• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery...part DEUX

Status
Not open for further replies.

A7Dave

pilot
Fallon or El Centro :cool:
z.jpg
GD reservists getting all the good flying...

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Phantoms Habu and Tomcats, oh my! pic taken over China Lake prior to airshow, date ???
any info on this BzB?
sy7qjhxvtaiokbxtdtlg.jpg
None other than what Nguyen (my favorite NVN 85mm AAA gunner) told me on the radio one day..... "BusyBee, you Yankee Air Pirate, we love it when you come with the Pfantums, then we see the smoke trails coming at 30km out, SILLY YANKEES!':p

The old cigarette pack disclaimer applied to (in our CVW-14), A-4Es & F-4Js:(

>SMOKING MAY BE HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH!!!<:eek:
Air Pirate.jpg
BzB

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Ha! Another cool pic posted by Malo83! :cool:

Probably an ignorant question on my part...but why is it that one of the F-4's (second in from the left) is not leaving a smoke trail? :confused:

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
MaxSonic almost certainly knows more about it than I do.
Max (BzB Jr.), may have 'some' info on the J-79??? But came into the Navy about the time the Hornet was being entered into the fleet. His expertise as a Navy AEDO/NavAir Aero Engineer , is in the F/A-18 & F-404 P/Ps. Max was only 4 y/o when I returned from my last combat tour and Phantoms were still "king of the Fighters"!;)

Of interest, in 2008?, Max spent his secomd tour in Iraq with the Marines at Al Asad Airbase west of Baghdad, which the Iraqis abandoned, and is now defended by ~300 Marines surrounded by thousands of ISIS savages.:eek: Sure glad Max is home & safely retired USNR!:)

Sure hope we get off our ass soon and cover/support, or extract our surrounded Marines before we have another "Little BigHorn"!:mad:
BzB

Duc'-guy25

pilot
Cool pic, but your date might be a bit off as those look like F4U-4 or -5s (four bladed prop, deeper cowl).
It looked like a -1D or a -4 to me (I'll defer to your expert opinion though) ...Now looking into it, this might have been post-war in 46 when VMF-212 changed their tail code to LD and jumped to the -4. My bad. Unfortunately, I don't have much information on his service between WWII and Korea. All I know was at some point he was in the Pacific Theatre towards the end of the war, and at some point he was flying the HRS in Korea...I think. All my information is interpreted from the few old photo's I have.

Pags

N/A
pilot
It looked like a -1D or a -4 to me (I'll defer to your expert opinion though) ...Now looking into it, this might have been post-war in 46 when VMF-212 changed their tail code to LD and jumped to the -4. My bad. Unfortunately, I don't have much information on his service between WWII and Korea. All I know was at some point he was in the Pacific Theatre towards the end of the war, and at some point he was flying the HRS in Korea...I think. All my information is interpreted from the few old photo's I have.
I'm by no means an expert and not trying to be an internet jerk, just trying to provide some info. The -1D had a three bladed prop and the -4 had a four bladed prop. The -4 started coming online later than 43...wikipedia says 44. I'm not enough of a markings expert to know dates of different marking styles; but I think you're right with the change to a 2 digit modex (tail code) happened after the war.

Either way, cool pic and family history.

Status
Not open for further replies.