• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

That New New from TBS 1-14

Chris Lane

So, apparently they are changing the way they distribute MOS's here at TBS, There were ZERO competitive flight contracts, ZERO NFO contracts and only 3 UAV positions to compete for.

Just got the Brief today 20 DEC 2013 from our CO XO.

Ive only had fighter jets on my birthday cakes since I was 7... f*ck me, right?

I'm not sure about the next few company's that will be coming on deck in the next year or so, but my word of advice, get a contract in college...

Semper not enough money,
War Scrod

Renegade One

None
Here, let me google that for you. It's like the search function, but for the entire internet.
Good link, but it seems to imply that you "enter this field" by first being one of the following:
This MOS is to be assigned as a skill designator MOS to qualified Naval Aviators/Naval Flight Officers/Air Command and Control Officers/Low Altitude Air Defense Officers who have [subsequently] successfully completed formal UAV Mission Commander Training.

That's the reason for my question, I guess. Is there now an "Initial Entry Path" to the field, or does one still need to qualify in one of the 4 MOSs listed above first?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Ive only had fighter jets on my birthday cakes since I was 7... f*ck me, right?

I'm not sure about the next few company's that will be coming on deck in the next year or so, but my word of advice, get a contract in college...

Semper not enough money,
War Scrod

...Why did you not get an air contract coming? You aren't very smart if you are going to bitch about not being an aviator if you signed a ground contract. You had to have known coming in that this was not a possibility but what was most likely going to happen.

Ventilee

pilot
Contributor
That's the reason for my question, I guess. Is there now an "Initial Entry Path" to the field, or does one still need to qualify in one of the 4 MOSs listed above first?

The brief we were given(TBS 3-13) stated that they were opening up an 'Initial Entry Path' into the MOS and were taking Lieutenants straight from TBS. I believe they gave an overview of the training pipeline, but I wasn't paying attention.

Renegade One

None
The brief we were given(TBS 3-13) stated that they were opening up an 'Initial Entry Path' into the MOS and were taking Lieutenants straight from TBS. I believe they gave an overview of the training pipeline, but I wasn't paying attention.
Okay. Thanks.

texags

pilot
So, apparently they are changing the way they distribute MOS's here at TBS, There were ZERO competitive flight contracts, ZERO NFO contracts and only 3 UAV positions to compete for.

Dude, most of the time, there are 1-2 competitive pilot slots per company. There have been several companies in the last few years without a single pilot slot. Even if they did have a slot, your chances of getting it would be pretty low. That's why air contracts exist...

SpankenStein

When you're here, your Family.
pilot
...Why did you not get an air contract coming? You aren't very smart if you are going to bitch about not being an aviator if you signed a ground contract. You had to have known coming in that this was not a possibility but what was most likely going to happen.

I signed a ground contract and look at me now.

easyalbert

Can anyone speak to what they look for in choosing who gets the competitive air slots? Is it mainly ASTB scores or ranking at TBS?

SpankenStein

When you're here, your Family.
pilot
Can anyone speak to what they look for in choosing who gets the competitive air slots? Is it mainly ASTB scores or ranking at TBS?
Having just graduated with delta, my mind is pretty fresh. Our company began with zero competitive air slots and ended with 10 available. So it can fluctuate. The key is passing the ASTB and getting through medical. We only had a few guys pass the ASTB. Then one dude didn't get his because of a medical issue. So in our case with ten slots all you needed was not to be a scumbag, or be a mid company ranking guy. Now if you only have 3 competitive air slots you'll need to be higher ranking than all those who have passed the ASTB and all who are medically qualed.