• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery...part DEUX

Status
Not open for further replies.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
A more recent Tomcat picture:

irancat.jpg

A real shame such a beautiful machine is now just another target...

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Why is he taxiing w/ the probe out? SOP in the IAF?

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
Why is he taxiing w/ the probe out?

We once taxied in with our probes out at Cecil Field after the fly-off ending a 9+ month cruise to indicate to our waiting wives/girlfriends that our "probes" were erect and anxious for a workout that night.

Homer J

I'm with NAVAIR. I'm here to help you.
Why is he taxiing w/ the probe out? SOP in the IAF?

From what I have found, they initially removed the probe doors because they were concerned it would snag on the drogue. Did a quick Google image search and it looks now like they just leave the probe extended all the time.

Could be they don't have the spare parts to keep the retract mechs operational.

Flugelman

Contributor
We once taxied in with our probes out at Cecil Field after the fly-off ending a 9+ month cruise to indicate to our waiting wives/girlfriends that our "probes" were erect and anxious for a workout that night.

Does this mean A4s were always "sportin' wood"?? Perhaps BZB knows... :cool::rolleyes:

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does this mean A4s were always "sportin' wood"?? Perhaps BZB knows... :cool::rolleyes:
It simply means that Scooter designer Heinemann decided against a retractable refueling probe, 'cause he knew A-4 drivers would be horny studs!:p
KC-135 & T-A4J.jpg
VA -KC-10A_refueling_A-4M_1982.jpg
*The A-4s look like gnats 'porkin' elephants!
BzB

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What kind of plane is refueling the Scooter in the top pic?
I have never seen a 4 engined Navy tanker before. My first guess was a KC-135 but the nose looks different and the fuselage looks to thick to be one. Anybody know?
The top photo title lists it as a KC-135. Perhaps the USN version is called UC-880? I've never heard of a Navy KC-135, but I've been out for a looong time. I've plugged KA-4s, KA-6s, KC-97s, KC-130s, KC-135s (USMC & USAF), but never a USN KC-135.:confused:
BzB

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
From what I have found, they initially removed the probe doors because they were concerned it would snag on the drogue. Did a quick Google image search and it looks now like they just leave the probe extended all the time.

Could be they don't have the spare parts to keep the retract mechs operational.
For the ferry flights from the Grumman factory to Iran, the IFR probe doors were removed prior, because of the 'iron maiden' stiff hoses of the KC-135s were very mean and damaged some F-14s on the ferry. Since we tanked 14 times - 7 times on each leg - the risk of probe door damage was great. Even without a probe door, one of our three F-14s got banged up pretty good by the whipping iron maiden drogue. Nevertheless we did retract and extend the probe each time we tanked.

Why the IAF apparently leaves them extended, I have no idea.

kc135.jpg

Attachments

• kc135.jpg
    kc135.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 12

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The top photo title lists it as a KC-135. Perhaps the USN version is called UC-880? I've never heard of a Navy KC-135, but I've been out for a looong time. I've plugged KA-4s, KA-6s, KC-97s, KC-130s, KC-135s (USMC & USAF), but never a USN KC-135.:confused:
BzB
How about a KF-4?
Our OPs O once gave a brief on shipboard TV about the many capabilities of the F-4... including tanking. But the Boat's Captain (a former attack driver) raised the BS flag!

Later our OPs O brought the Captain a copy of our F-4 NATOPS containing the section on how the F-4 was equipped and capable of carrying a refueling Buddy Store.... not that they ever did. The F-4 would run out of their own gas before they could give any.

buddy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.