• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Testing Materials: Calculator?

Stretch32

I vaugely remember having a calculator available to me when I took the ASTB 5yrs ago. I was told I wouldn't be permitted to have one this go round which seems odd given some of the problems that I'm sure will be encountered on the test. Is it true that you can't use a calculator, not even a plain low-tech version with zero funtions? It just seemed a bit odd to me given some of the fraction and percent type problems where converting to decimals is the prefered method to solve them.

Stretch

Tom

pilot
Contributor
When I took the computerized version the program had a calculator built into it. I brought a simple calculator and my recruiter had to take it away.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
No calculator when I took it last year. The numbers were easy to work with anyway.

Stretch32

Wow, so if you take the computerized version you'll get a basic calculator otherwise none at all. It is true the numbers are easy to work with I was just thinking of time and some of the numbers can get cumbersome if your not great at math. How long do you get for the math section and how many problems does it consist of? I'll be retaking this test next Thursday so just a few questions. Can you select which version you get or do they just grab one and give it to you? I can take any of the current versions as my original test was the discontinued Ver 1. I've heard/read Ver 3 is the "easiest" but I would think they're all equally difficult as they're used to evaluate the same thing on a level playing field.Stretch

Scotty-O

Due to the government,I feel over-stimulated.
No calculator in my computer version taken this past February.

Agree with BigRed - paper is faster for those problems on the test.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Maybe I am mistaken. Looking back though they never had you doing much stuff that would require a calculator in the first place.

Stretch32

Ok sounds good. Does anybody know how many problems are in the math section and how much time you get to complete it?Stretch

schwarti

Contributor
I took it yesterday on the computer - no calculator anywhere. Would have been nice, but wasn't really necessary.

Oh, and it was 30 questions, 25 minutes... I think. Around that, anyway.

MettGT

pilot
Can you select the version you take or do they just draw one randomly?

They selected mine for me. As long as you are prepared, I don't think the version you get is going to make that huge of a difference. The most important thing is to be prepared as best as possible.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
Well, I applied for Marine OCS. Therefore, old school paper and pencil was all that was available. No computers.

Actually, the month I took it was the first time the Corps used paper ASTB forms just handed down from the Navy. The previous month, the only thing in the budget was your choice of papyrus scrolls or chiseling your answers in stone, using an abacus for calculations. :)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
as long as you know basic multiplication tables (don't laugh....I couldn't remember a couple for a few precious seconds), and can do the inevitable "find the 4th test score that yields an average of 48 if the first 3 scores were 55, 53, 50". I'm sure there are many ways to do this, but I like making everything into unit/decimals.....so it would be like 5.5+5.3+5.0+x = 4.8 x 3......just easier to add mentally than juggling 3 digits around

and yes, no calculator on any ASTB....otherwise the math section would seriously need to be half as long (in duration) to be fair.

Also, they may ask something like "what is the cubic root of (some random @ss number that you probably wouldn't know the cube root of) times 3".....and all the answers will be whole numbers. You don't need a calculator for a problem like this, as only 1 or 2 of the choices will even be divisible by 3. So if you are smart about it, a lot of times you don't even need to do the math as weird as that sounds