• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The downside of women serving alongside men in fighting ships, subs, squadrons, etc.

MasterBates

God forbid, these women have done the responsible thing and waited to get to a non-deploying squadron to start having a family. How dare they.

Umm, they are there because they get sent there FROM the deploying squadron because they got knocked up right before the squadron goes on cruise. It's always funny how about a month before a CVW gets underway, VAW-120, VFA-106 and HSC-2 all get a new batch of Geedunk workers.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
I touched on this a little bit in another thread here, and I think villanelle touched on it a little bit here too.
We don't have enough people in the submarine force.
I don't know if it plays out the same in the surface fleet, but, we were 90 short for officer ascesions last year. They made up some of it by really torquing some people and forcing them to go nuke, and made up some more with NUPOCs, but last I checked NR still wanted another 15 O's for last year, not even addressing this year yet. That's just the officer side. I know they're still paying some zone B and C nukes 100K to reenlist, so I doubt the enlisted side is doing much better, at least in the engine room. I'm all for sending whoever you can that can do the job and support the watchbill, hotdog or taco. I'd bet a lot of people who have been that port and stbd watchstander for half an underway would agree too. Either you integrate or start forcing men to do our crappy jobs, draft or otherwise, I don't see any other way. Even with all the frat problems of integration, I bet politically its easier to integrate to fix manning problems than to push for a draft.

If we were building new nuclear plants here in the US that might not be as much of a problem.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
If we were building new nuclear plants here in the US that might not be as much of a problem.

How do you figure? If they were building nuke plants, wouldn't more "nukes" be getting out to operate them?

Higher number of people working in nuclear power =/= more sailors willling and available to go subs.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
There are quite a few sub vols who do it to avoid serving with women and dealing with all the above issues detailed in this thread. Not the majority, but some men will be lost if subs are integrated.

The thing is, how many women want to go subs? If the motivation behind integration is to increase manning, then the assumption is that they'll have enough women to both make up for the current shortage and make up for the men who choose not to volunteer because the service became integrated.

Methinks that they'll end up having to "draft" women for nuke just like they "draft" men currently. Then wait until the Navy Times posts an article about how women are disproportionately percentage-wise "forced" into the sub service because Big Navy isn't going to let billions in sub renovations go to waste. We'll be back at square 1, but with all the lovely frat issues that the surface fleet has been enduring for the past couple decades.