• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The civillian sector $$$

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Hi all. I know we only have a few chops that read visit this forum from time to time, but i'd like to kick something around.

I hear there is big money for suppos in the civillian sector, and have been hearing this from day one, even before I was interested in being a chop. Anyone have any first hand stories/knowledge of this?

Can a suppo do his four, get an MBA and easily turn 6 figure incomes right out of the navy like I've been hearing? Are there a set of typical 'shoe in' careers for post navy chops, or do they fill a multitude of jobs in different sectors? You get the idea.

No real point to this, just trying to have a 6-10+ year outlook life. Thanks!

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I'd like to dispel the myth that an MBA (whether your experience is in the military or the civil sector) automatically puts you in the running for a six figure income. Top companies who dole out this kind of cash typically recruit at top buisness schools (Harvard, Penn, Northwestern, Stanford...you get the idea).

For example, the average salary for an MBA from Indiana is 76K. Indiana is rated as a top 30 B-school by US News and Business week. Now that 76K sounds pretty good, but keep in mind that during B-school you'll have a negative income. You're paying to go to school (not cheap, and there aren't fellowships and TA/RA opps like engineering grad school) plus you won't be drawing an income.

Making big bucks in the civilian sector is possible, but be prepared to blaze your own trail. Don't expect them to read your resume and fall all over you.

KBayDog

If you're after six figures, and don't want to work hard to get there, you could just appear on one of those fly-by-night game shows where the world's best brown-nosers stab each other in the back to get the "honor" of working for a convicted felon.

marthastewart.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Godspeed said:
......I hear there is big money for suppos in the civillian sector, and have been hearing this from day one, even before I was interested in being a chop. Anyone have any first hand stories/knowledge of this?

Can a suppo do his four, get an MBA and easily turn 6 figure incomes right out of the navy .......!

Friend of mine --- very sharp guy --- O-6 Supply ... ended up being a big shot in charge of the Navy's petroleum stores for CincPac (?) -- then got a few big-$$$$$ offers from a couple of oil companies when he got out -- to start as a top manager. That's his story and my story ....

But in 4 years .... ??? With/without an MBA??? Good luck .... fair winds, etc., etc. :)

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Godspeed said:
I hear there is big money for suppos in the civillian sector, and have been hearing this from day one, even before I was interested in being a chop. Anyone have any first hand stories/knowledge of this?

I used to live in the same neighborhood with a couple of chops. One left the Navy after his tour and sold Amway. The other retired after 20 and became a high school teacher.

There are no magic bullets. MBA's are a dime a dozen. So are pork chops. Unless you have some very special, unique and very valuable experience that few others have – so valuable that someone will pay you big $'s for - or you are from one of the top, exclusive business schools, you will not stick out in the crowd. And if you do not stand out, you will not be paid big bucks. Regardless, the best money to be made is working for yourself.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I think the answer is "it all depends". It's a gian market place and it's all about finding your niche. Once you have marketable value added skills backed up by past peformance you will succeed anywhere.

My story - I left active duty in 94/95, went in the reserves and found my first civillian job ever as an engineer. Hated the company I was at - thought I was going nowhere. Made the whopping sum of $37,000 as a salary and did reserve stuff on top of that. The civillian transition was not a cake walk - even though I had 10 years in the military as a Naval Officer and a Naval Aviator, I was considered unproven, young, and not really knowing anything. I learned a ton about the "real world" during this time :) Also made me realize I had a passion for technology.

So I worked as hard as I could - and after less than two years I was really missing flying full time - jumped on an EMS helo position here where I was laready living - minutes from my home (how lucky was that!). Great job - a blast - put you could look at the payscale and pay charts and see that as a line pilot I would never make more than $55k after say 10 years. Not good.

So job search 3 - this time in an engineering/IT position - armed with what I knew from job search 1 - and I was very very lucky to land an IT position as a very mid level project manager with a great global company (that wasn't easy and I worked my ass of showing I could do the job and I was more than just a helo pilot..). That was 8 years ago.

I just cleared low six figures and I really like my job. I don't have an MBA - instead I focused on moving up in the organization and knowing the business and my trade technology wise. I lead a department of engineers - which is a blast (beacause all these guys are smarter than I am). I get to put into practice the leadership skills I cut my teeth on as a JO/nugget.

So it's all doable. Have a goal, decide what you want to do and go for it.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
KBayDog said:
If you're after six figures, and don't want to work hard to get there, you could just appear on one of those fly-by-night game shows where the world's best brown-nosers stab each other in the back to get the "honor" of working for a convicted felon.

marthastewart.jpg

Easy there turbo. Of course I don't want to work to get anywhere in life, but, i don't have a choice :D . Why try to make six figures while working hard if you can do so without putting in any effort at all? :icon_wink

Of course it all depends on the individual. Tell me something I don't know.

All I was trying to say, was that I have heard from a few, that businesses look very highly upon the skills and experience a former supply officer possesses (in the areas of logistics, management, etc). I started this thread because I was wondering if anyone knows exactly how much weight that carries on a resume.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Godspeed said:
I started this thread because I was wondering if anyone knows exactly how much weight that carries on a resume.

That varies. You're not gonna just put "supply officer" on your resume, you'll list bullets and be prepared to elaborate during the job interview (yes, you'll have to interview, you can't just whip your cock out on the table and say "I was in the supply corps baby, give me some sugar).

For instance, on a carrier, an ENS/LTJG Supply officer can have a billet like "Sales officer" or "Staterooms Officer". Needless to say that's not nearly as much responsibility as an O-1/O-2 being the Suppo on a smaller command like a sub. The Suppo on a carrier is an O-5 and he has plenty of minions. If you're interested in building a resume, go for the billets with more responsibility.

Cornellianintel

Thisguy said:
That varies. You're not gonna just put "supply officer" on your resume, you'll list bullets and be prepared to elaborate during the job interview (yes, you'll have to interview, you can't just whip your cock out on the table and say "I was in the supply corps baby, give me some sugar).

For instance, on a carrier, an ENS/LTJG Supply officer can have a billet like "Sales officer" or "Staterooms Officer". Needless to say that's not nearly as much responsibility as an O-1/O-2 being the Suppo on a smaller command like a sub. The Suppo on a carrier is an O-5 and he has plenty of minions. If you're interested in building a resume, go for the billets with more responsibility.

ROFLROFL:D

snizo

Supply Officer
Companies that focus on hiring military personnel usually have someone in the interview who came out of the military. That means you can't pull "I was a supply officer" and expect it to mean anything until you back it up with a bit more detail.

smell the glove

An O-1 on a carrier could have upwards of 30 people working under them, whereas on a sub, they're lucky to pull 10 bodies. Very good managment experience. Plus, they can be made responsible for absurd amounts of money, all good resume filler.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
smell the glove said:
An O-1 on a carrier could have upwards of 30 people working under them, whereas on a sub, they're lucky to pull 10 bodies. Very good managment experience. Plus, they can be made responsible for absurd amounts of money, all good resume filler.

On a sub, you're the only supply offiicer, and thus the department head. You'll have senior SKs working for you. That's more impressive than having TAD Airmen from the squadrons cleaning staterooms or SHs who ring you up at 7-11 working for you. I've been on a carrier, 30 seems high.