with open battle scars), into New York harbor on 29 April 1945, enroute to Brooklyn Navy Yard for extensive final repairs.

I remember that arrival vividly. I was 10 1/2 years old on that day. I wasn't there, but we lived in CT just 50 miles up the coast from NYC, and my Dad was a Sailor on a merchant ship home-ported in Brooklyn, so I took great notice in the Navy exploits during the war.

New York accorded "Big Ben" FRANKLIN a rousing, well deserved heroes welcome, which essentially lasted throughout the extensive overhaul/repair. Photos of her triumphant entry into New York Harbor flooded newspapers nationally, as she was adopted by NYC, as their 'Hero' ship, survivor of a tremendous battle, with great casualties and damage, then limping back home under her own power. I would imagine few Big Ben Sailors ever had to buy their own drinks while the ship was "in town"!

USS FRANKLIN burning at Okinawa
View attachment 12930

"Big Ben's arrival in New York Harbor
View attachment 12931
BzB
Not to pick nits, but Franklin was hit by two bombs dropped from a Japanese aircraft (val? Judy? Grace? The aircraft remains un-IDed) while operating off of the coast of Japan. Franklin had maneuverd to within 80mi of Honshu to launch strikes, closer than any other carrier had come when she was hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.