• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery...part DEUX

Status
Not open for further replies.

brownshoe

Contributor
Right Cat, remember in "The Bridges at Toko Ri" , CAG-19 "bypassing" his CV CO, doing his tapdance with with the Admiral, in regard to the ship using his Spads to Pinwheel while berthing at Yokosuka.:(

BTW, using pinwheel to aid tugs while berthing at Yoko in heavy winds, while rare, was actually done several times by RANGER on our '60 WestPac. Only jets (F-8s/F-3Hs & A-4s) were used, as they were not prone to damage like the recips. Actually it was kinda' fun, & even some of our senior E maintainers & a few sharp P/Cs got to participate, in the cockpit!:D
BzB

I never did this. But I grinned from ear to ear at ‘high power’. No I wasn’t supposed to be there… but I had friends….;)

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pulling into Yokosuka on my nugget cruise, we had to 'all' turn to at zero-dark-thirty, to do said pinwheel.

Of course we knew from the movie what a pinwheel was. But we were surprised to find that only we naïve JOs were the only ones up and awake... while the SDO was laughing his arse off. Yes, we had been Ric-rolled.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
midway-1019b.jpg

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What is this pinwheel you speak off?
When heavy winds prevailing/predicted when entering port for pierside approach (Yoko is the only port I've heard of/seen it employed). When authorized (in our CAG), Jets were spotted topside in a line side by side, 90 deg. perpendicular to the axial, 12 pt. chain tiedown, tailpipes pointed outboard. one Squadron each on port & starboard bow & one Sqdn each on port & stbd stern. With cockpits manned, when tug assist desired, all engines started & at remain at idle. Control of thrust by GROUP is by bridge radio by Harbor Pilot/CO/OOD radio, backed up by AirBoss bullhorn & a yellow shirt giving full power or idle using flag signals & pointing to the 4 groups as required. During the evolution. Only two power settings were used, by group, as directed.... 100% or Idle.

It's amazing how a line of 8-10 tied down A-4s (~100K thrust) on one flight deck corner, can help tugs overcome 90,000 tons of mass w/ a huge 'sail' area, keep wind drift under control in unusually high wind conditions. It's hard to explain clearly, without a chart of a typical pinwheel deckspot. In our case in '6o, Scooters, 'Saders & Demons were used. Pinwheel at that time was at CVA CO discretion.

CVA COs of the early '60, were battle-hardened WWII Pacific combat carrier jock heroes, 'devil may care' types, who would take a chance to enter a wind-blown port so the crew could hit the beach, rather than anchor out until all calm for berthing shiphandling. Our CO was CAPT Noel Gaylor, a NC decorated VF Pilot throughout the late Pacific island-hopping campaign. He retired as ADM (CincPac), and was the Admiral who shook the hand & saluted each ex-POW as they deplaned on the trip from Hanoi. I doubt that any CO would risk pinwheel in our Navy today. Sorry for the length, hope it's somewhat clear.
ADM GAYLER-.jpg
*ADM Noel Gayler
BzB

KBayDog

Pulling into Yokosuka on my nugget cruise, we had to 'all' turn to at zero-dark-thirty, to do said pinwheel.

Of course we knew from the movie what a pinwheel was. But we were surprised to find that only we naïve JOs were the only ones up and awake... while the SDO was laughing his arse off. Yes, we had been Ric-rolled.

It's sad, but that's the kind of stuff that gets COs fired these days...

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I never did this. But I grinned from ear to ear at ‘high power’. No I wasn’t supposed to be there… but I had friends….;)
Shoe, Sure glad you didn't succumb to temptation and take off on a flight, like the famous Marine L/Cpl Foote. Stole an A-4M & took off from Miramar on a (night) o.8 flight, then landed safely. It wa 4th of July '86, I guess security was a bit lax due to holiday?:eek:
BzB

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Shoe, Sure glad you didn't succumb to temptation and take off on a flight, like the famous Marine L/Cpl Foote. Stole an A-4M & took off from Miramar on a (night) o.8 flight, then landed safely. It wa 4th of July '86, I guess security was a bit lax due to holiday?:eek:
BzB
Oh, how much security has changed! I remember when we used to talk/fantasize about stealing a Miramar aircraft, preferably Brand X’s. It would have been so easy. Truly.

I also remember when anyone could get through the main gate and just walk into our hangar freely. Like when two Playboy Club Bunnies who were both dating my roommate surprised him by showing up in hangar #1 unannounced. It/they stopped all maintenance! (One’s fishnet top without a bra may have had something to do with it.)

Later, security increased, especially after the Beirut bombings. Then, while in civilian clothes and after hours, I had to show my Reservist ID to the E-2 non-swimmer who as a sentry, guarded the fllght-line. But he waved us through.

As I showed my civilian friend, his wife and their multiple kids TOPGUN’S hangar and aircraft, up close and personal, TOPGUN’s CO (working way late) strolled up to me and asked, WHO THE HELL ARE YOU AND WTF ARE YOU DOING!!!!!????

As we checked lineal numbers, we then both calmly agreed I should have been in uniform instead of stylish beach attire. :cool:

jmcquate

Contributor
Oh, how much security has changed! I remember when we used to talk/fantasize about stealing a Miramar aircraft, preferably Brand X’s. It would have been so easy. Truly.

I also remember when anyone could get through the main gate and just walk into our hangar freely. Like when two Playboy Club Bunnies who were both dating my roommate surprised him by showing up in hangar #1 unannounced. It/they stopped all maintenance! (One’s fishnet top without a bra may have had something to do with it.)

Later, security increased, especially after the Beirut bombings. Then, while in civilian clothes and after hours, I had to show my Reservist ID to the E-2 non-swimmer who as a sentry, guarded the fllght-line. But he waved us through.

As I showed my civilian friend, his wife and their multiple kids TOPGUN’S hangar and aircraft, up close and personal, TOPGUN’s CO (working way late) strolled up to me and asked, WHO THE HELL ARE YOU AND WTF ARE YOU DOING!!!!!????

As we checked lineal numbers, we then both calmly agreed I should have been in uniform instead of stylish beach attire. :cool:
Your roomate was a RockStar!!!!!!

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
reflections.jpg

Reflections
A U.S. Air Force C-17 Globemaster III cargo aircraft sits on the runway at Pago Pago International Airport in American Samoa, Dec. 16, 2012. The 446th Airlift Wing aircrew from Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash. traveled to Royal Australian Air Force Base Richmond, Australia in support of a joint operation. Tropical Cyclone Evan passed over American Samoa Dec. 12 -16 causing 6,000 people to take shelter in evacuation centers and $4.1 million in damages to infrastructure. The puddle in the foreground is a result of the rains from that storm system. (U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Jon Polka)

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Finalflight.jpg

Final flight
The last flight mission in Afghanistan for the 25th Combat Aviation Brigade comes to a close as 25th CAB Commander Colonel Frank Tate and Brigade Chief Warrant Officer CW5 Joseph Roland land their UH-60 Black Hawk on Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan, January 6, 2013. 3rd Combat Aviation Brigade Commander Col. Allan Pepin flew with Col. Tate while piloting his OH-58 Kiowa Warrior during this final mission for the 25th CAB. For the last few miles of the mission the 25th CAB Flag was flown in the door of the Black Hawk.

Status
Not open for further replies.