• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Texas A&M/STA-21/NROTC question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BestDamnET

The name say's it all
In preparing to submit my package for STA-21, I am looking into which university I would apply to assuming God shines upon me and I get selected for this opportunity.

One place I can see myself going to school is Texas A&M. Is anyone here going there right now and going via the STA-21 program? What do you think of the school, NROTC program and the area of town? How's the quality of life in College Station? Good housing? Did you find the adjustment to A&M from Navy life difficult?

Thanks for the help.

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
As a STA-21 guy/gal you won't have to participate in the corps just ROTC. The town and school is awesome and I could never see myself going any where else if I had to do it over again.

ironhorse

2nd LT
I am a recent graduate of Texas A&M and was a member of the Texas Aggie Corps of Cadets. I will say that there is no other ROTC program like it, anywhere. Texas A&M had more commissioned officers serving in WWII than any of the academies combined.

"Give me an army of westpoint graduates, and I'll win the battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies, and I'll win the war."
- Patton

enough said.

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
I was a prior when I went to A&M as well, and although Ironhorseis right about the stellar program they have in the Corps, you will not HAVE to participate in that as STA-21. You just have to do regular ROTC stuff. Not that there is anything wrong with being in the Corps, but returning from the fleet to go to school, I felt no need to go through that. If that is your thing, it can be a load of fun. The best thing is that you will have the choice.

Ex Rigger

pilot
I currently attend Texas A&M here as an OC and will graduate here in August but will be stashed here for awhile. I love it here and am very glad I made the decision to come here. You DO NOT have any interaction with the Corps and can't join even if you want to. The unit really leaves us alone and expects us to do well in class. Leadership positions within the battalion are there if you want them but most of the time you won't be pressured into anything. Unlike alot of units it's really laid back here. The University is large,45,000 plus, but it doesn't feel that way. The town is great for me. It's a smallish town but I like that and it's centered around the University. Some people have a hard time getting accepted (admissions), you may be fine but I thought I would just throw it out there. If you have anymore questions you can email me at normanja211@yahoo.com anytime and I'll give you my phone number.

Ex Rigger

pilot
And to answer another question of yours. I didn't think that it was that hard to adjust. You only wear a uniform once a week for about an hour and a half so get used to that. Get used to lots and lots of girls if you can handle that and get used to studying alot. One thing that I miss from the fleet is the fact that when I get off work, I'm done. Here at school you have homework, study groups and all kinds of other BS. Either way its alot of fun and you won't regret coming to A&M. If you ever make it by here let me know and I will take you around. I should mention that you can look at University of Texas too. I visited both schools and felt that A&M was definitely the best fit for me. I think there may be a couple UT guys on here. Again, let me know if you got any more questions.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
SUNY Maritime is the same. Most military schools don't even give the option to STA21 OCs to join the corps. Maritime has a Corps of Cadets, and due to that being the major facet of the school the NROTC requires civillian Midshipmen and OCs to wear a Navy uniform to school five days a week. Normanja211, Is this also required at A&M?

Ex Rigger

pilot
No, that's not a requirement. The University has about 45,000 students. The Corps is only about 2,500 students so they are not the main facet here. The only time the unit has anything to do with us is on Thursdays, which is when we wear our unform to class. However, at schools such as yours and the Citadel where it is ONLY or mostly a military school then the OC's have to wear a uniform everyday.

BestDamnET

The name say's it all
Thanks, normanja211 and all, for that info. That's a big help. Being married, it sounds like the only problem I'd have is the "lot's and lot's of girls". I went to the University of Houston before I came into the Navy, so hopefully I'm not too far out of university life.

I'll definitely keep your email address in case I end up there.

Ex Rigger

pilot
I got married in January too. Had to grab one up before I check outta here and get to anywhere that's not Texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.