• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The CSOs are coming, the CSOs are coming...to PCola no less!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Air Force magazine doesn't stray far from the party line (unlike Proceedings professed independent forum heritage for the Navy) and here's their latest on how big Blue is big into Combat System Officer (CSO) training at Pensacola.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Hrm... I wonder if the AF is going to start sending everyone through a VT-4/10 style primary syllabus...

Sidenote: The B-1 WSO in the pic about half way through th article is currently a VT-86 instructor.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Thanks for the link. I'm headed to VT-4 and am looking forward to seeing how things have changed in eleven years...

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Hrm... I wonder if the AF is going to start sending everyone through a VT-4/10 style primary syllabus...

Sidenote: The B-1 WSO in the pic about half way through th article is currentyly a VT-86instructor.

But you can't recognize him, though.

EvilGN

pilot
word around the grapevine is the OCS buildings will be used for CSO training, I am not sure about the aircraft addition to this base....any more planes and I think we should qualify for Class B airspace.
I can only imagine parking will be an issue around BLDG 633 with the addition of a whole new API like class for the AF alone. I see lots of students parking on the seawall in the near future.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
“We’d like to say that navs are on equal footing with pilots, but that’s not the case,” said Lightfoot.

Man, hearing that, it'd just make me want to sign up even more......

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
word around the grapevine is the OCS buildings will be used for CSO training, I am not sure about the aircraft addition to this base....any more planes and I think we should qualify for Class B airspace.

Something that PNS TraCon would love. For TRAWING 5, every time we check in w/ Approach coming back from the areas, we're supposed to report the OLF so they can track that all these aircraft aren't just passing through, but originating from the w/in the TRACON. Not sure if you guys do the same thing, I just haven't heard it on the radios when I've been down at Sherman.

I'm amazed it's been this long w/out changing it to a Class B. Three ARSAs next to one another is almost the same size.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
word around the grapevine is the OCS buildings will be used for CSO training

Yeah, you just have to move some letters around on the front of the building...but in USAF fashion they'll probably knock it down and build a new one.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Something that PNS TraCon would love. For TRAWING 5, every time we check in w/ Approach coming back from the areas, we're supposed to report the OLF so they can track that all these aircraft aren't just passing through, but originating from the w/in the TRACON. Not sure if you guys do the same thing, I just haven't heard it on the radios when I've been down at Sherman.

I'm amazed it's been this long w/out changing it to a Class B. Three ARSAs next to one another is almost the same size.

Yeah, we don't mention that to approach, but I do agree with you on it not being a Class B.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
We've got almost zero travel time from the area to NPA... wouldn't make sense... I know for T-6's coming in from the area, we reported Jack Edwards then got clearance onto the rules, but thats just props only.

But like I said, we've almost zero travel time from the area... by the time we finish checking out of the area, we're damn near on top of NPA... especially in the T-2...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
We've got almost zero travel time from the area to NPA... wouldn't make sense... I know for T-6's coming in from the area, we reported Jack Edwards then got clearance onto the rules, but thats just props only.

But like I said, we've almost zero travel time from the area... by the time we finish checking out of the area, we're damn near on top of NPA... especially in the T-2...

But you still have to check in at JKA (which is a hell of a lot harder for a T-34 to do WITH A PPR than it should be, but I digress), which could be where it would happen. Same thing with us. You're out of the local TRACON and then entering into it, so that must mean you didn't originate here and therefore doesn't warrant the extra ATC manning. That's what they're getting at.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
(Pensacola)....I'm amazed it's been this long w/out changing it to a Class B. ....
:) Especially when one contemplates the ramifications of something like this:

pensacolafl45sectmf3.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
^^^ Wow, how old is that chart?
Late '40's .... :) Most fields were still extant when I showed up @ two decades later -- just the freq's had changed ...

I don't see 4-Silo Farm, however. That would have been west of "Helm" on the chart -- Helm being near the "Danger Area" . Or perhaps that's where 4-Silo Farm was .... the danger area .... as that's where we got most of the girls for the O'Club dances .... :D

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Besides the girls, any idea what the Danger Area was supposed to be? Ironically enough, Horak is now on the edge of it, but I doubt that was around back then. Who the hell would jump out of airplanes back then except for a few crazy Army guys.