• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Test piloting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raptor2216

At what pilot in his career can a pilot apply for a shot at becoming a test pilot? Also, is it possible for a USMC pilot to get a slot or is it only the AF and the Navy guys that are given the chance? Also, would I have to complete my term with the Marines before I start test flying? And lastly, only test pilots can go to fly the shuttle, right? If anyone has additional info then please let me know. Thanks.

Rainman

pilot
You need to have 1000 hours of military PIC time by the time the USNTPS class convenes (not absolute) and a BS in physical science or engineering (also not absolute). So you would apply like a year or so ahead of time. There are two programs. One you go to Navy Postgraduate School first and earn a MS then go to USNTPS and the other you just start at USNTPS after some refresher training in some a/c. So many slots go to Marine Naval Aviators. They also select aviators for foreign exchange programs and AF exchange program. Don't know much about the AF program, but I believe it is longer than 1 year as you do an actual project after the initial year of flying lots of a/c. You would be a Marine (or Navy or whatever) while attending USNTPS. No, being a test pilot isn't a prerequisite to fly the shuttle, but it is preferred.

Grandmaster posted this link which has most of the info:

http://www.usntps.navy.mil/apply.htm

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
Good gouge. Most apply close to, or after, the intial fleet tour. Pretty sure there's an additional service obligation - especially for the MS degree.

LUCK = THE INTERSECTION OF PREPARATION AND OPPORTUNITY

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
2nd that, but you definitely don't need 1000 PIC, especially when talking multi-piloted A/C. I know a guy who's doing the masters/TPS track with about 500PIC, 1300 TT.

I don't know the service ob. specifically for TPS, but generally any service school >/= 26 wks rates a 2 yr ob, while a masters rates a 3 yr payback. Taken together, I don't know.

Phrogs phorever

Adrenaline Rush

so if you get your masters through the marines as an aviator you add 3 years to your 10 year (or less) committment??? what if you dont go to the naval post grad school, do you still incur this committment increase?

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
Depends on the program... Typically if you get your degree on the military's time and/or dime, there's a payback, no matter where you get it.

HOWEVER - in the USN (not sure about USMC), sometimes the obligation can run CONCURRENTLY with your flight school commitment. If anyone can confirm if the USMC works the same way, that will hopefully answer your question.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Most service obligations run concurrently with any previous obligation. I don't think that this is any exception.

Like I said before, any major school will have an obligation, especially an expensive one like TPS.

Phrogs phorever

Rainman

pilot
ROGER! Total Time.

Yeah, it runs concurrently; so I guess you'd want to time it right (before inital naval aviation commitment) to maximize possible Aviation Continuation Pay

Semper Fi

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
Originally posted by jwilliamsee
yea and how can you apply for a college masters program before you even finish flight school

Not sure what you mean by "before you even finish flight school."
icon_smile_question.gif

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Originally posted by Adrenaline Rush
i dont understand,, aviation incentive bonus?? can you clarify josh
Rush, there are two types of pay being talked about, one is your monthly flight pay, you can find that on the pay chart, check out this link for pdf file download of all the military pays (http://www.dfas.mil/money/milpay/pay/01-2002.pdf), and then there are the bonuses to keep Aviators in the military when their commitment is up, right now it is up to $25,000 a year for signing on for 5 more years (depending on what platform you fly and what you do). Here is an abstract of what I am talking about.

Monthly Aviation Career Incentive Pay
<2 yrs $125
>2 yrs $156
>3 yrs $188
>4 yrs $206
>6 yrs $650 <<-- Aviation Commitment is about to run out, let's keep you in!

Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP)

Couldn't find the Navy's rates, but I know they are similar, but this is from the FY03 ACP program message put out by the USMC:

Code:
HAVE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING AVIATION MOS'S DEFINED BY TYPE COMMUNITIES:
       (1) FIXED WING PILOTS:
           7509 (AV-8)     7543 (EA-6B)
           7523 (F/A-18)   7556/57 (KC-130)
       (2) ROTARY WING PILOTS:
           7532 (MV-22)    7564 (CH-53D)
           7562 (CH-46)    7565 (AH-1)
           7563 (UH-1)     7566 (CH-53E)
       (3) NAVAL FLIGHT OFFICERS:
           7525 (F/A-18 WSO)
           7588 (EA-6B ECMO)

(1) SHORT-TERM CONTRACT (12 TO 36 MONTH AGREEMENT)
    (A) ANNUAL AMOUNTS ARE LISTED BELOW BY TYPE COMMUNITY. INDIVIDUAL MOS'S ARE LISTED IN PAR 2F ABOVE:
               (1) FIXED WING PILOTS:      $18,000 PER ANNUM.
               (2) ROTARY WING PILOTS:     $ 6,000 PER ANNUM.
               (3) NAVAL FLIGHT OFFICERS:  $ 6,000 PER ANNUM

(2) LONG-TERM CONTRACT. THIS OPTION IS ONLY AVAILABLE FOR MAJORS OR MAJOR SELECTS WITH 37 MONTHS OR MORE TO COMPLETE 16 YCS.
    (A) ANNUAL AMOUNTS ARE LISTED BELOW BY TYPE COMMUNITY. INDIVIDUAL MOS'S ARE DESCRIBED IN PAR 2F ABOVE:
               (1) FIXED WING PILOTS:      $25,000 PER ANNUM.
               (2) ROTARY WING PILOTS:     $12,000 PER ANNUM.
               (3) NAVAL FLIGHT OFFICERS:  $12,000 PER ANNUM.

Hope that answers your question.

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
Information overload!! John, couldn't you have given us a few Power-Points and some charts along with this???[:p]

Navy bonus pay is currently equal for fixed-wing and helo pilots. Three years/$75,000, or five years/$125,000. You can get it broken up equally each year or get half up front.

That's a LOT of money for a guy who's "on the fence..."!!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Patience grasshopper, the YNs are working on it...

Like GM said, a definite influence. Gee, get out and work for the airlines, and watch my pay get cut in half, OR take the money from the military and retire, THEN go work for the airlines??? Decisions, decisions.... Not one I will be facing anytime soon, but those that are prepared.....

Status
Not open for further replies.