• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Terrified - Entering OCS In Two Days

JONNY

I'm heading to OCS in October and I found this thread to be really motivating as well. I recently watched a documentary of BUD/s training for Navy SEALS and that definitely put OCS into perspective. Also, yes, it could be Marine OCS. Enjoy OCS and I will be there shortly!

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Sorry, I'm not following exactly...I just know that that the failed card pt to pts blow my mind...

Direct, Enter. Easy Day. :icon_smil

Seriously though, how is it taught? That's not in the syllabus at Whiting. I can think of a bunch of ways to do it, but what's the way it's taught?

(yeah, it's a threadjack, but the OP is on vacation.)

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Sorry, I'm not following exactly...I just know that that the failed card pt to pts blow my mind...

I just assumed you'd have something better than the failure prone DG in the T-2B we had. I truly hated flying the T-2, whether it was the syllabus the instructors or going through in the winter doing said point to points I relished moving on and it even led to my callsign.

torpedo0126

Seriously though, how is it taught? That's not in the syllabus at Whiting. I can think of a bunch of ways to do it, but what's the way it's taught?

Its not so much taught as it is just a bunch of techniques. Nothing really changes. Despite the frozen card, your RMI needle stills provides magnetic radial information and the HSI will still center up. However, since the card is frozen, you may see the head rise and tail fall. That can make the pt to pts trickier because when you do your pencil or straight line method or whatever technique you use, you might accidentally give yourself a turn in the opposite direction.

Once you are actually on the approach, its not so bad. Not all the instructors make you do a failed card pt to pt. I know of one person who got failed card intersection holding on their checkride about a month ago...other than that you see it mainly for for no gyro PAR/ASR.

If the IP REALLY wants to mess with you, he can unslave it and put the card into a continual spin.

I just assumed you'd have something better than the failure prone DG in the T-2B we had. I truly hated flying the T-2, whether it was the syllabus the instructors or going through in the winter doing said point to points I relished moving on and it even led to my callsign.

Haha, I understand. Yea, its never actually failed for me, just been failed intentionally. And maybe this is just my inexperience showing, but unless there was no radar service available, no GPS, etc, I would make the controller say "f--- you" before I accepted a clearance involving failed card pt. to pts. Again, that could just be my inexperience and that I am not an extraordinary pilot.