• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Citadel, Part Deux

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
My father-in-law was a Citadel guy...chemistry major if IIRC.

Yes, Charleston is nice, but when you leave the Citadel's main gate, don't turn the wrong way or you're in Da Hood.

Actually.. You have to turn the right way to go into the hood. It's wierd. The further you get from the city (at least in the vicinity of the school) the less ghetto it gets. But only slightly.

When you are a knob and you have to walk to get downtown, you will become very familiar with the project housing on Hagood avenue. I always feared for my life when walking by those. Always travel in packs.

Navyfan06

pilot
The only reason why Jolly feared for his life is because he is a really small dude and couldent really fend off the hoodlums...even with his Q groupies :) :) :)

I use to run those streets in the morning, its not that bad, and knobs travel in packs anyways. Even in downtown.

jollygreen07

pilot
Contributor
The only reason why Jolly feared for his life is because he is a really small dude and couldent really fend off the hoodlums...even with his Q groupies :) :) :)

Erroneous!! Erroneous on both counts!!

Well, mostly just the small dude count.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When you are a knob and you have to walk to get downtown, you will become very familiar with the project housing on Hagood avenue. I always feared for my life when walking by those. Always travel in packs.

Sorry, but the Charleston 'hood' is very tame to waht I was used to growing up. I never had any problems walking by there......and you have to make the sacrifice in order to get to St Philips dorm!

P.S. I guess you never figured out that if you travel in a pack you don't have as much success with the ladies. ;)

jollygreen07

pilot
Contributor
Sorry, but the Charleston 'hood' is very tame to waht I was used to growing up. I never had any problems walking by there......and you have to make the sacrifice in order to get to St Philips dorm!

P.S. I guess you never figured out that if you travel in a pack you don't have as much success with the ladies. ;)

Well, it was worse than what I was used to. So, to me it was pretty creepy.. To each their own I guess.

And yes, we did figure it out. It wasn't so much the packs, but the bald heads and fact that no matter what we did, pack travel or not, we couldn't hide the fact that we were knobs. I guess I just didn't have the charisma to get past that. Oh well. I used to laugh at the guys who were standing outside those dorms as I was walking downtown to get something to eat.. Aaaaah.. memories.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
It wasn't so much the packs, but the bald heads and fact that no matter what we did, pack travel or not, we couldn't hide the fact that we were knobs.

Aren't you required to wear your cadet uniforms even in Charleston? At VMI, street clothes are not allowed in the barracks, and all cadets must be in uniform in any place in the entire Rockbridge County.

jollygreen07

pilot
Contributor
Aren't you required to wear your cadet uniforms even in Charleston? At VMI, street clothes are not allowed in the barracks, and all cadets must be in uniform in any place in the entire Rockbridge County.

Yep. W/in 25 miles of the campus you are required to be in uniform. Most people, including knobs nowadays don't really seem to abide by that rule. I wore civiies one time as a knob and my life was hell for a month after that... Never did it again, not even as an upperclassman. It varies by company, but get caught by the wrong person and your ass is on the quad (walking tours) for a little bit.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor

Not entirely true. First Classmen have the privilege of keeping civies in their rooms.

Forgot to mention, certain permits allow you to leave in civies if you're going out of county. And then there's running the block. . .

tlevine

All I know about the citadel is that they make angry roommates...Jolly :) Yeah yeah, I was bored on my SDO watch.

KBayDog

And yes, we did figure it out. It wasn't so much the packs, but the bald heads and fact that no matter what we did, pack travel or not, we couldn't hide the fact that we were knobs...I used to laugh at the guys who were standing outside those dorms as I was walking downtown to get something to eat.. Aaaaah.. memories.

Where did the Knobbies go when they went downtown, besides Applebee's?