• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery...part DEUX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's some wild shit. I had no idea. Who knew Holywood was a strategic national asset.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Haters gotta hate. ;) Hollywood is great when they stick to what they're there for, entertainment. Coincidentally, I find their political rantings most entertaining of all.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That's some wild shit. I had no idea. Who knew Holywood was a strategic national asset.

What I can't figure out was how they thought the Japanese were going to have enough intel to know that there was or wasn't a plant there. From today's perspective, this makes a lot of sense. Someone is flying over our territory and taking pictures (airplane or satellite). But back then, it's not like we wouldn't have known someone was overflying the area. Maybe civilian "spies?" Still, pretty neat.

jmcquate

Contributor
The fear of Japanese attacks on the west coast was at a fever pitch after Pear Harbor. A lot of things where done to prepare for the Nipponeses hordes.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The fear of Japanese attacks on the west coast was at a fever pitch after Pear Harbor. A lot of things where done to prepare for the Nipponeses hordes.

I get that, but it's not like people didn't know where the GIANT Boeing factory was. I remember driving by it whenever I'd visit my grandfather in Long Beach. It's a pretty creative idea, as was a lot of things back then, it's just interesting to see the idea from today's perspective where it makes so much (I'd argue more) sense.

KBayDog

The fear of Japanese attacks on the west coast was at a fever pitch after Pear Harbor.

Things were under control.

john+belushi+1941.jpg

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
What I can't figure out was how they thought the Japanese were going to have enough intel to know that there was or wasn't a plant there. From today's perspective, this makes a lot of sense. Someone is flying over our territory and taking pictures (airplane or satellite). But back then, it's not like we wouldn't have known someone was overflying the area. Maybe civilian "spies?" Still, pretty neat.

If you know Boeing is in Seattle, but don't know the exact building, odds are that pilots would target industrial looking buildings in hopes of hitting a high payoff target.

So, it makes sense to plade camouflage nets over the building to complicate the targetting process if Japan was able to launch a carrier strike from just off the west coast.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If you know Boeing is in Seattle, but don't know the exact building, odds are that pilots would target industrial looking buildings in hopes of hitting a high payoff target.

So, it makes sense to plade camouflage nets over the building to complicate the targetting process if Japan was able to launch a carrier strike from just off the west coast.

That's true. You would still be able to follow the roads to the right place, but with no GPS accuracy, you may be wondering "when" the complex will come into your sight. It's funny how the idea actually works both today and back then, albeit assuming the imagery is crappier today than it actually is.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
AV8BNVG.jpg

Vertical Night Landing

An AV-8B Harrier with Marine Attack Squadron 311, part of the Air Combat Element of the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit, lands on the USS Essex (LHD 2), March 6. The pilots of VMA 311 were conducting night carrier landing qualifications in preparation for the 31st MEU's Certification Exercise. The 31st MEU is the only continuously forward-deployed MEU and remains the nation's force in readiness in the Asia-Pacific region.
(U.S. Marine Corps photo by Cpl. Garry J. Welch)

Status
Not open for further replies.