• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Doctor is in! Ask a Flight Surgeon!

iveyc

For the Doc,

I have been pro rec'd for Pilot, and just passed my MEPS this week with 20/20 vision, color, etc (I had PRK in OCT 2009). I have had my paperwork in for the waiver for some time(they did clear me for a physical) and was wondering if I will have to go through any additional tests before OCS. My Father is a flight surgeon for the Air Force and he mentioned something about a Contrast and Night Vision test at a certified Navy center. Any information on this? Thanks

zcbowers

Doc,

I have been selected for SNFO. I was waived for Grade I spondylothesis at MEPS. How will this play out once given a physical at OCS or Pensacola? Is this disqualifying?

Thanks

g3shooter1

Figured I would post here for anyone that works at MEPS or BUMED who might see this:

I want to become a groundpounder in the USMC

Only problem is that I have had OCD since I was 9. I am now 21 and 2 months shy of being completely off meds. My doctors think that I have been cured of my OCD and will issue letters stating such. The symptoms of my OCD started to go away towards the end of my teens, so it is very possible that I merely had a case of adolescent OCD (and may get re evaluated to see if that is the case).

Here is the interesting part, all of the recruiters I have talked to have told me that right now it would be hopeless for me to join. No waivers will be approved due to the rough economy and all the enlistees that do not require waivers. They advised me to wait a few years, and I have decided that waiting 5 years off meds would be a good plan, as it would show that I can function normally without them.

My hope is that I will be temporary disqualified with waiver recommended. Then when I get all the paperwork sent up to BUMED, the doctors who see it will think "Well he WAS on meds for 12 years, but has been off for over 5 and has two doctors stating that the majority of problems affected him during adolescence." Would a rediagnosis of adolescent OCD strengthen my chances?

I saw that it can be waivered for pilots who got it when they were in the military, but what about new enlistees? Do I have any shot at all?

I understand that any shot at becoming a helo pilot or a Marine officer would probably be killed by this.

ETA: I realize that this is an aviation forum and I want to be a groundpounder, but I bet that there are some people that are overly qualified to answer.

g3shooter1

Forgot to mention, I read the Armys medical standards for enlistment and found no other conditions listed that I have.

In other words, all I would need is a waiver for OCD.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Obviously I can't speak for those wanting to be ground pounders....but, generally speaking, one year off meds AND asymptomatic AND kind letters from your docs saying the OCD is either: 1. Gone or 2. Wasn't there in the first place will work for you. Five years is a long time to wait and most likely won't be necessary.

Figured I would post here for anyone that works at MEPS or BUMED who might see this:

I want to become a groundpounder in the USMC

Only problem is that I have had OCD since I was 9. I am now 21 and 2 months shy of being completely off meds. My doctors think that I have been cured of my OCD and will issue letters stating such. The symptoms of my OCD started to go away towards the end of my teens, so it is very possible that I merely had a case of adolescent OCD (and may get re evaluated to see if that is the case).

Here is the interesting part, all of the recruiters I have talked to have told me that right now it would be hopeless for me to join. No waivers will be approved due to the rough economy and all the enlistees that do not require waivers. They advised me to wait a few years, and I have decided that waiting 5 years off meds would be a good plan, as it would show that I can function normally without them.

My hope is that I will be temporary disqualified with waiver recommended. Then when I get all the paperwork sent up to BUMED, the doctors who see it will think "Well he WAS on meds for 12 years, but has been off for over 5 and has two doctors stating that the majority of problems affected him during adolescence." Would a rediagnosis of adolescent OCD strengthen my chances?

I saw that it can be waivered for pilots who got it when they were in the military, but what about new enlistees? Do I have any shot at all?

I understand that any shot at becoming a helo pilot or a Marine officer would probably be killed by this.

ETA: I realize that this is an aviation forum and I want to be a groundpounder, but I bet that there are some people that are overly qualified to answer.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Answered on another post.
Doc,

I have been selected for SNFO. I was waived for Grade I spondylothesis at MEPS. How will this play out once given a physical at OCS or Pensacola? Is this disqualifying?

Thanks

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Can't say for sure, as I have been retired for a couple of years, but, I am fairly certain you will have to go through a battery of tests. But not likely before OCS. Do you know the progress of your waiver application?

For the Doc,

I have been pro rec'd for Pilot, and just passed my MEPS this week with 20/20 vision, color, etc (I had PRK in OCT 2009). I have had my paperwork in for the waiver for some time(they did clear me for a physical) and was wondering if I will have to go through any additional tests before OCS. My Father is a flight surgeon for the Air Force and he mentioned something about a Contrast and Night Vision test at a certified Navy center. Any information on this? Thanks

g3shooter1

Thanks for the reply...my main reason behind waiting is so that I can have it documented that the medication is not needed and the symptoms are totally gone. In the meantime I will probably find some part time law enforcement work.

Now all I have to do is wait until the Marines are underrecruiting and granting waivers...another reason to wait for 4-6 years.

And pray. :)

Thanks again.

khuygie88

Also posted in the marine ocs section but I feel that I might get a faster response here:

I'm a college junior working on applying for a PLC air contract. I have yet to take the ASTB, but I know that when I sit And study for it that I will be just fine. My issue is this ( haven't had MEPS yet either): about 3.5 years ago I had some dizzy spells, nothing major, no passing out or falling to the ground, only happened once a month tops and dissipated in less than a minute, but I got them checked out. Saw a neurologist who performed a sleep deprived EEG and a head MRI and proclaimed me normal, no issues, and I stopped seeing him. The issues went away, nothing mentioned on my medical records about them for the past two years. Doctors were unable to induce or get them to repeat. I would hate to waste everyone's time with the ASTB and all to get denied at the flight physical...

I know that to someone reading my medical history these would raise a red flag, understandably. Is this enough to disqualify me from passing a flight physical?

I've read over medical question lists and none of the symptoms/ issues on those lists match what happened to me, and they haven't happened in two years! I would feel obligated to bring it up if asked about other issues. This is the ONLY blemish on my medical records! No broken bones or anything beyond that!

I will be asking my OSO about it and maybe bring it up during MEPS? It's all in writing on my medical history( I obtained a copy) so there is really no point in hiding it.

EDIT: To get a bit more technical, my neurologist classified these events as pre-syncope, no tongue biting, no incontinence, no passing out. Not seizures or anything of the sort. After reading the Syncope Waiver just now, how difficult is it to obtain one?? I do not fall under any of the "will not issue" categories.

Opinions? I am located in RI, so if it means going through MEPS and taking the ASTB to head over to Newport to get checked, I can do that...

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
88, given what the neurologist said and lack of repeatable episodes, I would be surprised if MEPS did anything more than perform another MRI. No syncope = no need for a waiver. You are worrying too much.

khuygie88

88, given what the neurologist said and lack of repeatable episodes, I would be surprised if MEPS did anything more than perform another MRI. No syncope = no need for a waiver. You are worrying too much.

Awesome! Thanks for the reply doc. At one point I did figure that I was over thinking/stressing the episodes, but like I said this is the only blemish on my medical history and I would hate to be DQ'd because of it. Thanks again.

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
To the Doc,

During a flight physical do they take the time to examinine every single finger, toe, etc? How thorough is this physical?

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
Doc,

My question is specifically about a pinkie finger. I would like to preface this with saying I have already passed a commissioning physical just not a flight physical (haven't tried). I worked on a farm growing up and because of an accident my pinkie finger can't straighten. I never went to a hospital. I put band aids on it and taped it to my other finger. I still have strength in it and can make a fist, but when I straighten my fingers the pinkie stays at about 15 degrees. It doesn't affect my day to day at all. Will this be an issue. I thank you in advance for your response.