• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Dumb Ensign...

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Ever since then, in the fleet, RAG, even civilian world, I always give the extension for them and say"...just in case I accidentally hang up on you." Either way, I never hear from them again. That day as an Ensign has scarred me.

Yes, that's SOP for clueless ENS's now. Give the ext. with the "transfer". You are right. They, at least, never call back. :D

dsevo

It would be awesome if someone could PM me the lead ensign email. I'm in a-pool right now and some friends and I were talking about it today, and we could always use a good laugh. Thanks.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
Rumor at South Field is that he didn't make it through API. True?

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm a little disappointed I will be a JG by the time I get to my first squadron. I figure I would have more retard points to use as an Ensign, God knows I need them.

Annalisa

Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
With the COD pipeline as backed up as it has been, my husband will have been an LT for a few months shy of a year by the time he makes it to his fleet squadron. Craziness.

rookie7734

None
My wife was a newly commissioned Navy Nurse and reported to Newport for the standard "knife and fork" school that Nurses and Doctors have to attend. The idea was to learn about the Navy and its traditions. One particular morning the topic was saluting.

My wife was all excited after the lecture. Later, while approaching the Exchange she passed a Petty Officer who did not salute her. Exasperated, she turned and asked the Petty Officer to halt, turn around and salute her. He did so, and she rendered a smart girl scout salute back...much to her embarrassment she had flubbed her first salute. From that day on my wife rarely saluted anyone.

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
The Up for UHF/Down for ICS used to confuse some SNAs in the Buckeye. I don't know if this belongs in "Dumb Ensign" or Stupidest Thing I Ever Heard" but TINS:

Back in the day, flying as Dash Four in the A-A Gun Pattern with VT-23, I overheard the following on UHF.

TRACTOR(with S-11, VT-23 XO, at the controls): "Three! If you thump the tractor again, you're goin' home!"
THREE (from the Ensign up front): "What the Fu@K is that a$$hole talking about? I didn't thump him!"
TRACTOR: "Three... go home."
THREE: (different voice) "Sorry Boss"

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
I haven't been an LT for a year yet and they're about to give me students... yikes....

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I'm a little disappointed I will be a JG by the time I get to my first squadron. I figure I would have more retard points to use as an Ensign, God knows I need them.

Don't worry, you will have plenty of retard points as the Nav...

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
TRACTOR(with S-11, VT-23 XO, at the controls): "Three! If you thump the tractor again, you're goin' home!"
THREE (from the Ensign up front): "What the Fu@K is that a$$hole talking about? I didn't thump him!"
TRACTOR: "Three... go home."
THREE: (different voice) "Sorry Boss"

Awesome.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
Something that I learned very early on: If (When) you screw up, it definitely benefits you to beat the news up your chain of command. Bad news is always better coming from down below than from on high. I knew a pilot a while back whose entire career (no exaggeration) was saved because he told the XO about a mistake he had made and the XO was able to do pro-active damage control on his behalf before things got out of hand. As it turns out, his mistake had been noticed and if he hadn't talked to the XO when he did it probably would have ended very, very badly for him.