• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"The Drone Papers"

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's classic ROE phrasing, not to get into details of those here. Hostile act vs hostile intent.

That ROE matrix usually presumes you're not already in a shooting war. B-17 gunners with Me-109s closing in didn't have to say "wait...let's see if he breaks into us before we know if we're cleared to shoot".

Don't mistake me: I'm not for one second advocating a "kill 'em all" ROE. But when you're in an actual shooting theater, the purpose of rules of engagement is to make sure you're shooting bad guys, not friendlies or Farmer Rasul. The chattering classes of the world want us to swoop in and arrest, with warrants and affidavits and rules of evidence, and that's not only unrealistic, but it's not required by any rules of war.

The Geneva Conventions simply don't have a category for organized, non-uniformed, armed forces of trans-national, stateless organizations. The closest category is maybe the levee-en-masse, which pretty much says you can't hang a guy as a bandit for shooting at you just because he's not in uniform. But even then, it assumes those people are operating as partisans or militia on behalf of a state. It's a huge legal grey area. Considering how long we've been fighting organizations just like that - AQ, FARC, Moros, ISIL, Red Brigades, etc - it seems past due for a change like that.

Personally, I think that if they're under arms and supporting warfare against the US, they're legitimate, legal targets. If they're inside the borders of the US, then it's a law-enforcement problem. Otherwise, fair game.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...Personally, I think that if they're under arms and supporting warfare against the US, they're legitimate, legal targets. If they're inside the borders of the US, then it's a law-enforcement problem. Otherwise, fair game.

We also have to remember that the drone strikes have occurred only in countries in which we are at war, are occupied by an enemy force, have large sections that are ungoverned or in some cases don't even have a functioning government to begin with. We aren't killing folks in places where some sort of 'rule of law' exists and either us or the locals can go in and arrest people with little issue.