• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery...part DEUX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flugelman

Contributor
Yeah nice pix 2ndGen, looks like A-4Fs from VAs 23, 192 & 195 on Ye Olde TICO (CVA-14).

Always loved the beautiful 'Viggie", except when I was spotted next in line behind a Vig' in full burner prior to launch. Could not use the JBDs with a Vig'. It was one minute of HELL on earth, even with canopy down/locked!:eek:

Nice eye candy for us'n Vietnam dinosaurs!;)
View attachment 11734
BzB

I'll second that BZB. I'm still trying to figure out where the pier side photos were taken. Alameda perhaps? :rolleyes:

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll second that BZB. I'm still trying to figure out where the pier side photos were taken. Alameda perhaps? :rolleyes:
From the mix of Air Wings, i.e. CVW-2 (NE); and CVW-11 (NH)... plus the plush green hills in the background, I'm thinkin' pierside apron at San Miguelsville, NAS Cubi Pt. P.I. (brings tears to me tired ol' eyes )!:(:D
NASCubi.jpg
BzB

Flugelman

Contributor
From the mix of Air Wings, i.e. CVW-2 (NE); and CVW-11 (NH)... plus the plush green hills in the background, I'm thinkin' pierside apron at San Miguelsville, NAS Cubi Pt. P.I. (brings tears to me tired ol' eyes )!:(:D
View attachment 11735
BzB

Yep, now that I look back at them, that makes sense. In my defense, I was only over on the bay side of Cubi once, when we were invited for lunch on the Enterprise by some Chiefs we met at the club. I made the JO at the brow promise not to untie any ropes while I was aboard.;)

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I was at Subic Bay International, formally known as Cubi Point NAS, in 2009. Saying it was in rough shape would be greatly understating the material condition of the base.

FedEx as based out of there, but they were going to pull out to start basing in mainland China. Otherwise, there was pretty much zero traffic into or out of that airport.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was at Subic Bay International, formally known as Cubi Point NAS, in 2009. Saying it was in rough shape would be greatly understating the material condition of the base.
Yeah pretty much standard results... when we, or any other 'first world' nation, build/operate expensvive infrastructure in poorer countries, then eventually leave, turning the operation/maintenance over to the host country. The infrastructure goes rapidly downhill, due a lack of funds for, and interest in proper periodic maintenance/upkeep of the systems. A prime example would be the top notch railway system the Brit's built and ran in India. Upon the indepence of the country, the rail system was completely taken over by India & slowly devolved into a badly funded, horribly maintained & overcrowded system.

Cubi was to have been turned into a int'l airport, cargo & passenger center & touriat destination starting in mid-'90s. It thrived for a few years, then started to go slowly to pot as the original businesses bailed for 'greener pastures', i.e. China, Singapore, H.K. etc. A shame, as the construction of the original base/airfield by our fighting Seabees just after WWII, was a marvel of engineering, earth-moving & construction said to exceed in scope... the Panama Canal!:eek:
BzB

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Yeah pretty much standard results... when we, or any other 'first world' nation, build/operate expensvive infrastructure in poorer countries, then eventually leave, turning the operation/maintenance over to the host country. The infrastructure goes rapidly downhill, due a lack of funds for, and interest in proper periodic maintenance/upkeep of the systems. A prime example would be Afghanistan.
You're a wise man...

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
121125-M-ZZ999-002.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.