• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Texas Gov Perry

H20man

Drill baby drill!
Oh not so fast, young grasshopper ... I'd move to Austin, Fredricksburg, and the so-called 'Hill Country' ... and everywhere SOUTH of that line .... and thoroughly enjoy it.

And I've lived and breathed in Tejas for the better part of @ 15 years ... :)

I agree, I love the hill country.

Having spent a good part of my life as a Navy brat in San Diego I went kicking and screaming to Texas when my dad retired, but the hill country changed my mind.

Bevo16

pilot
One vote for the Gulf Coast as well.

August%20005.jpg

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I've always fancied myself a fisherman...brook and rainbows on a fly rod were my bread and butter growing up, and I'll clean out a pond of largemouth bass or crappie, and poling for snook and tarpon or going offshore and hitting a weedline for mahi and kings was never an issue...but I have NEVER been humbled by a species of fish like I have the gulf coast reds. I fished until I was so frustrated I couldn't fish anymore trying to catch a red, and the one time I hooked into what I think was a red happened to be the one time I had plain old monafilament on it. One trip over the oyster bed was enough to leave me pissed off, tired, and ready for a case of beer.

I still haven't caught a f***ing redfish to this day. The Redfish...Scoolbubba's nemesis.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I've always fancied myself a fisherman...brook and rainbows on a fly rod were my bread and butter growing up, and I'll clean out a pond of largemouth bass or crappie, and poling for snook and tarpon or going offshore and hitting a weedline for mahi and kings was never an issue...but I have NEVER been humbled by a species of fish like I have the gulf coast reds. I fished until I was so frustrated I couldn't fish anymore trying to catch a red, and the one time I hooked into what I think was a red happened to be the one time I had plain old monafilament on it. One trip over the oyster bed was enough to leave me pissed off, tired, and ready for a case of beer.

I still haven't caught a f***ing redfish to this day. The Redfish...Scoolbubba's nemesis.

You mean like the one below? I had no idea they were hard to catch :D

This is a picture of my cousin. He's a big time hunter and Redfish/Tarpon guy. Lives in Ocala but fishes out of Crystal River. I'm no fisherman but I've never been with him when we didn't catch Redfish. He just knows where to go I guess. He called me last week and said there was a huge school feeding at his favorite hole and for me to get my ass down there asap. I can't go this weekend but will the next.

You need to drive down from Jax and I'll hook you up.

NolanJrandaRedDrum.jpg

scoolbubba

pilot
Contributor
Part of my problem is not knowing spots/not knowing enough about the fish, and the other part is lack of access to a boat once I moved away from dad/grandfather.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
One vote for the Gulf Coast as well.

August%20005.jpg

I can second that. Having never lived more than about 40 minutes from the beach before in my life, prior to Meridian, I miss the abundance of fresh quality seafood/fish.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Part of my problem is not knowing spots/not knowing enough about the fish, and the other part is lack of access to a boat once I moved away from dad/grandfather.

I hear you. I'm the same way.

This guy lives in the woods and on the water. He's a commercial real estate guy by trade but he's fishing or hunting during every min of his free time. He knows the Crystal River area like the back of his hand and has a custom built boat just to go after Redfish and Tarpon. He fishes in a lot of Redfish tournaments and last year finished in the money in more than one. Nice work if you can get it.

Bevo16

pilot
Schoolbubba,

The Gulf Coast Reds are all about the bait. If there are live shrimp in the water, then that is what you need to be fishing with. Reds feed by smell when the water is hot, so if you give your live shrimp a little pinch behind the head before you throw it in (don't kill it) you will release some shrimp oil into the water and he be the most attractive shrimp in the bay.

In the winter, the best bait in the world is a copper spoon. It looks like a baby redfish to the reds, and they have no trouble eating their own. If the water is muddy, go with gold, if it is really muddy, silver.

scoolbubba

pilot
Contributor
Schoolbubba,

The Gulf Coast Reds are all about the bait. If there are live shrimp in the water, then that is what you need to be fishing with. Reds feed by smell when the water is hot, so if you give your live shrimp a little pinch behind the head before you throw it in (don't kill it) you will release some shrimp oil into the water and he be the most attractive shrimp in the bay.

In the winter, the best bait in the world is a copper spoon. It looks like a baby redfish to the reds, and they have no trouble eating their own. If the water is muddy, go with gold, if it is really muddy, silver.

This could have been helpful when I was in corpus. We used mostly dead shrimp or spoons in the summertime. I guess that's what I get for not doing my homework.

Bevo16

pilot
If anyone is in Corpus and looking for a guided trip, I know a good one. He works with my dad in the oil field and guides fishing trips part time. He will put you on the fish.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
This could have been helpful when I was in corpus. We used mostly dead shrimp or spoons in the summertime. I guess that's what I get for not doing my homework.

Last time I went back in Oct we were using live bait. I think they were needle fish but I'm not sure. My cousin said the fishing was slow but we caught several Redfish. A couple were over and a couple were under but there were enough keepers to make supper.