• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery...part DEUX

Status
Not open for further replies.

faircon1

View attachment 10575

Has anybody had this happen? I took this photo a couple years back, after we got fourteen inches of snow in one day.
View attachment 10575

Has anybody had this happen? I took this photo a couple years back, after we got fourteen inches of snow in one day.
YEP.......April of 1969, if I remember right. Atsugi, Japan VQ-1 flight line, a EC-121 sat on its tail after an early spring snow storm.
Bad timing....one of our birds was shot down by North Korea that same month.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, note the snow atop the nose intake on our Squadron FJ-4 Fury. VA-94 at NAAS Fallon - Dec. '58...brrr!.
View attachment 12900
BzB
BTW, the young JG w/ white cap cover is the noted ex-POW, CAPT Dick "Beak" Stratton, exactly 7 years prior to his downing. Some of you may have met, or heard him speak at various Tailhooks.
BzB

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Who was the A-4 POW bubba' that spoke at Fallen? We happened to meet him at the Bucket of Blood saloon in Virginia City~ when he found out we were Navy rotor-heads, we could not pay for a drink that night (he let the entire bar know we were AD, and everyone, including he, paid for the entire night of debauchery...). Great, humble, and friendly guy.
Yes, who was he... being an A-4 POW, I probably know him, remember a name? Any chance it was my "Blue Diamond" squadronmate CAPT Mike "Masher" McGrath? (below)
CAPT Mike 'Masher' McGrath.jpg
Visited the Bucket O' Blood Saloon a number of times during my active days (on Fallon Dets), and after retirement when attending Reno Tailhooks. One of my favorite saloons of all time. Good beer, great old-time western saloon-type piano music, authentic photos (sometimes gruesome, hangings, bullet-riddled bodies, etc.), from the silver bonanza days in the late 19th century, adorn the walls. A must see for all, especially TV's 'Bonanza' fans!
Bucket-2.jpg Bucket-3.jpg Bucket-4.jpg
BzB

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
While on the subject... my 2nd favorite old-time historic western saloon "Big Nose Kates" Saloon & Hotel in the old-time mining community in Tombstone, AZ, right near the OK Corral. Atmosphere much like the NV Bucket above. It's said that McLaurie, & Ike Clanton spent the night before the OK Corral shoot-out, at Big Nose Kate's establishment. The recreated original Boot Hill Cemetary is quite interesting, also!
Big Nose Kates.jpg Big Nose Kates-2.png
Big Nose Kate in 1876
BzB

exNavyOffRec

While on the subject... my 2nd favorite old-time historic western saloon "Big Nose Kates" Saloon & Hotel in the old-time mining community in Tombstone, AZ, right near the OK Corral. Atmosphere much like the NV Bucket above. It's said that McLaurie, & Ike Clanton spent the night before the OK Corral shoot-out, at Big Nose Kate's establishment. The recreated original Boot Hill Cemetary is quite interesting, also!
View attachment 12907 View attachment 12908
Big Nose Kate in 1876
BzB

I have been there, of course it was just to take a peek inside.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, who was he... being an A-4 POW, I probably know him, remember a name? Any chance it was my "Blue Diamond" squadronmate CAPT Mike "Masher" McGrath? (below)
View attachment 12901
Visited the Bucket O' Blood Saloon a number of times during my active days (on Fallon Dets), and after retirement when attending Reno Tailhooks. One of my favorite saloons of all time. Good beer, great old-time western saloon-type piano music, authentic photos (sometimes gruesome, hangings, bullet-riddled bodies, etc.), from the silver bonanza days in the late 19th century, adorn the walls. A must see for all, especially TV's 'Bonanza' fans!
View attachment 12903 View attachment 12905 View attachment 12906
BzB
Ah, the Bucket of Blood! A great bar! It was also the venue where a lot of great San Francisco '60s bands gained experience to launch a later international following.

But the bar was a late-comer. The one 5 miles down the road was where my great grandfather tipped a few in 1861 - the Gold Hill Saloon. He had come from Ireland, spent a short time in Iowa, then spent 7 years mining in California and Nevada with his brother. They hit it big in Gold Hill, went back to Iowa, and bought a lot of farmland, one of which I grew up upon.

Fallonflyr

pilot
View attachment 12907 View attachment 12908
Big Nose Kate in 1876
BzB
How did Kate get her callsign?:D

Status
Not open for further replies.