• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Doctor is in! Ask a Flight Surgeon!

bananawarrior

I've tried searching it up- maybe I didn't look hard enough (probably) but I was just selected for this summer's 10 week PLC class and I'm wondering when the best time is to get my wisdom teeth out. I'm going on an Air Contract so I don't want to mess with the flight physical standards I'll have to pass in the future though my teeth have recently been causing me noticeably more pain than they did before. I'm probably overthinking this routine surgery but I'm wondering what other people's experiences are/were with this! Thanks.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Pneumonia, draining fluid. What kind of down time would said friend be looking at with just the chest tube (once it’s pulled and person is healed up) and what would long term flight status be if said friend requires a lobectomy?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dude, you're a DH, you've already had your lobotomy. I presume this is how it's done...

giphy.gif

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Lobotomy and lobectomy are two different things...

That being said, hinge pins on her gold leaves at 2:41

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
I can't speak for NAMI, but I would consider this differently than a chest tube for pneumothorax. Assuming the pleural space wasn't infected, the pneumonia and pleural effusion should get better together. I'd wait until the chest x-ray and/or chest CT was normal before submitting the paperwork. That resolution may take a month or so, which would give the incision from the chest tube time to heal as well.

I never saw a waiver request for a lobectomy when I was at NAMI. I wouldn't be surprised if that went to a Special Board of Flight Surgeons if they would even consider a waiver. Again, the final disposition would probably depend a lot on why the lobectomy was needed. One huge obstacle in my opinion would be any concern about a potential weakness of the suture line when exposed to pressurized air like you'd get through a mask.

V/R

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I can't speak for NAMI, but I would consider this differently than a chest tube for pneumothorax. Assuming the pleural space wasn't infected, the pneumonia and pleural effusion should get better together. I'd wait until the chest x-ray and/or chest CT was normal before submitting the paperwork. That resolution may take a month or so, which would give the incision from the chest tube time to heal as well.

I never saw a waiver request for a lobectomy when I was at NAMI. I wouldn't be surprised if that went to a Special Board of Flight Surgeons if they would even consider a waiver. Again, the final disposition would probably depend a lot on why the lobectomy was needed. One huge obstacle in my opinion would be any concern about a potential weakness of the suture line when exposed to pressurized air like you'd get through a mask.

V/R
Thanks TB!
Pickle

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’m actually asking for a friend, not myself. I don’t go to the flight doc.
Does your "friend" go to the flight surgeon, because it sounds like he probably should. Also, when you say you don't go to the flight doc, what does that mean in a practical sense?