• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The DCA Saga Continues...

phrogpilot73

Just heard that all 10 primaries verbally accepted their commissions. So, unless something remarkable happens, I'm assuming that I won't get picked up off the alternate list. I'm also planning on reapplying for the December board. With that being said, I started prepping my package (I know the message hasn't come out with deadlines yet, but I'd rather be ahead of the power curve this time) and had a question that I hadn't asked in the past.

Does anyone know if the requirement for 3 LOR's is the maximum? I have 3 people already writing me one, but I'm wondering if it would improve my chances/make my package look better if I had more (I'm not thinking 20 or 30, more like 5 or 6).

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Does anyone know if the requirement for 3 LOR's is the maximum? I have 3 people already writing me one, but I'm wondering if it would improve my chances/make my package look better if I had more (I'm not thinking 20 or 30, more like 5 or 6).

I'll write you one! You'll be guaranteed a slot this time. ;)

samlobo

pilot
None
On the LORs, 3 is the min and the max...in fact, I wouldn't turn in more than that. You don't want to waste the board's time taking all day to read your LORs, so just pick your best 3 and use those. If you have 3 strong LORs, you shouldn't have a problem. With that being said, LORs are not everything when it comes to your packet. Quite honestly, you could have had your buddies write them for you, who knows? There are so many other factors that play into your application, that you should focus on making the best impression you can in your interview and making yourself as marketable as possible. I wish you both the best of luck in this process and hope you continue to apply until you get picked up!
Jen

phrogpilot73

On the LORs, 3 is the min and the max...in fact, I wouldn't turn in more than that. You don't want to waste the board's time taking all day to read your LORs, so just pick your best 3 and use those. If you have 3 strong LORs, you shouldn't have a problem. With that being said, LORs are not everything when it comes to your packet. Quite honestly, you could have had your buddies write them for you, who knows? There are so many other factors that play into your application, that you should focus on making the best impression you can in your interview and making yourself as marketable as possible. I wish you both the best of luck in this process and hope you continue to apply until you get picked up!
Jen
Excellent. That's what I assumed, that 3 was an exact requirement... Just wanted to make sure. I had heard that the interview was the single most important thing, and I'm assumed that since I was #2 alternate (and a helo guy) that I probably did OK. I'm going to call the DCA Coordinator on Monday and see...

Welcome aboard from the 'dark side' over at APTAP ;) Collaboration and spreading the gouge is key!

samlobo

pilot
None
Yes, stick with 3 LORs. As an example, my 3 were from the following: Battalion Standardization Officer CW5/GS-13, Battalion Commander O-5 type, and the board president of the non-profit animal shelter I volunteered at (former O-5 retired). All 3 LORs touched on different facets of my life (flight skills, leadership, and volunteerism) and were completely different from one another. I would definitely not turn in more than 3 LORs. Hopefully you can sift through all the letters people are writing for you an find the ones that best represent you and what you have to offer the CG.

You are absolutely right in that the interview is extremely important. If you blow the interview, forget about getting picked up. But if you had cookie-cutter LORs, you might still make it with all the other parts of your packet being above-average.

If it makes you feel any better, I was the #2 alternate last year, and here I sit, a year into the Coast Guard, and grateful for every minute of it. Keep trying and things will pan out.

phrogpilot73

If it makes you feel any better, I was the #2 alternate last year, and here I sit, a year into the Coast Guard, and grateful for every minute of it. Keep trying and things will pan out.
So did you have to reapply, or did you get picked up as the #2 alternate? If you got picked up as the #2 alternate, how soon after the board did you find out?

samlobo

pilot
None
To answer your question, I didn't have to reapply. A week after the results came out in January 06, the DCA Coordinator called me and told me they decided to open up more slots at the last minute and did I want to accept the offer....I gave a big, "HELL YEAH!" That doesn't happen every board, keep that in mind. In any event, I would have kept reapplying every board until I got in if I didn't get picked up on that one.