• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TH-57 Upgrade News (EFIS)

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
News from the paris Airshow on NAVAIR TH-57 Cockpit Upgrade (EFIS)

What’s the message you’re bringing to the market at Paris?
The big new program we’ve got is the U.S. Navy TH-57 trainer fleet. That’s real exciting, because that’s the launch vehicle for the Cobham cockpit. Chelton Flight Systems technology forms the core for a complete suite of avionics for Cobham. Cobham for years has had a number of “black box” companies, but they’ve never offered system integration or a completely integrated system. That’s what we bring to the table. We bring that platform technology around which all these black boxes can be assembled into a complete system.

For the TH-57, we’re supplying virtually every piece of equipment in the aircraft that has a jiggling electron in it. It has the EFIS, a terrain awareness and warning system (TAWS), a flight management system, an autopilot and stability augmentation system, communications radios, navigation radios, GPS, tactical radios, audio controls, ELT, engine data concentrator, airframe data concentrator, engine display, engine indication and crew alerting system, master caution system, flight data recording. There is a very large amount of capability that’s all been integrated into a single system now. And TH-57 is the first time it’s being deployed as an integrated system. The U.S. Navy has about 125 helicopters in service in the TH-57 fleet, and they’ll be equipping all of them. And the U.S. Army, which flies its TH-67 trainer version of the 206, was involved in the selection process, as well. There is a desire in the military in general for fleet consistency.

What is it that makes the Chelton system so appealing for the helicopter market?
It depends on the pilot. There’s so much capability. Each individual pilot tends to gravitate toward his or her pet capability. There’s the synthetic vision, which is very compelling. That’s the real-time, forward-looking, 3D depiction of terrain, and since it also includes traffic and towers and antennas and navigation aids and the airport environment, it makes for a very compelling, very dramatic improvement to safety. It gives you VFR cueing in limited-visibility situations. So even if you’re in a VFR helicopter and you get into dramatically reduced visibility, even nighttime, the synthetic vision still gives you a sunny day. You can see the mountains and hills, towers, antennas. You can see the buildings. You see other aircraft flying around if you’re equipped with a traffic sensor. In the airport environment, you can see the landing runway.

MasterBates

Anyone else find it ironic that the TH-57 is the most advanced helo (from an avionics standpoint) in the Navy, and is getting even more gucci crap?

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The students might be somewhat disappointed when reporting to the fleet after flying a pimped up 57.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anyone else find it ironic that the TH-57 is the most advanced helo (from an avionics standpoint) in the Navy, and is getting even more gucci crap?

It's definitely not more advanced in avionics than my aircraft. (MH-60S)

Recently coming out of the TH-57 and learning a new glass cockpit, I think this new system is a great idea and will make it easier for the Navy's future students to transition into MH-60R/S platforms. I think if I had gone through the HT syllabus with this system already in place, moving to a glass a cockpit in a fleet helicopter would be less of a transition. Yeah, it might suck for the guys who go from a glass cockpit in the 57 to steam gages in the fleet, but eventually, according to the master helo plan, the Navy is going to have all glass cockpit helicopters anyway. I think this is a good move for the long term.

MasterBates

Well, when you factor in most fleet birds are (and will be unless I'm uninformed, which is likely) still TACAN only, with none of this terrain radar, synthetic vision, etc...

plc67

pilot
Learning to fly a helo after the T-28 almost did me in. Learning to work the FMS in the 767 almost cracked my cranium so I'm lucky I didn't have to do both at once.
Now if I can just get this China flying figured out.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Adi/mfd

So here is a pic of the most recent advertisement for the system. The ADI is overlaid on GPS and map data to give you a virtual view of terrain and obstacles.

The big driver will be the ability to safely conduct VFR flights in as little as 500/1 day and probably 800/2 or so at night/ Pretty impressive capabilities.

Another nice benefit for the students is they can learn to scan one MFD for Attitude and Heading info instead of ADI, HSI, etc.

These systems have been mainstream in GA aircraft for about 4-5 years - so this is no where near new technology. And the fact that this stuff is already TSO'd for Bell 206 series by the FAA is just another positive aspect of this.

This was a very low risk design technology wise it looks like - using mainstream off the shelf technology - which the TH-57 has done all along since the days of the KNS-81 RNAV!!

TH57EFIS.jpg

hscs

pilot
this system looks like an improvement on what LMSI put in the 60R/S. I like everything shown upfront in one area. Might be nice for TERFing....