• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Texting and driving perhaps? RJ - 1, Chevy - 0

exNavyOffRec

wow, I would normally make some smart ass comment but given the damage to the truck and that the drivers condition is unknown I will refrain.

Malo83

Keep the Faith
Looks like Chevys and planes don't get along :D
f15_bizarre_01.jpg

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I remember someone posting here about the TAV-8B that landed on the mattresses was sitting in the hangar getting fixed afterwards and when it got hit by some yellow gear after the Marine driving it passed out after sniffing glue.

EDIT: So when I Googled 'TAV-8B mattresses' I came across a link to an article in The Blaze (Glenn Back's 'news' site) that has pics of the incident, with an 'Air Warriors' credit under them, and a link back to this thread on AW describing the mishap. Small internets I suppose....

Here is HarrierDude's summary of the fun:

This comes under the heading "truth is sometimes stranger than fiction".

That is a TAV-8B assigned to VMAT-203 in Cherry Point. They experienced hung landing gear (repeat gripe on that jet) and contacted base for troubleshooting. The EP involves cycling some circuit breakers, cycling the gear, and requesting visual inspection. If none of that works (which it didn't), you blow down the gear.

At some point, the squadron let the MAG CO what was going on (for what reason, I have no idea). He was worried that if they blew the gear down and the nose gear still hung up, it would crack the frame of one of the scarce T-birds. He directed that the pilot do a gear up vertical landing. It would crush the strakes and probably FOD the motor, but it's better than cracking the frame. He directed the mattresses to be placed under the nose.

When the pilot heard about all of this, he refused to do it unless he heard it directly from the MAG CO. The MAG CO got on the radio and told him to do it. The landing was pretty unremarkable, despite the photos. The damage was limited to the engine (Fodded), and the strakes (crushed). Expensive, but not the end of the world. When they jacked it up, they we able to blow the gear down with no problems.

This is when the story gets even weirder. Once the jet was in the hangar, relatively undamaged, an EZ-go golf cart came flying into the hangar and smashed into the jet, causing some D-level repair damage.

It turns out that LCpl. Schmuckatelli was huffing keyboard cleaner before making his parts run in the EZ-go. He got really dizzy, lost consciousness, and the cart went out of control. It drove directly into the hangar at full speed through a gap in the hangar doors and smashed the jet. Like I said, the truth is sometimes stranger than fiction. You couldn't make up something that bizarre.

post-2-1403853163.jpg

Last edited:

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
That will not buff out.
Just begs the question for me: why the fuck don’t gate guards hit the big fucking red button for the barriers?

Reminds me when I got launched on a SAR in the middle of the Atlantic. Of course, it was an absolutely shit day for ceiling and vis. The aft lookout didn’t bother to toss a candle after seeing what he thought was a person in the water. . . WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK THOSE ARE FOR?!?!

Rant over.

jmcquate

Contributor
I remember someone posting here about the TAV-8B that landed on the mattresses was sitting in the hangar getting fixed afterwards and when it got hit by some yellow gear after the Marine driving it passed out after sniffing glue.

EDIT: So when I Googled 'TAV-8B mattresses' I came across a link to an article in The Blaze (Glenn Back's 'news' site) that has pics of the incident, with an 'Air Warriors' credit under them, and a link back to this thread on AW describing the mishap. Small internets I suppose....

Here is HarrierDude's summary of the fun:

This comes under the heading "truth is sometimes stranger than fiction".

That is a TAV-8B assigned to VMAT-203 in Cherry Point. They experienced hung landing gear (repeat gripe on that jet) and contacted base for troubleshooting. The EP involves cycling some circuit breakers, cycling the gear, and requesting visual inspection. If none of that works (which it didn't), you blow down the gear.

At some point, the squadron let the MAG CO what was going on (for what reason, I have no idea). He was worried that if they blew the gear down and the nose gear still hung up, it would crack the frame of one of the scarce T-birds. He directed that the pilot do a gear up vertical landing. It would crush the strakes and probably FOD the motor, but it's better than cracking the frame. He directed the mattresses to be placed under the nose.

When the pilot heard about all of this, he refused to do it unless he heard it directly from the MAG CO. The MAG CO got on the radio and told him to do it. The landing was pretty unremarkable, despite the photos. The damage was limited to the engine (Fodded), and the strakes (crushed). Expensive, but not the end of the world. When they jacked it up, they we able to blow the gear down with no problems.

This is when the story gets even weirder. Once the jet was in the hangar, relatively undamaged, an EZ-go golf cart came flying into the hangar and smashed into the jet, causing some D-level repair damage.

It turns out that LCpl. Schmuckatelli was huffing keyboard cleaner before making his parts run in the EZ-go. He got really dizzy, lost consciousness, and the cart went out of control. It drove directly into the hangar at full speed through a gap in the hangar doors and smashed the jet. Like I said, the truth is sometimes stranger than fiction. You couldn't make up something that bizarre.

post-2-1403853163.jpg
LCpl. Schmuckatelli
If that is your real name................