• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Eyes have it - All things Vision-related

My astigmatism is -2.0 and -2.5, NAMI would shoot me down, right? From what I have read its a no-go (I think nfo is where my interests lie anyways) but I thought iI might as well see haha.

x15adam

SNA Applicant
My astigmatism is -2.0 and -2.5, NAMI would shoot me down, right? From what I have read its a no-go (I think nfo is where my interests lie anyways) but I thought iI might as well see haha.
According to the Aeromedical Reference and Waiver Guide, the SNA standard calls for -1.0 or better for astigmatism. But if you look at MouseLovr's posts (just in the previous page of this very thread, page 25) it seems as though the Navy is willing to accept SNA applicants with worse than -1.0 diopters of astigmatism. Honestly, if you're interested in SNA then give it a shot alongside SNFO. If you're selected SNA and end up having issues at your flight physical regarding this depth perception issue you can probably just redesignate to SNFO.

kirons7227

Hi all, heading down to Pensacola in hopefully September for SNA. I passed medical with 20/30 in both of my eyes uncorrected (20/20 corrected). My question is, should this be an issue once I get down to Pensacola? I have heard of a lot of people getting DQ'ed once they get down there. The reason I ask was that the optometrist made a comment about me barely making it through the uncorrected part. I asked if it would be an issue then, and he said not really. Thanks in advance for the help, probably just a little spooked.

kirons7227

I'm confused how did you barely pass with a 20/30? The cutoff is 20/40 so you didn't "barely pass". Did you have some other health issue you are worried about?
No, I just remember sitting there and the Captain was like well you are hanging in there but barely or something like that.

Mouselovr

Contributor
Hi all, heading down to Pensacola in hopefully September for SNA. I passed medical with 20/30 in both of my eyes uncorrected (20/20 corrected). My question is, should this be an issue once I get down to Pensacola? I have heard of a lot of people getting DQ'ed once they get down there. The reason I ask was that the optometrist made a comment about me barely making it through the uncorrected part. I asked if it would be an issue then, and he said not really. Thanks in advance for the help, probably just a little spooked.
Initial Flight physicals is where most people are cut medically. In Pensacola, they double check the previous results with basic tests that only last 10 minutes. After check in, the only NAMI whammies I knew were for super weird and “freaky” stuff.

Limit is 20/40 uncorrected so you’re fine. If you’re worried, get lasik once you’re checked in.

I also got told at my OCS flight physical my eyes were “barely there”, so I inquired to get lasik done in Pcola. Pensacola flight doc was highly confused bc I was comfortably within limits so no surgery for me….. but I swear those Newport doctors man, killers out to get ya

Anyway, you’ll have to wear glasses in the cockpit but be fine otherwise.

Last edited:

kirons7227

Initial Flight physicals is where most people are cut medically. In Pensacola, they double check the previous results with basic tests that only last 10 minutes. After check in, the only NAMI whammies I knew were for super weird and “freaky” stuff.

Limit is 20/40 uncorrected so you’re fine. If you’re worried, get lasik once you’re checked in.

I also got told at my OCS flight physical my eyes were “barely there”, so I inquired to get lasik done in Pcola. Pensacola flight doc was highly confused bc I was comfortably within limits so no surgery for me….. but I swear those Newport doctors man, killers out to get ya

Anyway, you’ll have to wear glasses in the cockpit but be fine otherwise.
Cool thanks, talked to my buddy down there last night and he said something similar. Are there restrictions on what platform you can fly with glasses? I am trying to fly fighters (suprise suprise). Thanks

Mouselovr

Contributor
Cool thanks, talked to my buddy down there last night and he said something similar. Are there restrictions on what platform you can fly with glasses? I am trying to fly fighters (suprise suprise). Thanks
Nope. No restriction.
Just have to look like a dork while doing it.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
At the end of primary, when they point at you and say, “Congratulations goggles, you’re going P-8’s.” don’t be surprised.

Just kidding…have fun in flight school, work hard, and the rest will sort itself out.

gage42

Hello, I'm looking to see if I'll manage to meet eye standards for SNA based on a few factors. Current vision is 20/20 corrected, sphere OD -4/OS -4.5 with astigmatism cylinder of -1.25 and -2 respectively. Gonna go out on a limb and say that's an auto-DQ for astigmatism/myopia as of now based on MANMED 15-86 1.b as the -2 cylinder is beyond the -1 parameter and OS -4.5 is worse than -1.5, much more than some of the other posters here. However, I intend to get corrective surgery (current civilian, so I know this will add extra paperwork) to rectify my vision a bit. My concern here is MANMED section 15-34 (Eyes) 3.b.1 states "Pre-surgical refractive error in either eye exceeds the standards for the program sought (i.e., +/- 8.00 diopters for enlistment, commission, and programs leading to a commission)". Is this implying that because my current astigmatism exceeds the -1 limit and my myopia exceeds the -1.5 limit for the SNA program (15-86), even if all goes well during corrective surgery I will still fall outside of the allowable standard due to current pre-op astigmatism/myopia levels?

TLDR: Over SNA allowable parameters for astigmatism/myopia, planning on getting corrective surgery, will I still be SOL post-op because I'm beyond the astigmatism/myopia limits pre-op?
Thank you for clarification, my recruiter's struggled to assist with this.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hello, I'm looking to see if I'll manage to meet eye standards for SNA based on a few factors. Current vision is 20/20 corrected, sphere OD -4/OS -4.5 with astigmatism cylinder of -1.25 and -2 respectively. Gonna go out on a limb and say that's an auto-DQ for astigmatism/myopia as of now based on MANMED 15-86 1.b as the -2 cylinder is beyond the -1 parameter and OS -4.5 is worse than -1.5, much more than some of the other posters here. However, I intend to get corrective surgery (current civilian, so I know this will add extra paperwork) to rectify my vision a bit. My concern here is MANMED section 15-34 (Eyes) 3.b.1 states "Pre-surgical refractive error in either eye exceeds the standards for the program sought (i.e., +/- 8.00 diopters for enlistment, commission, and programs leading to a commission)". Is this implying that because my current astigmatism exceeds the -1 limit and my myopia exceeds the -1.5 limit for the SNA program (15-86), even if all goes well during corrective surgery I will still fall outside of the allowable standard due to current pre-op astigmatism/myopia levels?

TLDR: Over SNA allowable parameters for astigmatism/myopia, planning on getting corrective surgery, will I still be SOL post-op because I'm beyond the astigmatism/myopia limits pre-op?
Thank you for clarification, my recruiter's struggled to assist with this.

Have you gotten a MEPS exam yet?

gage42

Have you gotten a MEPS exam yet?
Not yet. I figure that's the next step, but another concern would be going to MEPS and getting completely locked out because of my poor vision before I have the chance to fix it. Got my class I FAA certificate based on the recommendation of a family friend pilot, but honestly I assume that doesn't mean much beyond basic standards.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Not yet. I figure that's the next step, but another concern would be going to MEPS and getting completely locked out because of my poor vision before I have the chance to fix it. Got my class I FAA certificate based on the recommendation of a family friend pilot, but honestly I assume that doesn't mean much beyond basic standards.

My recommendation would be to get the MEPS medical exam and go from there. If you are cleared, you're good. If you are not qualified for aviation BUT can be corrected through surgery, etc. then get it done, get healed/cleared and then submit the paperwork.

gage42

My recommendation would be to get the MEPS medical exam and go from there. If you are cleared, you're good. If you are not qualified for aviation BUT can be corrected through surgery, etc. then get it done, get healed/cleared and then submit the paperwork.
So I'm not immediately DQ'd even given what MANMED 15-34 3.b.1 says? Just depends on MEPS and what the reviewers say after recovery?

Mouselovr

Contributor
Going to MEPS first then being DQed from pilot for your current vision will not permanently bar you from re-applying post-surgery.

I know there is a max standard for pre-lasik vision but its incredibly generous. And based on what you've provided:
Current vision is 20/20 corrected, sphere OD -4/OS -4.5 with astigmatism cylinder of -1.25 and -2 respectively
"Pre-surgical refractive error in either eye exceeds the standards for the program sought (i.e., +/- 8.00 diopters for enlistment, commission, and programs leading to a commission)"
You're well within range if you get corrective surgery.

Lasik/PRK are common surgeries for pilots.

FormerRecruitingGuru

So I'm not immediately DQ'd even given what MANMED 15-34 3.b.1 says? Just depends on MEPS and what the reviewers say after recovery?

If you are DQ'd, you can always submit documentation that shows the condition has been corrected and you are now within the guidelines.

If you have a missing limb, hypothetically, something like that will probably permanently DQ you for the rest of your life. However, things like vision, which may be corrected with surgery, are not "permanently DQ" as long as you fully healed.