• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery...part DEUX

Status
Not open for further replies.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
BzB... is that you? I heard those things are deafeningly loud. Maybe we can all pony up and buy the one on E-Bay.
Spanky. no I was strictly an AirPac, WestPac Sailor. That is an A-4F from VA-45, based out of NAS Cecil Field, FL. No other info w/ the photo.:)
A4 Bear Intercept VA-45.jpg
EDIT: Update - Photo of AU 661 of VA-45 Det. 1, aboard USS INTREPID (CVS-11), intercept off the coast of Denmark - 1972.
BzB

Pags

N/A
pilot
Spanky. no I was strictly an AirPac, WestPac Sailor. That is an A-4F from VA-45, based out of NAS Cecil Field, FL. No other info w/ the photo.:)
View attachment 13480
EDIT: Update - Photo of AU 661 of VA-45 Det. 1, aboard USS INTREPID (CVS-11), intercept off the coast of Denmark - 1972.
BzB
Didn't the A-4s have a secondary "fighter" mission as part of the CVS air group?

Here's an old school A-4 pic:

A-4E_VA-44_nuclear_cockpit_shield_NAN8-73.jpg

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Didn't the A-4s have a secondary "fighter" mission as part of the CVS air group?
Yes, the original ASW Fighter Squadron VSF-1, was formed in 1966 at NAS Alameda, to provide detachments for protection of ASW CVSs, and their Airwings. Equipped with A-4B/C/E aircraft armed with 2-MK-12 20mm cannons & Sidewinder missile systems. As the air war heated up in late '66, the rapidly expanding VSF-1 was split, and the new half became VSF-3. This lasted for four years, and both squadrons were disestablished in 1970.:)
VSF-1 Warhawks-2.jpg
VSF-1 Warhawks.png
Hmm... looks vaguely familiar, huh Hugh? ;)
Looks suspiciously like "Baker Boy 456" of VA-44, but can't see if it has AD on the tail???:confused:
BzB

brownshoe

Contributor
Nuke shield?
Yes, the original ASW Fighter Squadron VSF-1, was formed in 1966 at NAS Alameda, to provide detachments for protection of ASW CVSs, and their Airwings. Equipped with A-4B/C/E aircraft armed with 2-MK-12 20mm cannons & Sidewinder missile systems. As the air war heated up in late '66, the rapidly expanding VSF-1 was split, and the new half became VSF-3. This lasted for four years, and both squadrons were disestablished in 1970.:)
View attachment 13482
View attachment 13484

Looks suspiciously like "Baker Boy 456" of VA-44, but can't see if it has AD on the tail???:confused:
BzB
Yup.... and this photo was taken on the hangar 67 flight line, Cecil Field, VA-44. (Happy Hour Lounge for a drink anyone?:))

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Aviation nerd question: Is the guy standing up "in tension" in a gunner's belt while standing there? It just seems like the only way he would be able to "look" that comfortable.

Photo nerd question: What kind of lens is that? It looks like your house/wife is still a bit far away, but the mag/zoom/photo-term is still pretty damn good.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Person question... how can you tell how far someone is when using a zoom lens?

Because in several pictures, it looks like she's taking the photo right under the helo (due to the great lens). In the second to last, you can get a little more perspective with the palm tree and it looks like she's zoomed out a bit. I'm asking because because she took some great shots and I'm not sure my 200mm (I think that's what I have...it's at my parents at the moment) would have been that close. And it's crazy clear, too. One of these days I'll have to "upgrade" my D80, so I'm trying to gather data points on lens and the inevitable Canon vs Nikon debate.

Yes gunners belt.. otherwise possible death... cliff is about 200' AWL.

I figured, it's just a nice shot. He looks so casual. I didn't doubt he was in a belt, but was curious if he was also in tension as it makes it even easier.

jmcquate

Contributor
I'm assuming that's the USS Pennsylvania after the war (and refit)......and Penn State was going to, or had won the Orange Bowl?

Renegade One

None
Why is this ship orange (nittany, you have to wait at least a day to answer)?
USS NEVADA, painted in high-vis red-orange for the "Test ABLE" atomic weapons drops at Bikini Atoll. Test ABLE was conducted at 9:00 on July 1, 1946. Weapon Gilda was dropped from the B-29 Superfortress Dave's Dream of the 509th Bombardment Group. Gilda detonated 520 feet above the target fleet, with a yield of 23 kilotons.

The battleship USS NEVADA had been designated as the aim point for ABLE and was painted red, with white gun barrels and gunwales, to make her stand out in the central cluster of target ships.

Status
Not open for further replies.