• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The basics of API

JWL

THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT API

Before API:
Find something fun to do. Don’t worry about studying before you start. While I was there, it was changed so you could only pick up your pubs within two weeks of your start date. That’s more than enough time. Put them in your bathroom and flip through them while you’re in there. Do that and you should be prepared. If you try to pre-study or make flashcards or anything, the problem is that there may be six or eight paragraphs talking about one learning objective and you don’t know what to focus on. Just wait until you get to class and you’ll see what’s important.

During API:
If there’s anything I can stress, it’s this…IT’S NOT AS BAD AS PEOPLE MAKE IT OUT TO BE.

People like to get all wrapped up in the daily schedule of API before they even get there. Here’s what you need to know about the schedule:
First four weeks: academics, swimming
Last two weeks: physiology, survival training
Worry about start times and class lengths break times and which classes are in what order once you start. There are six tests (in alphabetical order):
Aero 1
Aero 2
Engines
FR&R
Nav
Weather
Five of them are pure memorization. No high level concepts you need to wrap your brain around, just memorize the definitions. For nav you actually have to know how to work the problems. It’s nothing complicated, it’s simple math (with a few definitions thrown in) but the math is done on the flight computer. Just make sure you know how to estimate and use the CR-3 (all of this will be taught in class.) For the nav test, make sure you cut your chart the right way. If you cut it wrong there's a good chance one of your points won't be there anymore. Work the problems, ask questions if you have help. For the other tests, memorize. I went through and made sure I could spit out the entire answer word for word for every learning objective. I probably spent 2-4 hours a night studying, that time included being quizzed by my wife. The only gouge I used was a couple of NavyGouge practice tests (which had several wrong answers) and I had an average in the 90’s.
For swimming, just do what they tell you to do. If you’re comfortable in the water, you’ll be fine. The mile swim is not hard, it’s just boring. Thirty-six laps in the pool. I took my time and made full use of the glide and still finished in just over fifty minutes.

Around the end of the third week you’ll get your gear. DON’T be a tool and start wearing your leather jacket the next day. DO make sure you IP your flight suits before you wear them. DON'T forget that even though it is a working uniform you shouldn't be a slob. DO wash those things once in a while.

The last two weeks is pretty easy. You do have a physiology test but it’s pretty simple and there’s a thorough review the day before the test. Physiology and survival were pretty fun. Just try not to get hurt during parachute training. People make the dunker out to be this blood thirsty student-eating machine. It’s not. If you pay attention to what you’re told and apply it in the water, you won’t have any problems. The days you get in the bay if the water is cold, wetsuits are available for you to use. Or bring your own if you don’t like smelling like an asscrack.

Take pictures.

Try not to fail anything.

After API:
Good luck.

Hopefully this will answer at least a couple of questions for some of you.
Slightly off topic, but how much time typically from API to wings for the Strike/Jet pipeline? I read somewhere that it takes about 2.5 years from the time someone starts API until a new aviator is assigned to a squadron on a carrier. But, the 8 year service commitment clock starts from the time one receives wings. For jets, I assume this is not 2.5 years after the start of training. Is it about after 52 weeks?

Thanks.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Slightly off topic, but how much time typically from API to wings for the Strike/Jet pipeline? I read somewhere that it takes about 2.5 years from the time someone starts API until a new aviator is assigned to a squadron on a carrier. But, the 8 year service commitment clock starts from the time one receives wings. For jets, I assume this is not 2.5 years after the start of training. Is it about after 52 weeks?

Thanks.

It varies considerably person to person but 2+ years to wings is not uncommon. I commissioned in May 08, winged in February 11, and got to the fleet in February 12. And yes, your commitment is 8 years post winging, so most VFA types will hit MSR after around 10-11 years of service.

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
Does your API NSS have an impact on your
primary NSS?

Yes, but not enough to make or break you. In my opinion, API has two main purposes: teaching the Navy style of studying (firehouse of information/rote memorization for the most part) and weeding out those who will not make the cut for various reasons before spending a plethora of money on their flight training.

JWL

It varies considerably person to person but 2+ years to wings is not uncommon. I commissioned in May 08, winged in February 11, and got to the fleet in February 12. And yes, your commitment is 8 years post winging, so most VFA types will hit MSR after around 10-11 years of service.
Thanks. Why does it seem to take so long to wings nowadays? I thought in the past it would be about a year after commissioning. Is it because the training is more complex nowadays? Is there lag between the different training programs? For example, between API and the next phase? Between intermediate and advanced training?

And, apologies for the ignorance, but what is MSR?

Thanks.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Thanks. Why does it seem to take so long to wings nowadays? I thought in the past it would be about a year after commissioning. Is it because the training is more complex nowadays? Is there lag between the different training programs? For example, between API and the next phase? Between intermediate and advanced training?

Thanks.
Compared to what? What's your frame of reference? I started API in May 2000, got winged in May 2002, and joined fleet squadron in June 2003 - obviously, that was a little while ago, but what time frame are you comparing to? WWII, Korea, Vietnam, 80s, late 90s? The three years to fleet for TACAIR answer that has been provided here (several times) is the best planning factor you're going to get.

Last edited:

Python

pilot
Contributor

Thanks.

Nowadays? The numbers you were given arent anything new. Consistently taken that long from API to wings. For me it was a little over 2 years. Who told you that it's slower/longer?

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot

The reasons for various slow-downs vary from person to person, but I spent 5 months in primary, 12 in advanced, and 9 in the RAG. I don't think it's possible to get through much faster than that. I also had about a cumulative year of sitting around waiting, which could be cut down depending on your timing.

MSR is your minimum service requirement - i.e., when your commitment is up.

JWL

The reasons for various slow-downs vary from person to person, but I spent 5 months in primary, 12 in advanced, and 9 in the RAG. I don't think it's possible to get through much faster than that. I also had about a cumulative year of sitting around waiting, which could be cut down depending on your timing.

MSR is your minimum service requirement - i.e., when your commitment is up.

JWL

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, I spoke to a much older pilot who gave me the impression that the road to wings was not 2 plus years.

Plus, according the following biography, it used to take a year. But, perhaps for NFOs back in the early 80s (and maybe today), it's was a different ballgame.

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/bios/navybio.asp?bioID=535

What does an officer do during the "waiting around" time between training cycles? And, why is there such waiting around in the first place?

Thanks.

Python

pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the clarification. Yes, I spoke to a much older pilot who gave me the impression that the road to wings was not 2 plus years.

Plus, according the following biography, it used to take a year. But, perhaps for NFOs back in the early 80s (and maybe today), it's was a different ballgame.

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/bios/navybio.asp?bioID=535

What does an officer do during the "waiting around" time between training cycles? And, why is there such waiting around in the first place?

Thanks.

In general, NFOs have a shorter time in the pipeline, and I'm sure the 80s had a different timeline since it was so long ago.

During the waiting around time, in addition to getting ahead on academics if you're motivated, there's boozing, beaching, boating, flirting, boozing, shooting, road tripping, boozing, and debauchery.

As for the wait times, the different training squadrons will have preset class start dates. If you finish API and check into primary, but the next primary class doesn't start for a few weeks, then you have some time off. This works even better if you're not supposed to be in one of the next few classes that begin (likely due to class saturation). Then you really have some time off. This situation can happen at any point in your training until the fleet.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
NFOs are getting pushed through very quickly right now. I.e. report to Pensacola right after finishing OCS, waiting 2-3 weeks to class up for IFS, and 2-3 weeks to class up for API after finishing IFS. For pilots the wait is much greater, I've heard everything from 3 to 8+ weeks to class up for IFS and another ~5 weeks to class up for API, but things are very in-flux right now and you really don't have an idea of how long you'll wait until you get the email saying your classing up next week.

Bottom line: the pipeline moves in spurts, and it's more likely than not that you'll have some time off at some point. But hey, getting paid as an O-1 to sit around and drink beers on the beach ain't all that bad ;)

JWL

NFOs are getting pushed through very quickly right now. I.e. report to Pensacola right after finishing OCS, waiting 2-3 weeks to class up for IFS, and 2-3 weeks to class up for API after finishing IFS. For pilots the wait is much greater, I've heard everything from 3 to 8+ weeks to class up for IFS and another ~5 weeks to class up for API, but things are very in-flux right now and you really don't have an idea of how long you'll wait until you get the email saying your classing up next week.

Bottom line: the pipeline moves in spurts, and it's more likely than not that you'll have some time off at some point. But hey, getting paid as an O-1 to sit around and drink beers on the beach ain't all that bad ;)
Thanks. I guess the Navy does not actually assign you to a desk job or any other type of position during these wait times because it wouldn't make sense to have someone start a job and then quit after 2 months. It sounds a bit inefficient to have someone wait around like that, but whatever.