• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Texting and driving perhaps? RJ - 1, Chevy - 0

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Things didn't end well for this driver...
That will not buff out.
Isn’t that the one where someone was bouncing, and ended up stuck in the delta pattern whilst all the buffoonery was ongoing? I think we had a thread on that ATT.

I seem to recall it being reported that the driver ended up getting decapitated by the aft end of the stab . . .

HuggyU2

None
I remember someone posting here about the TAV-8B that landed on the mattresses was sitting in the hangar getting fixed afterwards and when it got hit by some yellow gear after the Marine driving it passed out after sniffing glue.

EDIT: So when I Googled 'TAV-8B mattresses' I came across a link to an article in The Blaze (Glenn Back's 'news' site) that has pics of the incident, with an 'Air Warriors' credit under them, and a link back to this thread on AW describing the mishap. Small internets I suppose....

Here is HarrierDude's summary of the fun:

{more words}
Hahaha! I had not seen this post until just now.

One of the first two Harrier Drivers to come to the U-2 was the "mattress pilot". He tells a great story! "Beans" Van de Kamp was the O-6 MAG CO that directed the mattress landing. Great idea... until the Serta Posturpedic springs met the Rolls Royce fan blades. Doh!!

I met Beans a few years ago at the Miramar Airshow and was tempted to ask about the event... but I showed remarkable restraint! That said, he was pretty nice to us.

Military aviation... it's like no other world... with a cast of characters that make the entire experience a joy to be around. You can't make this shit up... and if you did, it wouldn't be as good as reality. We've all made big mistakes, and we've all given a ton of shit to others that have done the same.

You fuckers are alright!!

HuggyU2

None
I seem to recall it being reported that the driver ended up getting decapitated by the aft end of the stab . . .
I saw the longer video shortly after the event. IIRC, the gal in the passenger seat was decapitated. The driver took a major hit to the chest, stopped the car, got out, and died next to the car about the time the gendarmerie was arriving.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Isn’t that the one where someone was bouncing, and ended up stuck in the delta pattern whilst all the buffoonery was ongoing? I think we had a thread on that ATT.

I don't remember the detail about someone bouncing, but the CHP(?) helicopter was overhead the entire time. But the rest of the score is history: Stab 2, Junkies 0.

When you see the officer get out of the helo, and then they shut down... "We're gonna be here for a little while" :eek: