• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

That freakin' bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTodd

Well I had a prep (I teach until I go back) and I was telling the kids at the HS about the USMC. They asked what I hated about taining, you know what I said. That Freakin' bridge that we had to cross 6 times a day. Man I started a count down of how many times left I had crossing it. Now I get to do it again (hopefuly). Oh joy. I always enjoyed being behind a platoon full of smurfs and having to run once they decided to move, good times.

semperfi1812

Alpha Co '04
did anyone see the Discovery Show Myth Busters where they tried to prove/disprove if the supposed myth that marching in formation would bring down a bridge like that. I only heard about it and that it was in fact not a myth. I guess that is why they have you route step across it.
Some renegade platoon at OCS should get together and bring down the bridge by always keeping in step. That would be a great headline in the Marine Corps Times wouldn't it... "150 Marine Corps Officer Candidates were injured in bridge collapse today. Although clearly shaken, the candidates at Quantico's OCS were surprisingly overjoyed and there were reports of laughter and the singing of Kum ba Ya. Candidate Jones who was Candidate Co Commander, when interviewed said this, "We just decided that we had had enough of that bridge and weren't going to cross it one more time. I got my candidate staff together, layed out a quick 5 paragraph order... and well, they got the picture, and we went to work."
Alright, so I thought about it a time or two. Who hasn't. Im just glad Im done. :icon_smil

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good to see people still hate that F@#$ing bridge as much as always. There are two places that I thought might actually be worth the reprocussions to put a pod of zunis into: that bridge and the simulator building in Corpus.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
skidkid said:
There are two places that I thought might actually be worth the reprocussions to put a pod of zunis into: that bridge and the simulator building in Corpus.

AWESOME!!! Especially the Corpus sim building, I was never happier to be done with that thing, even more than crossing the bridge for the last time....

FLMarine

I'll second that about the bridge and building 89. I finished up with the damn sims about three weeks ago and I just had my instrument checkride, passed of course. I hated that damn stank smell of building 89. One of these days I'll get my hands of some extra C4 and put it to good use, lol.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It was about six years for me. I hated the whole thing I had forgotten about the smell ugh. I have friends who went back to instruct and they still hate it in there when they do the IUT stuff. I bet its the same old cranky guys still causing more pain than is necessary

FLMarine

Yep, same old guys. I was *****ing about a couple of the sim instructors when one of my instructors overheard me and starting *****ing about that same guy. Turns out he had several ****ty sims with that same guy several years earlier when he was in primary. Typical stories about the sim instructors.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
..."Tight to the right! Tight to the right, aye Gunnery Sgt."...
..."Step it out! Step it out aye Gunnery Sgt!"...
..."Platoon formation! Platoon formation aye Candidate Plt. Sgt.!"...

Oh the memories from the freagin' bridge!

TANGO 1

Contributor
The bridge is such a nightmare especially for the platoon at the back because you are running the whole time. Wheni was there last year, our platoon staff told us that the Col. was aware of how candidates feel about the bridge and they are trying to build another chow hall on the other side. Well they are constructing something right now overthere who know it might be the chow hall.
Then it sucks when duty platoon is already forming it up at the base of the bridge and the last platoon is running to catch up and close the gap.

Good times, I guess those moments make you appreciate the butter bar you are wearing.

"Candidates, don't for ones think that it is ever going to get easier from here on. Until you leave brown field it is not over. We have dropped Candidates on the last week and we would not hesitate to drop those of you who are not meeting up to standards" -- so said one of our platoon staff when the platoon was not keeping it tight on the bridge.

rsilvy

I remember our last time as duty platoon. This candidate was in India Co. 3rd Plt 1st Increment Jrs '04. The Squad leaders (myself) and the guide decided to have a little fun with 2nd platoon and make them sprint the bridge. We stepped it out after morning chow and had the female platoon and the other male platoon freaking route stepping their breakfast up. By the time we had reached platoon formation, the male platoon was just making it onto the bridge. I remember seeing our Platoon Sergeant staring up at the bridge and shaking his head. We never got in trouble.

Always look to the lighter side.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
TANGO 1 said:
Wheni was there last year, our platoon staff told us that the Col. was aware of how candidates feel about the bridge and they are trying to build another chow hall on the other side. Well they are constructing something right now overthere who know it might be the chow hall.

Why on earth would they go to the trouble of building a new chow hall just because candidates don't like the bridge?!

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
They may be building a new chowhall but I can guarantee that isnt the reason. I am skeptical of any outlay of funds to enhance candidates comfort

rsilvy

New classrooms and enlisted barracks are part of the new construction anyone might see on Brown Field. Does anyone want a new chow hall? I would not, crossing that bridge was awesome after a while. My $.02

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
The only time the crossing the bridge was "awesome" was catching a cab for libo and the last morning chow before graduation. That bridge was designed by psyops to be part of the screw of OCS. It can only be intentional.

Status
Not open for further replies.