• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The ASTB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chenson1s

I am getting ready to take the ASTB soon. I was told to come here and get help from everyone on here. I am applying for Marine OCS. Any help is greatly appreciatted. Thanks for the Help, Chuck

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Download the "gouge" and study....Ask questions if you've got them.
ea6bflyr

wannabef18pilot

EA6b flyer (or should I address you as sir?),

I am a sophomore in NROTC and I really want to get selected for aviation. My major is political science, I have a 3.6 GPA currently, and my standing is good in the unit.

I took the ASTB for the first time and received terrible scores: 4,4,4 45. I studied from the ARCO book for military flight aptitude tests. I was wondering if you or anyone who has had success could tell us their study system or test taking habits for success. And also, is it better to wait a year when I take physics to retake the ASTB, or earlier while the test is still fresh in my head?

Thanks

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Like ea6bflyr said, go to the section of the site where you can download the study guide. If you can't find it just ask. There is a practice test that is VERY similar to the way the test used to be. Recently though they redid the test and I can't comment on how similar it is to the study guide. Still, it is surely good practice.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
And also, is it better to wait a year when I take physics to retake the ASTB, or earlier while the test is still fresh in my head?

Wannabe - I would wait a while and study up on some of the items. Even though the test still might be fresh in your head, it will be the same style of questions, possibly a bit more challenging (dont know about that one because I've only taken it once). But the point is, out of all of the questions you missed, you probably got most of them wrong because you didnt know how to do them. Of course theres the occaisional quick mistake or misunderstanding of it even though you know how to do it. I would reccommend taking some time to become a little more proficient in the style of questions asked so that you can rip the second test a new one. I did pretty good on it so PM me if you need help with something.

Slammer

Astb

The gouge on this site on the ASTB is how i found air warriors to begin with, you'll want to review that. Take it to the gym and go over problems while biking if you have to.

Some advice...
  • Verbal - review the examples in the gouge, and pay most attention to the rule being tested in the question- more so than the actual sentences...
  • Math - take the gouge practice test.. if you are unsure or don't know about what method is needed to solve a problem put a big fat star next to that number, try what you think is right, and keep going... after completing it really work hard to understand the underlying concepts and theorums needed for the questions you were unsure about, its not enough to pick the right answer.. know the concept because i guarantee you'll see it again, slightly modified.
  • Flight - the one with little planes and the horizon/ground... it wont be enough to study a few practice examples as this is a rushed excercise. you'll see some pretty f-ed up drawings in this section on the real test, much more than this site's gouge. be ready for anything, and practice answering these flight questions as fast as you can so you wont feel the crunch during the real deal.
  • Navy / Flight knowledge - its not enough to watch Top Gun, though it might help. air warriors' gouge has some excellent examples for this setction, this is more memorization so you have no excuse not to know what the designation of the "Harrier" is..

I passed it, and moved on. Put hard time into it and you'll be fine.

ru400hurdler

Chenson1s said:
I am getting ready to take the ASTB soon. I was told to come here and get help from everyone on here. I am applying for Marine OCS. Any help is greatly appreciatted. Thanks for the Help, Chuck

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get info about the aviation and nautical part of the ASTB? I already have the stuff that is from the webpage but after taking the test once, I realized that none of those questions were asked and that part of the test was way more in depth.

fireval

I heard that it is possible to get out of the ASTB by getting a high enough score on the SAT...Is this actually possible? I have a feeling its not. (I got a 1320).
Thanks

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, maybe for the ASVAB but not the ASTB. You have to take it no matter what.

rrnavy

Any on have any new ASTB gowdge? I have taken the test, and need mor resorces to study with respect to naval crap, and flight aptitude section. Also the new tests, the pics in the spatial section are way different than in ARCo or on this sight. Any recomendations for study material in adition to the gogue on this site and the ARCO book?

bcatcher5

Selected OCC 190
PilotCPB said:
Are the pics harder to figure out than the ARCO ones?

The spacial apperception diagrams on the ASTB are, in some ways, a little more difficult than the ARCO diagrams. I would have to say the real ASTB diagrams are very different then the diagrams found in the ARCO books. The difference between the the real test and arco is. 1) you have to figure out bank angles 30, 45, or 60 degree turns with the plane all the same turn. Can't eliminate the other four choices off the bat 2) It's a little more difficult to see if the aircraft in going into the shore or land at a 45 degree angle and pitching up or down. Just get familiar with the logic and the reasoning behind the diagram and you should do well. Also, speed does help.

rrnavy

Right, "speed is the Key". un fortunatly standardized tests with a time component does not test to see what you know but rather what you dont know, and in spatial, how fast you can recognize and regurgitate stored imiges from memory. Thus if the pics you study are diffrent than the test, regardless of wether or not you understand the underlying principles, your score will suffer because the time component prevents one from imploying intilectual thought and reasioning. Pictures to study more simular or exact to that is on the test would make a huge difference.

rrnavy

P.S. any new gouge at all on ASTB, most on this site is 2 to 4 years old, during the same time period the navy has restructured, and changed the exam several times!

sirenia

Sub Nuke's Wife
rrnavy said:
Any on have any new ASTB gowdge? I have taken the test, and need mor resorces to study with respect to naval crap, and flight aptitude section. Also the new tests, the pics in the spatial section are way different than in ARCo or on this sight. Any recomendations for study material in adition to the gogue on this site and the ARCO book?

Wow! You really need to work on your spellings. And what's the deal with "naval crap"? Odd way of putting it if you are thinking of joining the Navy. In any case, to answer your last post, the ASTB hasn't changed that much in type of questions asked and, therefore, the gouge on this website is pretty good.

For some general ideas on naval terminology, I used this website http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/boating/6_2_b.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.